Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AppleFanToo

Suspended
Sep 5, 2022
Posting here BC my other thread didn't win any answers. My iPhone 8 Plus on iOS 16 does not show the wallpaper when rotated horizontally, the background becomes black. Is it a feature I am unaware of?

You can't rotate the home screen? [EDIT - Perhaps you can on a 'Plus' sized phone]

Or do you mean that when you do turn your phone sideways, the wallpaper just disappears (mine doesn't!) ?

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
You can't rotate the home screen? [EDIT - Perhaps you can on a 'Plus' sized phone]

Or do you mean that when you do turn your phone sideways, the wallpaper just disappears (mine doesn't!) ?

As I understand it, you cannot rotate the screen currently on any phone with FaceID or any iPhone with widget on a Home Screen.

Nic727

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
I was not talking about the battery percentage in the status bar. I was talking about the lockscreen.

On iOS 15 and below, when you plug in the charger, the date will turn into the battery percentage for a moment then back to the date. And you can retrigger this by tapping the screen. Much better than looking at a tiny icon in the corner, can see it at a glance without picking up the phone.
I have same problem with my iPhone 8. On iOS 15, I was able to see battery percentage when charging and now I can’t know.

Also I hate everything about the battery in iOS 16.

- Percentage not showing while in battery saver mode. You only have the option between on and off.
- Battery percentage only showing in control panel which is kind of annoying.
- Massive battery drain and I got a new battery a month ago.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
You know those little dots at the bottom of the screen that told you how many screens there were, which one you are on and also had a fun tactile feel if you scrolled across it, well all that has now been replaced with a search button. What I don't understand is that the entire screen is already a search button in that the smallest stroke will bring down the same search function. So what is the point, I mean who is going to press that button instead of doing what is already done i.e. drag down a few mms. I see no logic at all in this interface tweak. I mean were there people here who complained to apple that it was too confusing to be able to drag down anywhere on the screen, they needed a special button to press, a button that was always in the same place instead of confusingly, anywhere?

Reactions: fredrik9

AppleFanToo

Suspended
Sep 5, 2022
You know those little dots at the bottom of the screen that told you how many screens there were, which one you are on and also had a fun tactile feel if you scrolled across it, well all that has now been replaced with a search button. What I don't understand is that the entire screen is already a search button in that the smallest stroke will bring down the same search function. So what is the point, I mean who is going to press that button instead of doing what is already done i.e. drag down a few mms. I see no logic at all in this interface tweak. I mean were there people here who complained to apple that it was too confusing to be able to drag down anywhere on the screen, they needed a special button to press, a button that was always in the same place instead of confusingly, anywhere?

I totally agree.

iOS 16 introduced an option to turn the search field off (I've turned mine off) - look in the Settings.

Reactions: fredrik9 and Beards

deadlock

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Discoverability is a real issue in iOS these days. I've still not managed to program myself that the Dynamic Island has a useful "long press" despite seeing it highlighted in almost every review

My guess is that the Search button was added because Apple's research has shown enough people didn't know how to pull down.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Is anyone seeing having an issue with their phone asking to re-authenticate with AppleID password after reboot?
I shut down my phone at night and just about every morning it asks me to re-authenticate after I boot up.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England

Press and hold on the search button that replaced the dots and move your finger, it behaves the same and changes from 'Search' to the dots whilst you do it.

People have choice about searching, different ways, no harm in that. I have seen requests for it, as some people don't realise about swiping down.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I totally agree.

iOS 16 introduced an option to turn the search field off (I've turned mine off) - look in the Settings.
Excellent, all is well with the world again.

I just misplace my phone in my room so I went to Find My Phone on the Mac and I already had one finger on my ear and head cocked at a strange angle waiting for the impossible to locate frequency where the phone can be anywhere and sound like it is anywhere except where it is. Lo and Frikken Behold, they have put a new easy to find sound. How many years did that take?

MadAngelUK

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Is there any ios 16 versions where Kindle is working.
My Janet Yellen book is unreadable with log in not possible.

thanks
It's been fine for me since the upgrade to 14 Pro Max and iOS 16 (now 16.0.2). In terms of the log-in make sure you aren't logged into your Kindle account on too many devices. I think the limit is five devices but I'm not sure. If you're logged in on old devices you no longer own or have wiped, you can manage your devices on the Amazon Website and remove those devices from your account. Other than that I'm not sure...

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
It's been fine for me since the upgrade to 14 Pro Max and iOS 16 (now 16.0.2). In terms of the log-in make sure you aren't logged into your Kindle account on too many devices. I think the limit is five devices but I'm not sure. If you're logged in on old devices you no longer own or have wiped, you can manage your devices on the Amazon Website and remove those devices from your account. Other than that I'm not sure...
Never thought to check Kindle assigned devices, one of which was my 12 Mini.
Let me re check.
1-13 of 13 items!
maybe 4 in use.
Instructions perfect, removed a few iphones, removed and re installed Kindle.
Empathy Economics, though still to complete Mr Carney Value(s)

Amazing thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: MadAngelUK

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
Books app: changing size of font...one tap more. Again an unnessecary tap.
They really change for the sake of changing.
The ways are getting longer everywhere.

Reactions: srbNYC

bynight85

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
If Apple gives the option to turn off the black strip, how clear is the screen, what do you guys think?
5790b1ee5a0f9d51c41e.jpg

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Maybe when’s its inactive it could go to that state, and then do the pill shape when its in use?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
can anyone help me?

not getting this second row showing my 'smart lite' unless I go into settings->control center and move Home row around and try again as a temporary fix.

eventually goes away and only shows HomePod and Apple TV without me doing anything. lite vanishes.

had issue on 16.0.x and now 16.1 rc.

Lite always appears in the Home app itself too, just not always in CC.

...dont recall this being an issue with iOS 15 or any previous that could support the lite.

Attachments

• IMG_0464 2.jpg
    IMG_0464 2.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 108

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
can anyone help me?

not getting this second row showing my 'smart lite' unless I go into settings->control center and move Home row around and try again as a temporary fix.

eventually goes away and only shows HomePod and Apple TV without me doing anything. lite vanishes.

...dont recall this being an issue with iOS 15 or any previous that could support the lite.
That sort of thing has been happening for me dating back to iOS 15.x

deadlock

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
can anyone help me?

I have that problem throughout 16 and have reported to Apple Support.

Seems that the Home Controls in Control Center drop off the bottom and can only be found by going into Settings and toggling it on/off. Happens at least once a day. Normally around 9pm.

Didn’t see it in earlier and generally HomeKit has been much more responsive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.