Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
It is because apparently there’s a bug in iOS 17.5 that causes that, once you’ve downloaded a third part App Store (thus, only affecting EU), and you delete it, you can no longer download it.

No biggie, by the time anybody can find those out of App Store to actually download, we will be well into iOS 18 cycle. 😋

However, all this DMA chat belongs to a different thread altogether. 🖐️

Reactions: Kal Madda

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I'm with you, on Friday it's very difficult for them to release anything, so for next week, what really makes us wait for the new version 17.6 is to see if it was advances of IOS 18, otherwise it will be more polishing and improved stability of IOS 17.5, Happy Weekend friends!!! :cool::cool::cool:

17.6 - if there is one - will be nothing more than bug fixes and polishing. Don’t expect any iOS 18 “sneak previews.

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022
I'm never crazy about the .1 updates but you have to think 17.5.1 is coming soon. 17.5 has been absolute trainwreck so far

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm never crazy about the .1 updates but you have to think 17.5.1 is coming soon. 17.5 has been absolute trainwreck so far
I have (2) iPhone 14 pro's and nothing wrong. Have you bothered to back up your iPhone to a Mac and then do a DFU restore? There are lots of settings you could have messed up, playing around on a iPhone. Also because I have installed hundreds of iOS betas you would think I have more problems than you? :p:eek:

gtmead09

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2016
I have (2) iPhone 14 pro's and nothing wrong. Have you bothered to back up your iPhone to a Mac and then do a DFU restore? There are lots of settings you could have messed up, playing around on a iPhone. Also because I have installed hundreds of iOS betas you would think I have more problems than you? :p:eek:

Ditto, by a X.5 updates, it is very unusual for a update to be a "trainwreck". Now iOS 18 beta 1, well that one is TBD and could be a different story lol.

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022
Now, if you want to speculate about a 17.5.1, I'd say any day, including tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday might be fair game if this is accurate:

it sounds to me like not everyone is experiencing this. They no doubt need a 17.5.1 but I don't get the sense Apple is any hurry

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022
Sounding like the resurfacing bug was partially fake news the guy made up the story. However there is still a bug there and if apple fixes it server side we won't need a 17.5.1 anytime soon

iakmnk

Cancelled
May 12, 2024
Sounding like the resurfacing bug was partially fake news the guy made up the story. However there is still a bug there and if apple fixes it server side we won't need a 17.5.1 anytime soon
I don't agree with that.

Firstly, EU residents cannot install a third-party store if they previously deleted it due to an error in the controld parameter.

Secondly, iMessage has corrupted the sound of voice messages.

Thirdly, sometimes my alarm clock still may not ring.

At least two bugs that I have listed are quite critical. And in the end, we still don't know why some people had old photos restored, because of an error in iCloud or iOS 17.5 (we're not talking about that potential fake about restoring photos on an old device right now)

But if we compare with previous iOS 17 updates, then I agree that 17.5 is the most stable release with great autonomy and smoothness

Last edited:
Reactions: iLuddite and gank41

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I don't agree with that.

Firstly, EU residents cannot install a third-party store if they previously deleted it due to an error in the controld parameter.

Secondly, iMessage has corrupted the sound of voice messages.

Thirdly, sometimes my alarm clock still may not ring.

At least two bugs that I have listed are quite critical. And in the end, we still don't know why some people had old photos restored, because of an error in iCloud or iOS 17.5 (we're not talking about that potential fake about restoring photos on an old device right now)

But if we compare with previous iOS 17 updates, then I agree that 17.5 is the most stable release with great autonomy and smoothness
Those last two bugs don’t seem like they’re that common. I hope they get fixed, but they could be due to a combo of settings or something else as well. It may be worthwhile to try a system restore from a backup. I don’t think Apple should release an update just for fixing the EUs sideloading system. It doesn’t really belong in iOS anyways, so why go out of the way to make sure it never has any bugs? Sure, maybe fix it next update when they’re fixing things the rest of the world actually cares about, but I don’t see the need to release an update just to fix the EU sideloading system which is already problematic, and not many people are likely to be using anyways. That’s at least my opinion.

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

iakmnk

Cancelled
May 12, 2024
I don’t think Apple should release an update just for fixing the EUs sideloading system
It seems to me that if Apple does not fix the problem for the EU, it threatens it with a violation of DMA, since the function actually does not work correctly. With regard to my problems, I have already tried a complete reinstallation via IPSW twice and still encounter minor errors, I just send reports to Apple and do not treat the community like that dude from reddit who has now wiped all posts and comments about the resurrection of photos on a sold iPad

In any case, we don't know all of Apple's plans, as they may release 17.5.1 with fixes, or a new build 17.5 that will be available only through iTunes, as it already was with 17.4.1, or maybe we won't see anything at all on the stable releases branch in the coming weeks, since 17.6 is just around the corner. So for now, we'll just wait and not make any plans.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
In any case, we don't know all of Apple's plans, as they may release 17.5.1 with fixes, or a new build 17.5 that will be available only through iTunes
As we’re on the iOS 17 speculation thread, I’m gonna say we’ll be getting 17.5.1 next week with, hopefully, fixes for the alternate stores bug, and the mysterious deleted picture resurfacing bug.

And soon, this next week or maybe last week of may, we might see the first iOS 17.6 beta.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022
As we’re on the iOS 17 speculation thread, I’m gonna say we’ll be getting 17.5.1 next week with, hopefully, fixes for the alternate stores bug, and the mysterious deleted picture resurfacing bug.

And soon, this next week or maybe last week of may, we might see the first iOS 17.6 beta.
The resurfacing bug was slightly made up by that kid that posted it. I think it may resurface on your device but not a previous sold device

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I wonder if today or tomorrow Apple starts the 17.6 beta cycle? Figured they need a good 2 weeks to collect feedback from 17.5 RC?

Gives people a choice in three weeks what to use until a few betas after iOS 18 at WWDC is announced to furnish the first 18.0 public beta late June/early July?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.