Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
Just came across a bug in iOS 18:

Settings > Apps (the title here should say “Apps,” but so far it has displayed as “General” or “iCloud+” for me).
This is bugged in the two-column iPadOS Settings but not iOS for me.

Most easily repeatable if you force quit Settings to start.
  1. Open Settings (always defaults opening to General) don’t scroll the right column yet
  2. Tap Apps in the left column at the bottom
  3. Apps appears in the right column but missing a title at the top
If you repeat the steps but do scroll down the right column before navigating to Apps, the right-column title header from the previous category is inherited instead of changing to Apps. If you now navigate away from Apps and back again it fixes itself until the next force quit or auto memory clear of Settings.

The iCloud category title is broken (truncated) no matter how you navigate…

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 17.06.19.png

Longer titles aren’t truncated like this.

I can sort of see why Apple added the icon and description headings to some big categories like General and Accessibility but it’s introduced another inconsistency like padding, horizontal scrollability, pop-up sub categories like Mailbox Behaviours, some iCloud settings pages like Hide My Email don’t refresh changes unless you navigate backwards and reopen the sub-category.

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I noticed that RCS doesn’t work when a VPN is enabled, specifically Mullvad, anyone else notice this?

kvlq

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2015
Still no dark icons for Instagram and Reddit in official iOS18? :(

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
iOS 18

Developer Release Date
― September 9, 2024
Public Release Date ― September 16, 2024
Build Number ― 22A3354
Darwin Kernel Version ― 24.0.0: Thu Aug 8 01:17:15 PDT 2024; root:xnu-11215.2.5~62

iOS 18 Release Notes

New Issues
Remaining Issues
Resolved Issues

Additional Notes

To get the beta over-the-air:
  1. Enable Beta Updates (Settings > General > Software Updates > Beta Updates)
  2. Make sure you’re signed into the right Apple Account
  3. Select which beta you’d like to receive (public/developer beta)
  4. Hit "Back" and pull down to refresh
  5. Back up to a computer or to iCloud
  6. Install the beta
If you no longer wish to receive beta updates:
  1. Turn off the Beta Updates (you can also sign out of your Apple Account to reset this setting)
  2. Wait for the next public release or follow the guide below to go back to a release build
Troubleshooting: If the beta doesn’t show up on your phone, try turning on airplane mode, then turning it back off, or restart your device.

How to install using a Mac?
  1. You’ll need the Xcode beta itself or a MobileDevice.pkg somebody extracted from the beta (click with two fingers or control-click), then choose Show Package Contents. Go to Contents/Resources/Packages. - this will work on older Macs that do not support the latest macOS or Xcode betas)
  2. Back up to your Mac or to iCloud in case you need to go back to another version
  3. Hold down Option, then click on ‘Check for Update’/‘Restore iPhone...’ and select the IPSW file you downloaded from the Apple Developer site. Note: You must be connected to the internet to complete the restore.
  4. Enter your iPhone passcode if you’re prompted to do so.
Notes/Tips:
  • Always keep a backup in case you need to restore your phone
  • Restoring wipes your settings and all data on your iPhone
  • You only need to reinstall MobileDevice.pkg if your Mac stops recognizing your iPhone
  • There is no MobileDevice.pkg equivalent to iTunes for PC which would require a new iTunes to support new/beta iOS
  • Upgrading to a newer iPhone? You can update using your Mac before setting up the phone
  • iPhone 15 series: 2.16.06
  • iPhone 14 series: 3.02.08
  • iPhone 13 series and iPhone SE (3rd gen): 4.02.05
  • iPhone 12 series: 4.50.06
  • iPhone 11 series, iPhone SE (2nd gen) and iPad Air (Cellular, 4th gen): 5.50.00
  • iPhone XS, XS Max and XR: 6.50.02
Australia
  • Optus - 51.0
  • Telstra - 55.0
  • Vodafone AU - 59
Belgium
  • BASE - 33.0
  • Orange B - 58
  • Proximus - 45.0
  • Telenet - 59.0.1 (updated in beta 6)
Brazil (updated 18b4)
  • Claro Brasil - 58.5.13
  • Vivo - 58.5.11
  • TIM -
  • Oi -
Canada
  • Bell - 59.0
  • Fido - 56.0
  • Fizz - 53.0
  • Freedom/Shaw Mobile - 54.8.6
  • Mint Mobile - 58.0
  • Public Mobile - 54.8.4
  • Rogers - 59.0
  • Telus - 54.8.8
  • Videotron - 53.0
  • Virgin Mobile - 50.0
Denmark
  • 3 DK - 46.7.11
  • TDC 59.0
  • Telia 59.0
Finland
  • DNA - 58.5.7
France
  • Bouygues Telecom - 40.0
  • Orange France - 58.0
  • SFR -
Germany
  • Vodafone.de - 59.0
  • Telekom.de - 58.5.15
  • O2-DE - 59.0.1
Greece:
  • Cosmote - 38.0
Guatemala
  • TIGO GT - 49.0
India
  • Airtel - 58.5.18
  • Jio - 58.5.18 (iPhone) and 58.5.18 (iPad)
  • Vi India (Vodafone Idea) - 58.5
Ireland
  • Eir - 33.5
  • Vodafone IE - 38.0
Mexico
  • AT&T - 57.0
  • Telcel - 57.6
Morocco
  • Orange - 50.0
Netherlands
  • KPN - 58.1
  • Vodafone NL - 45.0
  • Odido -
Poland
  • T-Mobile -
  • Orange - 59.0
  • Play - 59.0
  • Plus - 59.0
Portugal
  • Vodafone P - 40.0
Romania
  • Orange RO - 55.0
Slovakia
  • Orange SK - 57.6
Southeast Asia
  • Singapore Singtel -
  • Philippines Globe - 58.0
  • Philippines Globe (iPad) - 38.0
  • Philippines Smart - 58.0
  • Thailand AIS - 53.0
  • Thailand DTAC - 53.0
  • Malaysia Umobile - 33.0
  • Malaysia Maxis -33.0
  • Malaysia Digi -
  • Malaysia celcom -
  • Hong Kong - 32.0
  • Taiwan -
Spain
  • Orange ES - 58.5.15
  • DIGI ES - 54.8.4
  • Vodafone ES - 54.8.8
  • Movistar - 58.0
Sweden
  • Comviq -
  • Tre - 31.0
Switzerland
  • Salt - 58.0
  • Sunrise - 59.0
  • Swisscom - 58.0
Turkey
  • Turkcell (Lifecell) - 36.5.5
  • Vodafone TR - 32.0
  • Turk Telekom - 32.0
United Kingdom
  • EE - 59.0.1
  • BT-UK (EE MVNO)-
  • Three - 59.1
  • iD Mobile (Three MVNO) - 59
  • O2-UK -
  • Giffgaff (O2 MVNO) -
  • Sky (O2 MVNO) -
  • Vodafone UK - 59.0
  • Virgin Mobile (EE MVNO) -
  • Lebara (Vodafone MVNO) -
United States
  • AT&T - 59.0
  • Boost - 57.0
  • Cricket - 58.0
  • FirstNet - 55.0
  • FirstNet (iPad) - 41.7.6
  • Metro (TMO MVNO) - 59.0
  • Spectrum (VZW MVNO) - 58.0
  • T-Mobile - 59.0
  • TracFone/Straight Talk/Walmart Family Mobile - 59.1
  • U.S. Cellular - 46.7.24
  • Ultra/Mint Mobile (TMO MVNO) - 59.0
  • Verizon - 59.0
  • Visible (VZW MVNO) - 51.0.1
  • Xfinity Mobile - 57.6.1
Other
  • Docomo - 32.5.10
  • AlwaysOnline -

Historical beta release chart

Apple official docs [also attached]
iOS 18 - All New Features - Sep 2024.pdf (v1.0)

iPadOS 18 - All New Features - Sep 2024.pdf (v1.0)

Attachments

• iOS_18_All_New_Features_Sept_2024.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • iPadOS_18_All_New_Features_Sept_2024.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 16

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Still no dark icons for Instagram and Reddit in official iOS18? :(
Instagram updated yesterday and has a dark icon now.

Reddit also has a dark icon, but only it you’re using the “original” icon… it doesn’t work for any of the other ones.

• Love
Reactions: Heymily and kvlq

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Since updating to iOS 18 I cannot receive emails from my @myname.com on either iPhone or iPad in  Mail App.
I have deleted that mailbox and re added it but no change. I can send but not receive.
No problem whatsoever on MBA with 15

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is this a bug? The date on the calendar app says MON 16 but if I tap to open the folder then it says TUE 17.

IMG_1218.jpeg

IMG_1219.jpeg

Heymily

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2023
Europe
Am I the only one who has the bug in the keyboard when I search for an emoji? I mean, the emoji search works fine but the animation simply doesn't exist anymore since iOS 18, so the rendering is less pleasant and is a bit strange :(

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2021
I just want to relay what a NIGHTMARE it was to update to the final iOS 18 on my 14 Pro Max!!!

I had been on the beta train but didn’t install some of the more recent beta builds - it was working fine for me and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I had only experienced one crash about a month ago and figured I would just wait for 18.0.1… i probably would have waited for 18.0.1 but my device was starting to get a little sluggish and hot, and certain apps just were refusing to open, so I figured I would install the 18 official release.

I connected my device to Apple Devices using an official Apple USB-C cable. Apple Devices would not recognize there being a need to update, it seemed to say I was on the latest version (iOS 18) even though it was an older beta build and not the final. So I downloaded the ipsw and shift-updated to manually select the file.

It appeared to start loading the update onto my device when at the halfway point I got a strange error code on Apple Devices saying that it could not complete the update, and there was no progress from there. The bar remained half-full.

I did a force-restart on my phone, which landed me in recovery mode. I was presented the option in Apple devices to update the phone again, so I retried that, and it appeared to do this all again… only to be hit with the same error message halfway through. Retried, and retried, again, again, and again.

I looked for software that could kick my phone out of recovery mode. and iMazing seemed to be capable of doing this. Since no update was actually installed, it was only loading in the IPSW before it failed, I was hoping that I would NOT have to completely restore and load my near-1TB backup onto my phone over a USB 2 connection!! Ideally I’d be able to just turn my phone on again.

IMazing recognized my device in recovery mode and prompted me that it was possible to update/completely reinstall iOS without affecting user data. Okay, that could be ideal. So I figured I’d try it. At this point I’m facing the real possibility of a complete restore so what do I have to lose?

Well, the answer to that is $50. I needed to buy an iMazing license. But after getting in my credit card info (harder to do than you’d think when you don’t have a functioning phone!!) it began the process of updating my device with the iOS 18 IPSW I pointed it to.

Immediately it started making more progress on the loading bar than the official Apple Devices program managed to do. Eventually the process completed and my iPhone booted back up with the final iOS 18 installed and everything completely intact.

Crisis averted! It’s a shame that Apple’s own software is completely useless and designed by imbeciles, but iMazing REALLY saved my tuchas here. This should not have happened and I would not be out any money if Apple’s software was actually functional, but at least I have a working phone with my data intact after being put in this situation.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
And just came here to say that the squared-notification bubble bug that appeared in ios16...
IS STILL not fixed in IOS18. o_O

Except it's not quite as bad now. Now it's only the top notification in the stack that seems to get the square corners instead of all the notifications in the stack. But cmon. This is crazy

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
And just came here to say that the squared-notification bubble bug that appeared in ios16...
IS STILL not fixed in IOS18. o_O

Except it's not quite as bad now. Now it's only the top notification in the stack that seems to get the square corners instead of all the notifications in the stack. But cmon. This is crazy
it still happens for all my notifications on the lock screen, not often but its worse for me. stays squared for a few seconds. I've tried to screenshot it, but of course the second i do, it fixes itself and isnt captured.

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I just want to relay what a NIGHTMARE it was to update to the final iOS 18 on my 14 Pro Max!!!

I had been on the beta train but didn’t install some of the more recent beta builds - it was working fine for me and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I had only experienced one crash about a month ago and figured I would just wait for 18.0.1… i probably would have waited for 18.0.1 but my device was starting to get a little sluggish and hot, and certain apps just were refusing to open, so I figured I would install the 18 official release.

I connected my device to Apple Devices using an official Apple USB-C cable. Apple Devices would not recognize there being a need to update, it seemed to say I was on the latest version (iOS 18) even though it was an older beta build and not the final. So I downloaded the ipsw and shift-updated to manually select the file.

It appeared to start loading the update onto my device when at the halfway point I got a strange error code on Apple Devices saying that it could not complete the update, and there was no progress from there. The bar remained half-full.

I did a force-restart on my phone, which landed me in recovery mode. I was presented the option in Apple devices to update the phone again, so I retried that, and it appeared to do this all again… only to be hit with the same error message halfway through. Retried, and retried, again, again, and again.

I looked for software that could kick my phone out of recovery mode. and iMazing seemed to be capable of doing this. Since no update was actually installed, it was only loading in the IPSW before it failed, I was hoping that I would NOT have to completely restore and load my near-1TB backup onto my phone over a USB 2 connection!! Ideally I’d be able to just turn my phone on again.

IMazing recognized my device in recovery mode and prompted me that it was possible to update/completely reinstall iOS without affecting user data. Okay, that could be ideal. So I figured I’d try it. At this point I’m facing the real possibility of a complete restore so what do I have to lose?

Well, the answer to that is $50. I needed to buy an iMazing license. But after getting in my credit card info (harder to do than you’d think when you don’t have a functioning phone!!) it began the process of updating my device with the iOS 18 IPSW I pointed it to.

Immediately it started making more progress on the loading bar than the official Apple Devices program managed to do. Eventually the process completed and my iPhone booted back up with the final iOS 18 installed and everything completely intact.

Crisis averted! It’s a shame that Apple’s own software is completely useless and designed by imbeciles, but iMazing REALLY saved my tuchas here. This should not have happened and I would not be out any money if Apple’s software was actually functional, but at least I have a working phone with my data intact after being put in this situation.

What is "Apple Devices" in your description? What did you connect your iPhone to in order to update and why didn't you just update OTA?

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2021
What is "Apple Devices" in your description? What did you connect your iPhone to in order to update and why didn't you just update OTA?
Apple Devices is the windows program that Apple makes to manage Apple Devices, it has only recently replaced iTunes. It’s not as good and even buggier in some ways (clearly) but supposedly iTunes will not work with any iOS 18 IPSW

I connected my iPhone with the standard Apple USB-C lightning cable.

For one, I needed to do a backup prior to the update, so I would need to go on the computer anyway. And I almost needed to use said backup! I also don’t like OTA updates and only do them when absolutely forced (betas)

It’s the experience of many that hardwired IPSW installs are more reliable. This was a strange outlier but it’s also the first time I ever was forced to use Apple Devices instead of iTunes, so my blame is on that and not the wired update process itself.

I should add that I made sure Apple Devices was completely up to date before beginning the backup/update process.

Did anybody else try to update to iOS 18 in Apple Devices? What was your experience?

Reactions: ManuCH and litvcom

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013

Sheesh. People use bootleg installer software and have the temerity to blame Apple when Bad Things Happen.

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2021
Apple Devices is the official Windows application from Apple.
Yes, I’ve only ever used completely official Apple software in 17+ years of owning an iPhone and managing backups/updates via PC. It’s the “bootleg” 3rd party software that saved the day and actually resolved the catastrophic problem created by Apple’s software.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Safari iCloud tabs are busted…which has happened every single year since 2020
Yep! Restarting the device, or force quitting Safari, will display open tabs from your other synced devices. But other than doing either of those things I‘ve not found any way to get them shown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.