Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I like the new setting to require Face ID to unlock individual apps, however...I'm finding it annoying that this affects the behavior of notifications on lockscreen etc. There is already a setting to only show the detail of such notifications when unlocked, but enabling Face ID for an app seems to override it, so that there is no way to quickly view the detail of a notification. Am I missing a setting or is this by design?

It’s by design. Enabling Face ID for an app will not allow that app to launch without Face ID and disables its data from showing anywhere. That includes search and notifications as that would bypass the app being locked.

For example if you lock the WhatsApp app, you can no longer receive calls with it.

Personally I don’t really see the reason for explicitly locking apps with Face ID outside of you share your phone with your child.

user17

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
It’s by design. Enabling Face ID for an app will not allow that app to launch without Face ID and disables its data from showing anywhere. That includes search and notifications as that would bypass the app being locked.

For example if you lock the WhatsApp app, you can no longer receive calls with it.

Personally I don’t really see the reason for explicitly locking apps with Face ID outside of you share your phone with your child.

Thanks for the reply. I think the example given in the link to the guide page you provided was a good one - pass your phone to someone to check something (look at a photo, watch a short video) but they’re not able to access private apps because they’re locked. It’s a good idea. I just wish that it didn’t apply to notifications from those apps or that there was a choice to enable it or not. It’s already possible to only show notification previews “when unlocked” i.e when it’s unlocked with Face ID - so the privacy condition has already been satisfied at that point. If a notification comes in and I’m looking at the phone I want to see that notification preview and this new feature shouldn’t prevent that.

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
Yesterday I decided to experiment with updating to iOS 18.0 via 'Apple Devices' and it failed. Installed the latest version of this application on Windows 11 23H2, through DFU it reached about 50% and gave an error, tried 5-6 times. At the same time, iOS 17.6.1 was able to install on the first try. So it seems that 'Apple Devices' is incompatible with iOS 18.0, at least version 1.1031.17413.0, so don't even try, you'll only waste your time.
Ever get it working?

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I fixed all my CarPlay issues with iOS 18 by disabling USB Auto Launch on my car’s infotainment system. Previously my phone would randomly disconnect from wired CarPlay as well as anytime I used the phone.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I fixed all my CarPlay issues with iOS 18 by disabling USB Auto Launch on my car’s infotainment system. Previously my phone would randomly disconnect from wired CarPlay as well as anytime I used the phone.
Interesting! Do you mind me asking what kind of car you have? I do t seem to have this option on my Impala’s head unit in its settings.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
2020 Chevy Bolt EV
I've got a 2018 Impala- I wonder if the underlying OS just doesn't offer that for me. I think mine's pretty basic. Oh well! I don't expect much as far as upgrades go for a 6 year old car like mine.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I've got a 2018 Impala- I wonder if the underlying OS just doesn't offer that for me. I think mine's pretty basic. Oh well! I don't expect much as far as upgrades go for a 6 year old car like mine.

I'd try searching the internet if there's any sw updates for your vehicle. I don't have a GM but for my car, I can find updates and release notes. Next time you're in for service, ask the service manager to check to see if there's updates for your vehicle.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I'd try searching the internet if there's any sw updates for your vehicle. I don't have a GM but for my car, I can find updates and release notes. Next time you're in for service, ask the service manager to check to see if there's updates for your vehicle.
I have, and mine even lets me know when an update is available. I still have to go in for Service, but still. I've got a pretty decent relationship with the Service Department folks.

nightmare28

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
After updating the new ip16 to 22A3354 assistive touch do not let the control of ringtone/ sounds on or off any more. In every previous iPhones this was possible!
And in think before the small update it was possible even on the ip16!

Reduced functionality even for this thing is not good.

GuruGuy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2024
I just tried to restore an iPad (which was already on ipad os 18) in Apple devices and it did the same thing also. Which means apple devices went through the process of downloading an IPSW it can’t even function with.

How do we make a point to Apple that this is unacceptable? For the amount of money we pay for their supposed “best in class” hardware and software this should NOT be happening. For Apple to be the “it just works” company I expect it to just work

It’s another instance of Apple neglecting the local backup and device management features people have relied on for nearly 20 years just to push them towards their cloud services that not everybody wants a part of. And I won’t stand for it.

Let’s see what happens when the 16Pro we are waiting on shows up today and Apple Devices won’t even allow us to restore from a backup… my blood is already boiling.
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I’ll say that on my windows 11 machines, I still use iTunes. I do use iCloud for device backups but also have an encrypted copy of each that I keep in the windows machines. Friday I used iTunes to backup two iPhones and then successfully restored them to my two new 16 PM’s. No errors, no issues.

As far as actual firmware updates go, I do OTA and haven’t tried iTunes for that. It’s just faster and easier with the amount of devices I have to update.

Reactions: MrRom92

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I’ll say that on my windows 11 machines, I still use iTunes. I do use iCloud for device backups but also have an encrypted copy of each that I keep in the windows machines. Friday I used iTunes to backup two iPhones and then successfully restored them to my two new 16 PM’s. No errors, no issues.

As far as actual firmware updates go, I do OTA and haven’t tried iTunes for that. It’s just faster and easier with the amount of devices I have to update.
I think I forgot to report back here but I should add that restoring a backup to the 16 Pro *did* work, although the new Apple Devices app lacks the progress bar and ETA that iTunes used to display during that process.
However, restoring or updating the actual firmware (as I did on the iPad and one of the iPhones) is where the trouble is. I understand it’s less common or convenient these days than OTA for many people but I do expect the functionality to at least work and not brick devices in the process. Never thought I’d say this, but I miss iTunes!

Hedkandi

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
IMG_6676.jpeg
Touch wood, haven't had this today, network has been stable.
The SIM card is fine!

TheByteSmasher

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
Atlantis

Just as a check: is the Lightning/usb-c cable connected directly to your PC or through a dock/daisy chain? I had trouble updating iPad (via iTunes, PC) when the cable was through a dock but it worked on direct connection.

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2021
Just as a check: is the Lightning/usb-c cable connected directly to your PC or through a dock/daisy chain? I had trouble updating iPad (via iTunes, PC) when the cable was through a dock but it worked on direct connection.
Not who was quoted but as I originally reported this issue, I’ll respond. My phone was directly connected to the PC’s USB-C port on the front. Using the same port and same cables by the way that I have been using for these devices in the past. The third party program completed the updates and restored perfectly fine as well. All signs point to this being a software issue with the poorly programmed Apple Devices application that replaced iTunes earlier this year.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
I have noticed an issue where camera freezes when macro mode switching lenses in 4K 24FPS and 30FPS. It works on other resolutions and FPS settings.

Anybody else experiencing that?
I have reported it to Apple through feedback. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m tempted to update all my devices to iOS 18.0 today, through a clean install. Do you think it’s the right move, or given how close 18.0.1 would be better to wait until next weekend?

Are you finding many bugs on A15 iPhones and M2 iPads? Thank you.

17fox

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Vienna, Austria
I’m tempted to update all my devices to iOS 18.0 today, through a clean install. Do you think it’s the right move, or given how close 18.0.1 would be better to wait until next weekend?

I use a 13 Pro and have been really satisfied with 18.0 so far. The only issue I’ve come across is that sometimes music continues playing for 5-7 seconds even after I’ve paused it.

Reactions: Populus

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I’ve found 18.0 similar to other x.0 releases, namely that there’s nothing device breaking, but it feels like beta software. Basically a lot of little annoyances which add up.

A few examples in iOS 18:

- The badge and Lock Screen notifications for Messages frequently doesn’t update when messages are synced from other devices.
- Mail frequently doesn’t download unless phone is plugged in, even though fetch is set to 15 minutes.
- Notes don’t always sync properly and I end up with missing text on one device.

I always say new major x.0 are the worst user experience time as the phone goes from working almost flawlessly to buggy and doesn’t really go back to being good again until around 5 or 6 months later.

Reactions: Populus

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015

I now have the 16PM but I had updated my 15PM to ios 18 and was using that with only one issue immediately noticeable—iCloud tabs do not appear in Safari on my other device unless I force quit Safari or restart the device. That is still an issue now in 18.1 on both my phone and ipad. There also was a Mail server issue that seems to have just gone away, for me, in the last couple days. Prior to 18 I rarely had either issue. But 18 in general has been pretty much problem free. Same for 18.1. But we all use our devices differently so our experience will vary quite a bit.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
iOS 18 (22A3354): iCloud tabs from other devices do not show up unless Safari browser is force closed and restarted.

Expected behaviour:

The iCloud tabs from one device should show up on all devices using same iCloud ID and Safari syncing with iCloud is toggled ON, without having to force close the safari browser, or at least just after the safari browser is minimised and reopened (without force closing).

Observed behaviour:

The iCloud tabs do not show up on any of the devices connected using the same iCloud ID, unless the safari browser is force closed and reopened.

Anyone else?

Carlsberg69

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2023
iOS 18 (22A3354): iCloud tabs from other devices do not show up unless Safari browser is force closed and restarted.

Expected behaviour:

The iCloud tabs from one device should show up on all devices using same iCloud ID and Safari syncing with iCloud is toggled ON, without having to force close the safari browser, or at least just after the safari browser is minimised and reopened (without force closing).

Observed behaviour:

The iCloud tabs do not show up on any of the devices connected using the same iCloud ID, unless the safari browser is force closed and reopened.

Anyone else?
Noticed I got this further down in a new window. After clicking ”Turn on” it appears to work ok. Looks like a privacy thing. IMG_0471.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.