Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Battery life doesn't seem to have changed for me on Public Beta 3 with iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Kinda off topic but I noticed if I charge in my car when using car play the charging highlight in battery settings graph is orange. It used to be green. Not sure why that's needed but interesting change.

edit: maybe CarPlay is putting my phone into low power mode?

ATmahe

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2023
I think orange means „slow charging“ or „not fast-charging“. 🤔

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
Yep. Orange means slow charge because the device is in use while charging. Perfectly normal for a car.

Jkeith85

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2015
18.1 has been the worst battery hog by far. Can watch it drop by the minute. I tried to use a reset then restore a back up.

Any point to do a fresh clean install not based off backup?

Reactions: GoldenChild

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
I am on beta 5 - I stopped charging the whole night - instead I pull of my 15 PM right when it hits 85% limit and can use my phone full 24 hrs with somewhat medium usage 4hrs SOT - idle drain is there (as expected for a beta) but right now I can live with that, of course my hopes are high to get those 7-8hrs SOT and minimum full 24 hrs use, when the beta is official finished in September.

In conclusion I just say the battery life is on a good way and will be improved soon I guess.

My wish is to use my 15PM for 1-2 days without charging, hope that’s realistic!

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
12 hours off the charger since updating to public beta 3 yesterday from 17.6. I was expecting worse. 15 Pro Max.

Attachments

• IMG_5290.jpeg
    IMG_5290.jpeg
    654.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5291.jpeg
    IMG_5291.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 86

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Can’t put my finger on it, but I have the feeling that the battery life is a bit worse now on beta 6?!
My 15 PM disconnected from wired charger at around 11am with limit to 95%, now it’s 7:35pm and I have 44% battery left.
Used my phone for about 5hrs actual SOT.

This seems a bit to less compared to the other betas

What’s your experience?
IMG_0650.png

Reactions: TheBMacAttack

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
Anybody testing battery life in 18.0 versus 18.1? I am testing both builds, but on different hardware, so hard to compare.

I assume the Apple Intelligence stuff hits the NPU and cloud more, so there will be more drain. Just wondering if it is noticeable.

If the iPhone 17 models ship with 18.0 in September and all the tech bloggers and review sites evaluate the battery on the RTM build, I would hope they would update their testing and revise their reviews if they see a battery decline, but not every site is that diligent. And I guess most sites that test battery don't test AI anyway, so the whole topic might be moot.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Yep! Must’ve been on the low side with no ‘extra’ above the rated capacity 🙈 mainly using 80% charge limit too! (Which I think I’ll stop) 🤣 15 Pro Max.
I didn’t ever bother with any limit, still 100% since Nov ‘23. CoconutBattery still reports 101,6% after 207 cycles, so I’m happy!

Reactions: James6s

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Oh man, that makes me frightened about my own battery !
My 15 PM set charge limit to 95% with 34 cycles…

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
I didn’t ever bother with any limit, still 100% since Nov ‘23. CoconutBattery still reports 101,6% after 207 cycles, so I’m happy!

You got lucky with the battery lottery! Lol.

Oh man, that makes me frightened about my own battery !
My 15 PM set charge limit to 95% with 34 cycles…

I wouldn’t worry too much, some have 100% BH after 100’s of cycles. It’s a lottery!

Reactions: mikiotty

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
And so it starts after 49 cycles. On public beta 4 ☠️ 😂
I know it won’t help with this usual topic but I wouldn’t give too much about single %-ages here. It’s always a bit of luck how the battery degrades over time and the measurement of the system itself isn’t any kind of scientific method.
A beta itself won’t hurt or „destroy“ a battery but of course it can cause some additional demand on the battery, with bugs, more heat or in general due to higher battery consumption with a less optimized system.
Overall the battery capacity will be measured more often the more often you update your OS, so that’s an additional factor that your capacity is degrading.
It can be the case also that your value now stays at 99% for a pretty long time, we don’t know yet.
I personally stopped checking this value after a pretty fast degrading on my Xs.
On the 13 Pro the first time I checked this value was when I was about putting it for sale on eBay.
Haven’t checked it once’s far on my current 15 Pro.

Wouldn’t get too crazy about all this battery stuff. Use the phone, have fun with it, threat it in a responsible way and you’re fine.

Last edited:

TheBMacAttack

Suspended
Jul 17, 2024
DB 6 here, and I will say I have see a bit worse battery life in this beta. Overall throughout the beta process my battery has taken a slight hit from iOS 17, but not a huge change. Beta 6 is more noticeable than the other betas. Still not terrible, but I was tending to end the day with med-slighting heavy usage at about 65-70% left. Beta 6 is more like 50-45% left.

For reference, I have a launch 14PM with 87% battery health.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
I know it won’t help with this usual topic but I wouldn’t give to much about single %-ages here. It’s always a bit of luck how the battery degrades over time and the measurement of the system itself isn’t any kind of scientific method.
A beta itself won’t hurt or „destroy“ a battery but of course it can cause some additional demand on the battery, with bugs, more heat or in general due to higher battery consumption with a less optimized system.
Overall the battery capacity will be measured more often if you more often update your OS, so that’s an additional factor that your capacity is degrading.
It can be the case also that your value now stays at 99% for a pretty long time, we don’t know yet.
I personally stopped checking this value after a pretty fast degrading on my Xs.
On the 13 Pro the first time I checked this value was when I was about putting it for sale on eBay.
Haven’t checked it once’s far on my current 15 Pro.

Wouldn’t get too crazy about all this battery stuff. Use the phone, have fun with it, threat it in a responsible way and you’re fine.

The luck of the battery draw lol I had a 15 Pro before the Pro Max and that still had 100% BH after 90+ cycles. And that battery was pants imo hence getting the Pro Max with the bigger battery.

I’m not stressing over it (too much) 😂 be interesting to see if it stays at 99% for a while or starts free falling off a cliff.

Using the 80% limit hasn’t really helped in my case, beta software with more battery drain & heat when not fully optimised hasn’t helped but that’s a risk you take.

Also I use a 30w wired charger and that generates more heat which isn’t good for the battery.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Battery life is slightly worse for me here on PB3 but not all that terrible compared to PB2 or iOS 17 either.

Last edited:

mikiotty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
The luck of the battery draw lol I had a 15 Pro before the Pro Max and that still had 100% BH after 90+ cycles. And that battery was pants imo hence getting the Pro Max with the bigger battery.

I’m not stressing over it (too much) 😂 be interesting to see if it stays at 99% for a while or starts free falling off a cliff.

Using the 80% limit hasn’t really helped in my case, beta software with more battery drain & heat when not fully optimised hasn’t helped but that’s a risk you take.

Also I use a 30w wired charger and that generates more heat which isn’t good for the battery.
Never used any charging limit and I mostly charge with the old 12W iPad charger, just recently I started charging with the 20W original and a few days ago I purchased a MagSafe charger just to try it, but I don’t like the additional heat it generates so I’m probably going to return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.