Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
15 ProMax

Not sure if anything has been changed for beta 1 regarding Photos > Lookups.

I have two dogs, both Shiba Inu’s, one black/brown, one red/cream. Both are pure breeds.
When it comes to Siri knowledge, they are consistently mis-identified.

Affenpincher, German Shepherd, Australian Kelpie, Belgian Shepherd, Welsh Corgi, doesn’t see a dog at all, etc. If it selects Shiba Inu, it is usually seldom.

On top of this, the People and Pets section does not work at all. Neither does the ProCam folder. Somehow I also have two Raw folders, both blank.

FB13946485

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Wonder what level of RAM will be needed by iPhones to properly run an on device LLM…
I would say 8GB, given that that is where they have cut off so far. Of course, as @Ansath has suggested elsewhere in these forums, it's possible that as the models are refined, it may be possible to run them on lower RAM-specced models. But I am not going to bet the farm on that. That's a lot of R&D to hit a target that won't really even matter in a few years as the median purchase date of phones moves past Sept 2023 (when the 15 Pro/Pro Max were introduced).

jpdunn13

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2022
I had a weird experience this weekend. I was going out to mow the lawn. I had my Bose Ultra Quiet airbuds in. The left one connected to the iPad in the house, and the right one connected to the iPhone in my pocket. I had ocean waves in the left ear and Enigma in the right. Haven't been able to do this again. Not that I really want to.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I would say 8GB, given that that is where they have cut off so far. Of course, as @Ansath has suggested elsewhere in these forums, it's possible that as the models are refined, it may be possible to run them on lower RAM-specced models. But I am not going to bet the farm on that. That's a lot of R&D to hit a target that won't really even matter in a few years as the median purchase date of phones moves past Sept 2023 (when the 15 Pro/Pro Max were introduced).
Yea, I’m kind of wishful thinking about it being brought to older devices if they refine it, but on the other hand Apple will want to get Apple Intelligence out there more. I’m on the fence.

Reactions: dk001 and gwhizkids

BigPil

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2024
14PM

Air Drop:
Seems to be working fine except when I try to Air Drop a folder from files from iPad to iPhone. Files opens on iPhone when Air Drop is initiated from iPad but there is no save option on iPhone. Cannot Air Drop a folder from iPad to iPhone.

In reverse; when initiated from iPhone to iPad, files opens on iPad and the save option exists. Can complete transfer.
iPad is still on 17.5.1.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
Question about iPhone backups to my mac. Haven't done one for ages, but did backup my 17.5.1 before installing 18, just in case. I'd like to backup this working version of 18, in case it starts doing funky stuff as a few have reported. Will it overwrite my 17.5.1 backup, or create a duplicate 18 backup?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Question about iPhone backups to my mac. Haven't done one for ages, but did backup my 17.5.1 before installing 18, just in case. I'd like to backup this working version of 18, in case it starts doing funky stuff as a few have reported. Will it overwrite my 17.5.1 backup, or create a duplicate 18 backup?
It'll overwrite it unless ...

Click on "Manage Backups", right click on your 17.5 backup and select "archive". That'll protect it.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
14PM

Air Drop:
Seems to be working fine except when I try to Air Drop a folder from files from iPad to iPhone. Files opens on iPhone when Air Drop is initiated from iPad but there is no save option on iPhone. Cannot Air Drop a folder from iPad to iPhone.

In reverse; when initiated from iPhone to iPad, files opens on iPad and the save option exists. Can complete transfer.
iPad is still on 17.5.1.

Running both on 18.
I can AD a folder via Files from the iPad to the iPhone however it auto saves the folder and contents in Downloads. When it first appears on screen (iPhone) it is the folder opened - contents displayed.

Reactions: BigPil

BigPil

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2024
Running both on 18.
I can AD a folder via Files from the iPad to the iPhone however it auto saves the folder and contents in Downloads. When it first appears on screen (iPhone) it is the folder opened - contents displayed.
Interesting. I cannot get further than this screen when trying to AD a folder and it doesn’t go to downloads.
IMG_0686.png
Also noticed that I cannot move folders or files from one location to another in files app on 14 PM. When I try, I get the same screen as with trying to AD a folder. But choosing “on my iphone” or “icloud drive” does not dropdown or take me to the location to choose a destination folder. It’s just stuck until I press cancel.

Ironically, if I flip to landscape orientation, the save and move options are there and all works as it should. No joy in portrait orientation. 🤔

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dk001

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Anyone found a way to install new eMail encryption certificates in iOS18?
The normal Settings -> Mail -> Account -> Advanced is not longer available here...
Anybody found it?
Aren't the certificates loaded as profiles? In other words, that setting you used is to enable/disable signing once the cert is loaded, but the cert itself isn't installed there.

I've not done it, but it's something like this:

Whether that works in iOS 18 or not, I don't know, as (a) I don't use S/MIME certificates and (b) I rolled back to 17.5.1.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
exactly ... and that "Advanced" disappeared with iOS18 for me
So the entire "advanced" button in your mail settings has gone? Ouch. There are other useful settings in there, such as where to store sent/deleted/draft emails, and how long to keep deleted mails for.

Edit: When I was (briefly) on iOS 18, I had reason to check my mail settings, and "advanced" for my IMAP account was there.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: gank41

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
So the entire "advanced" button in your mail settings has gone? Ouch. There are other useful settings in there, such as where to store sent/deleted/draft emails, and how long to keep deleted mails for.

Edit: When I was (briefly) on iOS 18, I had reason to check my mail settings, and "advanced" for my IMAP account was there.
for IMAP accounts the "Advanced" button is visible directly, yes 👍

Digged a bit deeper - for iCloud accounts you need to go

1. Settings ->
2. Apps ->
3. Mail ->
4. Mail Accounts ->
5. select the "iCloud Account" ->
6. iCloud ->
7. Click the new Mail Tile ->
8. Signing and Encryption ->
9. finally bind the certificates you need to

not very intuitive ... 🙄

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

@LutzRFrank

I took a look and my Advanced is not showing. :oops:
Turned off the account in Mail. Rebooted. Turned account back on. Now it is showing.

It may have had to do with authorization as I got a notice on my other phone to deny / allow access.

All good.

kungLao

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2018
Has anyone else noticed the volum e buttons stop working on iPad? M4 iPad Pro that is.
Yep, same thing has happened to me, the volume buttons stop working on my M4 11. I have to change the volume through the control center slider.

• Sad
Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.