Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I want a design overhaul. Material design makes iOS feel too antiquated.

I expect a night mode, split-screen multi-tasking, group FaceTime Audio and Video Chat, an upgraded Siri Assistant or Siri becoming intuitive, the rest might be up in the air because iOS 11 is the precursor to the next iPhone.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
I would personally like to see a tidy up of the OS and apps. e.g. merge facetime into the phone and messages app, it doesn't need a separate app.

group facetime audio and video calls

Redesign on control centre. more customisable.

Siri big update. More natural conversation. ability to have a continuous conversation. e.g. ask 1 question and then ask a follow up etc. Ability to use text instead of voice with Siri. Update the widgets page to be the Siri section, recommendations on travel time, news etc. Need to link more services to Siri, transit being one

More API access to notifications and notification centre. E.g. somebody leaves you a facebook comment, ability to see the comment and 'like' from the notification centre

I would actually be quite interested in a 'Work Mode'. Between XX:XX and XX:XX hours, I want to see these groups of apps and email accounts forefront, but outside of those hours I want a different set of apps, wallpaper etc.

Dark mode

Put camera options back in to the camera app and not in settings

Offline maps in Apple maps

build find my friends into the OS. I don't need a separate app, just go to that contact and see their location (if approved of course)

Reactions: skinned66 and Feyl

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Please explain

In the Messages app, go onto a thread where the contact has already accepted your location request invitation in Find My Friends. Then, press the 'i' button in the top-right. You'll see it retrieve their current location away from the FMF app.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
In the Messages app, go onto a thread where the contact has already accepted your location request invitation in Find My Friends. Then, press the 'i' button in the top-right. You'll see it retrieve their current location away from the FMF app.

interesting. Does that still work with the find my friends app deleted? Strange that its in messages and not contacts/phone though, but guess its half the way there

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
interesting. Does that still work with the find my friends app deleted? Strange that its in messages and not contacts/phone though, but guess its half the way there

You'd have to try, I wouldn't be willing to since my family use it in case of emergencies but I imagine it wouldn't work - it has to be getting that location data from the FMF app.

It is strange it's not in Contacts, but I'm not too fussed about using the dedicated app.

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
I would personally like to see a tidy up of the OS and apps. e.g. merge facetime into the phone and messages app, it doesn't need a separate app.

group facetime audio and video calls

Redesign on control centre. more customisable.

Siri big update. More natural conversation. ability to have a continuous conversation. e.g. ask 1 question and then ask a follow up etc. Ability to use text instead of voice with Siri. Update the widgets page to be the Siri section, recommendations on travel time, news etc. Need to link more services to Siri, transit being one

More API access to notifications and notification centre. E.g. somebody leaves you a facebook comment, ability to see the comment and 'like' from the notification centre

I would actually be quite interested in a 'Work Mode'. Between XX:XX and XX:XX hours, I want to see these groups of apps and email accounts forefront, but outside of those hours I want a different set of apps, wallpaper etc.

Dark mode

Put camera options back in to the camera app and not in settings

Offline maps in Apple maps

build find my friends into the OS. I don't need a separate app, just go to that contact and see their location (if approved of course)

The "Work" Mode used to be my favourite feature of Nokia Symbian OS devices! You could select "work" or "personal" and your Nokia smartphone's home screen would change icons, wallpapers, ringing mode etc accordingly! All at the press of a couple of buttons! Loved it

Reactions: Shirasaki

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

The people finder in Messages appears to be simply an embedded instance of Find My Friends. If you tap on the map, it will open the full app.

Jordan246

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
Hi i have a question for you guys. The last time we had a interface refresh for ios was ios 7 and since then nothing much has changed with other iOS updates. So do you guys think ios 11 will have a redesigned interface this year. Please respond back i would appreciate it. Thanks

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Hi i have a question for you guys. The last time we had a interface refresh for ios was ios 7 and since then nothing much has changed with other iOS updates. So do you guys think ios 11 will have a redesigned interface this year. Please respond back i would appreciate it. Thanks

We should get some form of redesign, or at least I hope so anyway.

iOS1 - iOS3 same design
iOS4 design change - iOS6
iOS7 design change - iOS10

So looking at that, we are overdue a design change if the trend remains the same.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
We should get some form of redesign, or at least I hope so anyway.

iOS1 - iOS3 same design
iOS4 design change - iOS6
iOS7 design change - iOS10

So looking at that, we are overdue a design change if the trend remains the same.
That's not entirely true.. iOS 6 is still the same as iOS4.. just look at the picture.
aBv4F.png

- iOS 4
IOS_6_Home_Screen.png

- iOS 6
The BIG change came with iOS 7. and is still present in iOS 10 today. Will they tweak some icons, CC, NC, widgets, etc maybe and probably but not a system wide overhall.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Siri that works.
Apple Maps that works.
Apple Maps StreetView.
Night mode.
Faster Safari scrolling (on the way!)
Fix to the blank page Safari bug!
Google Photos iMessage compatibility.
Split-screen CarPlay.
FaceTime Picture-in-picture.
10GB Free iCloud backup (so old people can stop bothering me).
iMessage payment system.

That sums it up for me.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
10GB Free iCloud backup (so old people can stop bothering mr

Oh god i know exactly what you mean!

"I bought a 128 GB iPhone. Why is it full already!"

"This annoying pop up wont go away even tho i have 100 GB free!"

"I cleaned out my iPhone but it keeps saying it is full when it is not!"

"I am not gonna spent 99 cent on storage" ... even tho "i" just bought my daughter and wife a brand new BMW. Each!

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
An image on Twitter (likely fake)

DBXSwnIVoAAWWUn.jpg

Imagine if they did this and all icons became 'alive' within a semi-transparent rounded rectangle (allowed to leave the boundaries by a small amount). Would be a massive change.

Also if tilting the phone moved or altered the light on the icons, that would be crazy cool.

I really am expecting no UI changes for iOS 11 (including no dark mode) so as not to be disappointed.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
That's not entirely true.. iOS 6 is still the same as iOS4.. just look at the picture.
aBv4F.png

- iOS 4
IOS_6_Home_Screen.png

- iOS 6
The BIG change came with iOS 7. and is still present in iOS 10 today. Will they tweak some icons, CC, NC, widgets, etc maybe and probably but not a system wide overhall.
I didn't say iOS6 was a design change?
iOS7 is the design change. Read my post again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.