Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iLuddite

Suspended
Oct 9, 2023
Are they teaching a behavior that is counterproductive? What good is a 100% capacity if we're not charging it past 80% anyway? Why not charge to 100% daily, reducing the risk of the battery dying by the end of the day, and after 2 years your capacity is down to 85%? Still more than limiting charging to 80%.
In my experience thus far a top-shape battery is much less likely to die by the end of the day, even when limited to 80% charge. If I occasionally want or think I might need to charge to 100% I can while still preserving overall battery life for normal days (on which I usually only use 10-25% of the 80% charge).

People have different needs and different priorities. But sorry my exercising basic freedom of choice bends you out of shape so severely. :(

• Love
Reactions: JFLECHUGA

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Yea, I’m kind of wishful thinking about it being brought to older devices if they refine it, but on the other hand Apple will want to get Apple Intelligence out there more. I’m on the fence.
Apparently not happening. IP15 Pro and up. New MR article with Apple execs say so.

I don’t want to have to buy another new phone in September again, but my 15pm is already down to 90% battery health so I may need to.

Bruh.. My iPhone 15 (acquired one month after launch) is still at 100% capacity although I always use the 80% charge limit.
Launch day XR (2018) with original battery, charged to 100% every night all night (do have optimize on) and drain most all the way down daily. And still at 84% health. Soooooooooooo all this battery worry is unwarranted IMO.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Crap!!
15 Pro Max - Badges

Well, it was nice while it lasted but badges have started messing up again.
Outlook
Teams
Mail
Telegram

On all of these the badge count is incorrect and updates when you open the app.
This issue has just resurfaced over the last two days.

FB13984539

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
In my experience thus far a top-shape battery is much less likely to die by the end of the day, even when limited to 80% charge. If I occasionally want or think I might need to charge to 100% I can while still preserving overall battery life for normal days (on which I usually only use 10-25% of the 80% charge).

People have different needs and different priorities. But sorry my exercising basic freedom of choice bends you out of shape so severely. :(
Whoa, no one is bent out of shape. I have mine set to 80% battery optimization too. I was merely questioning why we're intentionally limiting charging to 80%, to keep our battery capacity from dropping down to 85%? It seems counterproductive. You do you, I don't care.

Reactions: LockOn2B

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
If you ever wished to have a dock on Widgets page (the one swipe right from Home Page, so left of it) you can have it due to bug 😂

Steps to repro:
1) Swipe down on desktop to open Spotlight
2) Type some text but not open anything via it
3) Swipe to close Spotlight
4) Swipe to Widgets tab :p

Reported as: FB13986886

Attachments

• IMG_4382.png
    IMG_4382.png
    468.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4381.png
    IMG_4381.png
    900.2 KB · Views: 51

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Ouch... not only System Locations Services settings were all reversed to base one (all turned on) but also Screen Time password was erased with update 17.5.1 -> 18.0 beta o_0 (had set it up to not use iCloud / phone number as recovery for forgetting such password before) - reported as FB13988191

Sorry for double post - but it's more readable if bug report and this info are separated

Last edited:

Aliknos

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
The cache storage bug hit my iPhone 12 running the beta! Well it’s not only that. I removed it from the charger today, it crashed (spinning wheel) and after that WiFi won’t connect to anything unless I turn it completely off and back on, connection with Apple Watch doesn't function whatever I do (with a severe hit on AW battery life happening simultaneously for some reason), Face ID would not work (fixed with a restart) and some other smaller mishaps here and there. I just thought that my phone had a severe stroke when I suddenly got a “storage full” notification and saw the cache storage piling up. I will probably be able to live with a severed device until the next beta, but how will I be able to download it given that space is filled up constantly? Will downloading beta 2 from the Mac help? How do we go about this? Thanks y’all!

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
The cache storage bug hit my iPhone 12 running the beta! Well it’s not only that. I removed it from the charger today, it crashed (spinning wheel) and after that WiFi won’t connect to anything unless I turn it completely off and back on, connection with Apple Watch doesn't function whatever I do (with a severe hit on AW battery life happening simultaneously for some reason), Face ID would not work (fixed with a restart) and some other smaller mishaps here and there. I just thought that my phone had a severe stroke when I suddenly got a “storage full” notification and saw the cache storage piling up. I will probably be able to live with a severed device until the next beta, but how will I be able to download it given that space is filled up constantly? Will downloading beta 2 from the Mac help? How do we go about this? Thanks y’all!
You need to have a certain amount of free space to install updates even with a computer. If there isn't enough you may need to reset/restore.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Nice! You can add to your Medical ID new things:
> Pregnancy + optional Day of Delivery (somehow as a man I can set it up :p)
> Names of medicines
> Allergies (not sure if it was there, had NKDA in disorders)

Absolutely hats off Apple for such little but important things

Screenshots:
1st in Health app Medical ID setting
2nd on Lock Screen > Emergency

Attachments

• IMG_4388.png
    IMG_4388.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4390.png
    IMG_4390.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.