Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Does anybody else have this problem? App icons are disappearing after the update on 11 pro. Sometimes when you open an app it will display the app icon but then at some the icon will again disappear.
ff53ac01cafd6fb158fd5278fb805140.png

217bbbe2aae72a19a7034c4b5ccce19a.png
noticed some of my icons like that this morning. a restart fixed it.

Reactions: nheilweil

KingOC

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2024
rcs works after cycling in and out of airplane mode. i am on verizon in california

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
For this RCS stuff, does the person on the other end have to do anything or is it just any android user? I have only one regular android correspondent and it’s still showing up as “SMS-text” for them. On AT&T and have it activated in settings
They need to actually have RCS enabled (some Android users do not) and you may need to cycle airplane mode.

RCS is encrypted so there needs to be some sort of handshake with the android user, right?

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I’m going with beta 5 and removed from public beta and only available to devs… that should be around first of August… they are going to want to test server loads etc… that gives them a few weeks of testing. Then releasing it to public beta around 2 weeks before iPhone keynote… (so a total of 3 weeks of testing with a huge audience).
This lines up with my thinking as well. In the much maligned Verge article (where the statement was made that beta 2 would be released yesterday), it was also attributed to Sainz that Apple Intelligence would be available in beta “this summer”. Presumably (unless they plan to release an 18.1 beta just before the summer solstice, which is possible actually depending on the timing of the iphone launch), that means it needs to show up meaningfully in beta form before 18.0 is released to the public. Can’t do that much later than the timing you lay out.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I mean, I delete apps like Contacts and it’s not like iOS forgets any of my contacts…

I’m just asking a question.
So I'm curious why exactly would you do this anyway? How do you add, delete or access them afterwards? Guess I just dont get why you would want to delete apps that support the data that you presumably want to keep.

Reactions: gwhizkids

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
So I'm curious why exactly would you do this anyway? How do you add, delete or access them afterwards? Guess I just dont get why you would want to delete apps that support the data that you presumably want to keep.
couldn't you still see them on the phone app contact button at the bottom. I never open my contact app and just do my adjustments from the phone app

Reactions: s2mike

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
couldn't you still see them on the phone app contact button at the bottom. I never open my contact app and just do my adjustments from the phone app
Well I dunno. I guess so according to @s2mike. Seems that the phone app is sort of opening the contacts app just via a different way verses an home screen icon. Just not sure why one would want to delete the app IF they actually use contacts (or passwords since thats what started this discussion)

Reactions: s2mike

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Well I dunno. I guess so according to @s2mike. Seems that the phone app is sort of opening the contacts app just via a different way verses an home screen icon. Just not sure why one would want to delete the app IF they actually use contacts (or passwords since thats what started this discussion)
just tried deleting the app, it says removing the app from the Home Screen will not delete your contacts. deleted the app and they are still in the phone contacts button.

reinstalled the app and everything is back to normal. I learned something today.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
For this RCS stuff, does the person on the other end have to do anything or is it just any android user? I have only one regular android correspondent and it’s still showing up as “SMS-text” for them. On AT&T and have it activated in settings
So.. I think the android user has to be using Google Messages for it to work. (RCS seems to be fragmented in it’s implementation on Android still so I guess Apple ensure compatibility with the one in use by Google.)

I have 2 androids for work - a Samsung S24 and a Google Pixel.. RCS worked for the Pixel just fine. For the Samsung, even though RCS was enabled on it and working Android to Android, it didn’t work with my iPhone until I installed Google Messages and used that.

Once I set it as the default messaging app, I got a popup saying that RCS was being set up and then complete shortly after that. THEN I started getting read receipts, typing indicators and the tap-back reactions worked properly.

EDIT: You also have to turn MMS OFF on your iPhone so that videos/photos will send in full size as opposed to compressed for text.

Last edited:

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
You can do all of that via the Phone app, so I see no need to have two apps that do the same thing.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
All I can say is.. thx for testing all the stuff which will hopefully work for most users come September…

SalsaBalls

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
For the first time in a LONG time - a beta update trashed up my iPhone. Pro Max 14 -- installed B2 and at first it was working.. behaving erratically then. SMS stopped working. Apps would open but not allow me to do anything. After a restart it would just endlessly Apple Logo loop until I gave up and restored. Any one else with a 14 having severe allergic reactions to B2?

• Wow
Reactions: dk001

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
And how does one “tell” anothter that it can accept RCS?

Included in your first RCS message to a number is a handshake to establish the availability of RCS in general, as well as a breakdown of what features your device/carrier/whatever supports. The recipient invisibly responds with the handshake as well as the supported features on that end.

This exchange occurs with every message. If the recipient does not respond to the handshake, this tells the protocol to fallback to SMS.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Included in your first RCS message to a number is a handshake to establish the availability of RCS in general, as well as a breakdown of what features your device/carrier/whatever supports. The recipient invisibly responds with the handshake as well as the supported features on that end.

This exchange occurs with every message. If the recipient does not respond to the handshake, this tells the protocol to fallback to SMS.
Great info! Thanks!

Reactions: ProbablyDylan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.