Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Well, I can only speak to my own experience… but I’ve had “Show Previews” set to “When Unlocked” ever since the iPhone X with Face ID was released.

Up until yesterday, an incoming text message on the Lock Screen would appear like this:

Johnny Appleseed

Then, once the phone was unlocked, you’d see the content of the text message on the Lock Screen. The important thing to note is that it would always display the person’s name, just not the content of the message:

Johnny Appleseed
Hey, how are you?

—————

However, starting yesterday, text messages on the Lock Screen now look like this:

And now, once the phone is unlocked, both the sender’s name and the content of the text message become visible:

Johnny Appleseed
Hey, how are you?

Reactions: Fred Zed

Artesia

Suspended
Mar 30, 2024
I reported this tone volume bug to apple:

Feedback id: FB14113342

IMG_0260.jpeg

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
Well, I can only speak to my own experience… but I’ve had “Show Previews” set to “When Unlocked” ever since the iPhone X with Face ID was released.

Up until yesterday, an incoming text message on the Lock Screen would appear like this:

Johnny Appleseed

Then, once the phone was unlocked, you’d see the content of the text message on the Lock Screen. The important thing to note is that it would always display the person’s name, just not the content of the message:

Johnny Appleseed
Hey, how are you?

—————

However, starting yesterday, text messages on the Lock Screen now look like this:

And now, once the phone is unlocked, both the sender’s name and the content of the text message become visible:

Johnny Appleseed
Hey, how are you?
Ah that makes sense. Any difference when you restart? I’ll check and see if I notice that, but I haven’t so far.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Ah that makes sense. Any difference when you restart? I’ll check and see if I notice that, but I haven’t so far.
I haven’t done a restart yet because I actually kinda like the change in a way…

…although, if they hid the contact photo as well as the name, I wouldn’t like it. I still want to be able to glance at my locked phone and know WHO the text is from (but obviously the context of the message needs to be hidden for privacy purposes)

EDIT: welp, curiosity got the best of me and I did a restart and now things are back to normal. Lock Screen text notifications are back to showing the sender’s name:

Johnny Appleseed
Last edited:

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
constant overheating too hot to charge errors. optimized off, no limit, no apps open, no case, co change from before and this is the first time I've seen this constantly pop up. can't finish charging. Iphone 15 MAx Pro. Hoping it's just the recent update beta and not hardwrae failyure. Battery health says normal 98%, and app battery usage seems normal.
I have the same on my 14PM. Thought it was the new Belkin Qi2 desk charger I bought, but it seems the phone is learning my sleep schedule - this morning the battery charging showed as okay in settings. Fingers crossed for tonight 😎
Edit: relearning my sleep schedule with b2….

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I got something similar the other day on IOS 17 so not sure if its new across the board or not but that was the first time it talked about what the images showed.
I got this on beta one when sending a picture with my AirPods in. Although it is likely AI or machine learning based, it probably an accessibility feature.

dgreening

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I got this on beta one when sending a picture with my AirPods in. Although it is likely AI or machine learning based, it probably an accessibility feature.
I have received the same thing when I have my AirPods on and that was in iOS 17. Kind of weird when she described the photo.

Reactions: Premium1

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
15 Pro Max
Books & Kindle

When reading a book, some pages will randomly have the bottom line cut off. Changing the font size will fix things for a while. Then it happens again.

It looks to be an app issue caused by a change in the OS. Saw something similar during the 17.5 betas.

But since Books is part of the OS….

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
Yeah. I’m personally fond of, you know, actually being able to find, edit and otherwise interact with my passwords rather than simply relying on the vagaries of the system to, maybe, hopefully surface them when I need them.
Can’t you just “hide” the app, instead of, you know, nuking it?

rti92391

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Anyone else's Home Key having difficulty? Schlage Encode locks + iPhone 15 Pro Max are not functioning properly in this beta. Doing a restore and set up from scratch to see if it fixes it.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
So.. I think the android user has to be using Google Messages for it to work. (RCS seems to be fragmented in it’s implementation on Android still so I guess Apple ensure compatibility with the one in use by Google.)

I have 2 androids for work - a Samsung S24 and a Google Pixel.. RCS worked for the Pixel just fine. For the Samsung, even though RCS was enabled on it and working Android to Android, it didn’t work with my iPhone until I installed Google Messages and used that.

Once I set it as the default messaging app, I got a popup saying that RCS was being set up and then complete shortly after that. THEN I started getting read receipts, typing indicators and the tap-back reactions worked properly.

EDIT: You also have to turn MMS OFF on your iPhone so that videos/photos will send in full size as opposed to compressed for text.
I would think having MMS on would still be a good thing. What if the other user is on Android without RCS?

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
A short sidenote about MMS in Germany (i.e. Vodafone), as the info is well hidden and even support doesn't seem to know it ...

Wonder why your iPhone even has no MMS switch in the cellular options? And adding a MMS APN doesn't help?
Don't worry ... it is not your or your iPhones fault - Vodafone just stopped the MMS service in January 2023!

Vodafone burries MMS

(Sorry for the German text...)

Reactions: 2Xtreme21

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I still have an issue where I have one bar at my house and sending a pic simply takes forever. But if I go into airplane mode, texting RCS with my Android friend is SO smooth.

iMessage always seems to default to WiFi and is always incredibly fast. RCS is still a little glitchy to me…but I guess it will only get better.

Just looking for the iMessage experience with my Android friends including sending speed/defaulting to WiFi when available.

Also, the keyboard glitch where it goes away while I’m typing when my Android friend starts typing (bubble appears) is annoying.

Eksoccer99

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2018
So far I’ve the right shortcut icon on the Lock Screen disappear, flashlight wigged out; didn’t come on, and sound/ ring notifications do seem off; louder or not working like others have stated. Reboot fixes the first two. Beta life.

Reactions: gwhizkids

vanilla.coffee

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
UK
15pro - settings freezes once I scroll down towards screen time. Becomes unresponsive and eventually closes after approx 30 seconds.
Submitted feedback.
Anyone else experiencing this one?

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
I haven’t done a restart yet because I actually kinda like the change in a way…

…although, if they hid the contact photo as well as the name, I wouldn’t like it. I still want to be able to glance at my locked phone and know WHO the text is from (but obviously the context of the message needs to be hidden for privacy purposes)

EDIT: welp, curiosity got the best of me and I did a restart and now things are back to normal. Lock Screen text notifications are back to showing the sender’s name:

Johnny Appleseed
Interesting glitch lol. Sorry I judged you the first time 😂

Reactions: s2mike

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
15pro - settings freezes once I scroll down towards screen time. Becomes unresponsive and eventually closes after approx 30 seconds.
Submitted feedback.
Anyone else experiencing this one?
I’m not on the beta, but did see it on a recent video from Zollo on Youtube.

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
Since the first iPhone X, it has done this 🤣😭
Based on responses from other people I would suggest it’s looking like this was either an accessibility setting that has now been turned on by default, or, a feature that’s been now turned on based on location.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.

Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed
Hey, how are you?

—————

Johnny Appleseed
Hey, how are you?
That’s awesome.

Reactions: Pug72

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
Not sure if anyone else is getting issues with iMessages not showing on Lock Screen anymore whether locked or unlocked.

Attachments

• IMG_8841.png
    IMG_8841.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8840.jpeg
    IMG_8840.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.