Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
As of last night, I’m now seeing certain words trigger text effect suggestions…
1719071060104.png

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
As of last night, I’m now seeing certain words trigger text effect suggestions…
View attachment 2391045

Ugh :confused:

So effect suggestions instead of alternative or recommended words.
I tried on my 15PM and this behavior changes if not going to an iMessage recipient. non-iMessage I get word suggestions while iMessage I get mostly effects. Looking to see if I could find a way to turn this off but haven’t found one yet. For me, word recommendations are far more useful.

Reactions: addamas

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Another few issues, maybe you also have them?
(Sooner reported sooner fixed… because the closer to final release the less white collars cares about fixing issues and they stay looong time - it was in every project I was a tester :p)

1) video 1
Notes app “crashes” to Home if user select a string (word, few words) and paste a website link copied from Safari. Most of times it creates a clickable link (hyperlink) to this website with selected text staying as its name but sometimes it just leaves app and moves to Home.
Reported as: FB14011386

2) video 2
ControlCenter allows to add ‘Now Playing’ widget of size 2x2, 4x2, 4x4 and full page. In every of them (except 4x4) clicking on playing name, picture, album either moves to source app directly or pop up a full screen control of music, where clicking such item moves to source app.

Maybe that’s a feature, maybe not… 🙃
Reported as: FB14011386

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
HomePod 17.6 beta 1 or with HomePodos 17.5 with iOS 18 beta 1 bug.

From iOS 18 beta 1 device can’t see timers nor alarms on HomePods with 17.6 beta 1 installed.

With a device running iOS 17.6 beta 1 I can see the alarms / timers on the HomePod running 17.6 beta 1.

This also happens on a HomePod running 17.5 released version. So definitely a bug in iOS 18 beta 1.

IMG_5552.png

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I’ve been on this beta since Day 1 but, interestingly, today my phone has become a bit laggy (a restart didn’t help) and I just noticed that my System Data jumped from 7GB to 50GB…

Also, in the last 24 hours the Messages app seems kinda janky when it comes to indexing and displaying links, photos, locations, etc.

The phone has started to run hot, too…this used to happen CONSTANTLY on iOS 17, but this is the first time it’s been hot since installing iOS 18.

EDIT: man, since Day 1 my battery life has been as good as, if not better than, iOS 17… but now, suddenly, I’ve plummeted from 100% to 24% in less than 3 hours.

Last edited:

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I’ve been on this beta since Day 1 but, interestingly, today my phone has become a bit laggy (a restart didn’t help) and I just noticed that my System Data jumped from 7GB to 50GB…

Also, in the last 24 hours the Messages app seems kinda janky when it comes to indexing and displaying links, photos, locations, etc.

The phone has started to run hot, too…this used to happen CONSTANTLY on iOS 17, but this is the first time it’s been hot since installing iOS 18.

EDIT: man, since Day 1 my battery life has been as good as, if not better than, iOS 17… but now, suddenly, I’ve plummeted from 100% to 24% in less than 3 hours.
My iPhone 13 was working really smooth since day one of the beta and then after about 10 days my battery life suddenly started to fail also. Phone got pretty warm and I need to charge more often. This seems to be a common thread among several folks here. New beta Monday!

Reactions: addamas and s2mike

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
I received messages from my friends that when I send them video over imessage from my iPhone 15 pro they receive it in low quality. Anyone else have that issue?

Reactions: dk001

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Can anyone advise where the raw camera settings are on 15 pro max ?

Got them, in formats

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Been seeing some issues with Safari on the iPad Pro 11 and 15 ProMax over the last few days.
Looking at Analytics on the 15PM, I found pages and pages of “ExcUserFault_com.apple.WebKit.Web...” per day over the last few days. One posted below. 54 from yesterday alone. 53 from the day before.

Now Safari I have nothing special installed on this beta. It is pretty much stock with ADP and Access iCloud Data ont he Web turned off.

Attachments

• IMG_5872.png
    IMG_5872.png
    851.7 KB · Views: 53

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I installed iOS 18 and whilst all good so far (15 PM) I can’t restore to my backup as my old windows PC hasn’t enough space to download the IPSW file. (In case I wanted to).

My backup is only an external drive due to the same issue.

I’ve tried moving location of my downloads folder from C to my external drive and has been successful (apparently) but still I get the disk full message. To me it’s still trying to download to the c drive. Looks like I’m on the train til the end.

Artesia

Suspended
Mar 30, 2024
Have you guys noticed how quiet the sound is when you force touch an app icon? I swear it used to be louder, or am I losing my mind?

Ok this is getting really weird, just for the test I connected my airpods max to my phone and then went to accessibility settings and raised Tone volume to 100%, and then soft restared my phone and now force touch sound is back to normal.

So looks like theres a trick to raise or lower force touch sound, but you need to connect your headphones and go through that accesscibility tone volume setting and then soft restart your phone.

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Widget Calendar - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/widget-calendar/id922436277

Back in iOS 17 and older, there was a Customize option when you try to edit the widgets on the leftmost screen and I add the Widget Calendar option from the list but now in iOS 18 DB 1, when you try to edit the widgets, the Customize button that shows up is to just customize the icons which is different from what iOS 17 and older used to have...

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Widget Calendar - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/widget-calendar/id922436277

Back in iOS 17 and older, there was a Customize option when you try to edit the widgets on the leftmost screen and I add the Widget Calendar option from the list but now in iOS 18 DB 1, when you try to edit the widgets, the Customize button that shows up is to just customize the icons which is different from what iOS 17 and older used to have...
Would you like to customize this certain widget (change appearance) or toggle some of it’s settings?

If you press and hold (the same way as app icons) there will be pop up with edit option to toggle some settings.

But at least for now it’s not possible to switch certain stock widget into different look unless changing every single via mentioned by you Customize option.
If 3rd party apps developer allows, widget appearance can be set - works i.e. for AccuWeather widget

AM2354

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2020
I know I have been repeatedly told that this is Beta 1 of IOS 18, and to expect the unexpected to happen, but honestly, I have been downloading Beta’s for years, but never have I seen so many glitches as this Beta 1 has produced, which brings me to asking this question, so is it fair to say the developer’s develop these customizations and throw them out to the Beta testers as quality control people? For if that is the case my recommendation is to scrub the current IOS 18 and start all over.
Would you like to customize this certain widget (change appearance) or toggle some of its settings?
If you press and hold (the same way as app icons) there will be pop up with edit option to toggle some settings.

But at least for now it’s not possible to switch certain stock widget into different look unless changing every single via mentioned by you Customize option.
If 3rd party apps developer allows, widget appearance can be set - works i.e. for AccuWeather widget

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Still could be worse - nobody mentioned constant restarts or bricked device ;)

It’s still kinda sweet that this software in state of a newborn which pukes, pisses and fall downs will one day be adult.

Currency conversions in Calculator app are also broken for you?
It’s 1:1 at least for me either in Language/Region: Polish/Poland or English/Poland. Probably some API is not connecting.
Reported as FB14033961

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Would you like to customize this certain widget (change appearance) or toggle some of it’s settings?

https://web.archive.org/web/20220815080546/https://apps.apple.com/us/app/widget-calendar/id922436277

The 3rd and 4th picture for the iPad is almost how it looks on the iPhone... The one available on iOS 18 DB 1 looks worse... There's not much I can do about it since I can no longer seem to find it on the App Store...

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I don`t want to install iOS18 yet on my main phone so I am asking if someone can make some screenshots and/or explain what was changed with dual sim. I only saw a comment that something changed in the Phone App and I am curious now :cool:

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
https://web.archive.org/web/20220815080546/https://apps.apple.com/us/app/widget-calendar/id922436277

The 3rd and 4th picture for the iPad is almost how it looks on the iPhone... The one available on iOS 18 DB 1 looks worse... There's not much I can do about it since I can no longer seem to find it on the App Store...
That picture is displaying the old version of iOS widgets which aren't supported in this iOS 18 beta.

I do have that app on my phone and I just checked and it lets you customize the background of the new calendar widget with photos or colors if you edit it.

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpeg
    IMG_3982.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I know I have been repeatedly told that this is Beta 1 of IOS 18, and to expect the unexpected to happen, but honestly, I have been downloading Beta’s for years, but never have I seen so many glitches as this Beta 1 has produced, which brings me to asking this question, so is it fair to say the developer’s develop these customizations and throw them out to the Beta testers as quality control people? For if that is the case my recommendation is to scrub the current IOS 18 and start all over.
Would you like to customize this certain widget (change appearance) or toggle some of its settings?
Contrary to your experience, I have experienced a few hangups (hung apps, that sort of thing). As for the Today screen (the leftmost screen I believe you are referring to), I suspect that’s on the way out, so I don’t expect Apple to do much (if anything) to improve the experience there. I‘m not sure what developers you are referring to in your post. The only developers who have anything in iOS 18 right now are Apple’s own developers. Nothing that occurs to a third party app as a result of iOS 18 should be attributed to those third party developers as they are not able to update their apps yet.

Apple is obviously not going to scrub iOS 18 because of the poor experiences of one or a few users.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I'm sure if Apple had the analytics, they'd see more people use the Today screen than the App Library one.

I'd love to see the stats, actually, as maybe it's just me who loves the Today screen.

I rolled back to iOS 17 after a day, due to an issue I had, but will give beta 2 a try unless I read about any show-stoppers. I'm prepared to lose my "legacy" (pre-iOS 14) widgets on my Today screen. I shall mourn their loss with a small farewell party.

Reactions: dk001 and gank41

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I'm sure if Apple had the analytics, they'd see more people use the Today screen than the App Library one.

I'd love to see the stats, actually, as maybe it's just me who loves the Today screen.

I rolled back to iOS 17 after a day, due to an issue I had, but will give beta 2 a try unless I read about any show-stoppers. I'm prepared to lose my "legacy" (pre-iOS 14) widgets on my Today screen. I shall mourn their loss with a small farewell party.
Lol, I’m sure Apple does have the analytics…

Send pictures from the party!

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Most changes specific to iOS 18 won’t be included in any of the updates that you are seeing right now because they are unable to actually publish any of those updates, yet. They can only use TestFlight or a friend or something, maybe just themselves. It can be very difficult to test a lot of these changes because they’re limited to maybe only using a simulator. Apple doesn’t allow submitting updates for iOS 18 yet, but registered developers would get an email letting them know when they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.