Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
I think my battery faired better yesterday than it has done all week since installing public beta 5. I had this message pop up for a 2nd time this week.
IMG_7324.jpeg

My battery life yesterday. Still not great for a 15PM. It didn’t need a top charge through the day yesterday.
IMG_7456.png
IMG_7457.png

• Wow
Reactions: Tomas1988

Tomas1988

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2022
Lithuania
Reactions: James6s

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
we are pretty much at the end of betas
But this is the beta that never ends. It goes on and on, my friends. Some people started testing, not knowing how it goes. And they'll continue testing forever just because... this is the beta that never ends...

Last edited:
Reactions: Margit

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I wonder how much battery background activities such as updating Airpods, watches and so on consume and if its listed in the battery stats?
When moving from a major OS version that's usually one many things that do happen.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I think my battery faired better yesterday than it has done all week since installing public beta 5. I had this message pop up for a 2nd time this week.
View attachment 2409744

My battery life yesterday. Still not great for a 15PM. It didn’t need a top charge through the day yesterday.
I like this message where they do state that background activities is happening and it might impact battery life, could prob be even more clear about that it might affect battery life.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
One of my test devices is a base iPhone 15 on 18.0b8 that I hardly use (only 40 cycles!). This morning went from 100% to 82% in two hours. I did backup 100 photos over Wi-Fi to iCloud, but the phone was idle for the rest of the morning. Might be a one off, but that is worse than the previous betas faired.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Lol it’s just popped up now! 🤣

Should it not show on all devices?

iPhone 13PM 😀 with many many dead cycles 👌

13 PM still a good device 😁

Since this message popped up again it’s been heating up 🙈🤣

This is occurring with the photo gallery app, when viewing and editing. Feedback sent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomas1988

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I like this message where they do state that background activities is happening and it might impact battery life, could prob be even more clear about that it might affect battery life.
Yeah, it will definitely offer peace of mind to many of us. I hope this isn’t an iPhone 15 (and onwards) exclusive feature.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Battery life has been better on public beta 6, but my 15PM battery health continues to fall…

Attachments

• IMG_8285.jpeg
    IMG_8285.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 44

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Battery life has been better on public beta 6, but my 15PM battery health continues to fall…
The battery health indicator is smoke and mirrors. Every full charge cycle your battery dies / degrades a bit, that‘s how these batteries are made to function (they are degrading, organic material).

Your battery health was not at 100% for months on end, it started degrading right away. What you‘re seeing now is that the Beta builds / updates calibrate your battery health indicator more aggressively, so it can go down or up at times (there is no 100% way of detecting battery capacity, it‘s purely an estimate).

Apple should just get rid of the percentage altogether and replace it with a plain text indicator ("All good") because it‘s perfectly normal to have 90% after a year of use (and 80% after 2).

If you want your battery to last long, don‘t use your phone (or never charge it past 80%, make sure to never use it in sunlight so it doesn‘t heat up since heat is the deathbringer of all batteries).

That being said: battery life is pretty good on B8 compared to B7 (that was a dumpster fire).

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
The battery health indicator is smoke and mirrors. Every full charge cycle your battery dies / degrades a bit, that‘s how these batteries are made to function (they are degrading, organic material).

Your battery health was not at 100% for months on end, it started degrading right away. What you‘re seeing now is that the Beta builds / updates calibrate your battery health indicator more aggressively, so it can go down or up at times (there is no 100% way of detecting battery capacity, it‘s purely an estimate).

Apple should just get rid of the percentage altogether and replace it with a plain text indicator ("All good") because it‘s perfectly normal to have 90% after a year of use (and 80% after 2).

If you want your battery to last long, don‘t use your phone (or never charge it past 80%, make sure to never use it in sunlight so it doesn‘t heat up since heat is the deathbringer of all batteries).

That being said: battery life is pretty good on B8 compared to B7 (that was a dumpster fire).

It wasn’t on 100% for months on end, just two months lol. I know batteries degrade from the first use and it’s not linear. All these constant iOS 18 beta updates are calibrating the BH like you say, and quite aggressively.

Interestingly I had been using the 80% limit for the first few months with only the occasional charge to 100%. Since the battery dropped anyway I’m not babying it or too fussed about how I charge it now, 90-95% limit active.

Reactions: mikiotty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.