Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
A few bugs on my 15 PM:

1. iCloud tabs no longer update in real time.
2. I had my phone completely lock up for a good minute. I was about to hard reset it.
3. I had search hang. I searched for an app and tried to open it. At that point I couldn’t type or doing anything from the search screen. I had to restart my iPhone to get it working again.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Not sure if it’s a bug or a feature that was removed but if you have a weather Lock Screen and it’s raining. The rain animation freezes(stops) after a few seconds.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I got a notification this morning on my 15 PM that I should change battery charging to 80% based on my usage. I guess that’s new as I’ve never seen that before.

That’s ironic as my battery life on iOS 18 has been poor with around 25% being Home and Lock Screen.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stiille

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
Not sure if it's been mentioned but iOS 18 has fixed a camera issue with focus on close up objects. I regularly use my iPhone 15 PM to take photos of defects on Macs for my job (as do other colleagues) and we had issues before with focusing, these have all now been fixed and the camera focuses just fine with no blur.

litvcom

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2023
Yes, I’ve only ever used completely official Apple software in 17+ years of owning an iPhone and managing backups/updates via PC. It’s the “bootleg” 3rd party software that saved the day and actually resolved the catastrophic problem created by Apple’s software.
Yesterday I decided to experiment with updating to iOS 18.0 via 'Apple Devices' and it failed. Installed the latest version of this application on Windows 11 23H2, through DFU it reached about 50% and gave an error, tried 5-6 times. At the same time, iOS 17.6.1 was able to install on the first try. So it seems that 'Apple Devices' is incompatible with iOS 18.0, at least version 1.1031.17413.0, so don't even try, you'll only waste your time.

Reactions: MrRom92

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2021
Yesterday I decided to experiment with updating to iOS 18.0 via 'Apple Devices' and it failed. Installed the latest version of this application on Windows 11 23H2, through DFU it reached about 50% and gave an error, tried 5-6 times. At the same time, iOS 17.6.1 was able to install on the first try. So it seems that 'Apple Devices' is incompatible with iOS 18.0, at least version 1.1031.17413.0, so don't even try, you'll only waste your time.
really interesting, thank you for the update and taking the time to try this for science. It’s a shame that we really can’t even trust Apple’s own “it just works” ecosystem to, well, just work. In over 17 years of using iTunes to update iPhones this has never happened once. Apple Devices was supposed to be a step forward from ancient and “bloated” iTunes but it doesn’t even do the one thing it was designed to do.

Reactions: litvcom

c47v3770

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
Same thing happened to me. What a waste of time...

• Sad
Reactions: MrRom92

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2021
I just tried to restore an iPad (which was already on ipad os 18) in Apple devices and it did the same thing also. Which means apple devices went through the process of downloading an IPSW it can’t even function with.

How do we make a point to Apple that this is unacceptable? For the amount of money we pay for their supposed “best in class” hardware and software this should NOT be happening. For Apple to be the “it just works” company I expect it to just work

It’s another instance of Apple neglecting the local backup and device management features people have relied on for nearly 20 years just to push them towards their cloud services that not everybody wants a part of. And I won’t stand for it.

Let’s see what happens when the 16Pro we are waiting on shows up today and Apple Devices won’t even allow us to restore from a backup… my blood is already boiling.

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022
has anyone said anything about it in the battery place saying a set up is going on in your background of your phone. Just got the message after I charged my phone, can this effect or harm my phone or is it a useless message?

anyone get this after downloading?

GXoYreAWUAAQ0qK

here is an image

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
If you type "s" into a spotlight search, the search crashes. So if you want to open say "signal" you have to type the first two letters in quickly before it does whatever causes the crash.

I tried the rest of the alphabet; only "s" does this. Does anyone else have this issue?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
If you type "s" into a spotlight search, the search crashes. So if you want to open say "signal" you have to type the first two letters in quickly before it does whatever causes the crash.

I tried the rest of the alphabet; only "s" does this. Does anyone else have this issue?

Not happening here

cbpoint

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
Apple Devices is the windows program that Apple makes to manage Apple Devices, it has only recently replaced iTunes. It’s not as good and even buggier in some ways (clearly) but supposedly iTunes will not work with any iOS 18 IPSW

I connected my iPhone with the standard Apple USB-C lightning cable.

For one, I needed to do a backup prior to the update, so I would need to go on the computer anyway. And I almost needed to use said backup! I also don’t like OTA updates and only do them when absolutely forced (betas)

It’s the experience of many that hardwired IPSW installs are more reliable. This was a strange outlier but it’s also the first time I ever was forced to use Apple Devices instead of iTunes, so my blame is on that and not the wired update process itself.

I should add that I made sure Apple Devices was completely up to date before beginning the backup/update process.

Did anybody else try to update to iOS 18 in Apple Devices? What was your experience?
I had similar problem as yours, my update using apple devices got stuck with error 10. And to complete my bad luck I also forgot my apple id password so it added difficulty to restore my IP15Pro from its backup since the iphone is in limbo Apple Devices only recognize the iPhone in rescue mode. That's when I remember maybe I can restore the iphone through ipsw so without my appleid password I can not download the file from apple. Instead asked copilot were to find the ipsw to download from. I actually gambled downloading ipsw file from a non apple site but copilot said it's ok.🙃 I acquired the latest signed iOS 17 from the site then used it to restore my iPhone. I probably was fine with iOs 18 IPSW but I intentionally used iOS17 ipsw since I'm half trusting the file, my intention was to restore it from my apple devices backup before the update after my phone comes up from death so I can get my datas back.

Here's the step I did to restore my iphone's datas assuming you encypted the backup.
1. Acquire the IPSW to restore
2. Used IPSW file using Apple Devices (shift, choose the IPSW file you just downloaded then click restore) to restore.
3. Once phone is restored restart Apple Devices(Now apple devices will show you backup files to choose from)
4. Choose the latest backup then click restore.
5. iPhone is now back to pre iOS18.
6. This time I opted to update to iOS18 through OTA. 😇

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Doesn't crash for me either..

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
IMG_0002.jpeg

iPhone Settings app does not show toggle button for SMS forwarding (iOS Settings app > Apps > Messages > SMS Forwarding) against new iPadOS and macOS devices logged in to iCloud with same Apple ID. Messages in iCloud are switched On for all devices, and all devices are on latest iOS, iPadOS, macOS.

However, the toggle button appears for SMS forwarding in iPhone against any device in the following conditions:

1.) the iPhone is formatted and restored as new, after that device was logged in to iCloud with same ID. In other words, the iPhone logs in to iCloud and Messages in iCloud in the last out of all devices; or

2.) the messages in iCloud is toggled "Off" in the respective device.

I dont know if the above condition (2) is logical, but the condition at (1) definitely does not seem to have any basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.