Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

EmmieT

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
f548bfbb2abadc31691b11836f94c88d.jpg

2285622240c1f79cf5e33e335e61a5fb.jpg

18dc0a8c23e36f67fc08e6c3806db842.jpg

This phone has a third party battery in it

• Wow
Reactions: iLuddite

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Straight out of the box, this version is flying on my 15 Pro Max. Big difference from the last public beta! 👌🏻🔥🔥
Let’s hope so for battery life and heat affecting battery life!
Did the RC update via OTA, hopefully it fixed the heat, because otherwise I will go to Apple Store next week and get my iPhone reset with IPSW

Reactions: James6s

ellpee

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
I wouldn't say easy but it is possible and not difficult. I had to do it about a month ago when my iPhone 15 Pro (on 18.1 Beta) got damaged and I had to restore to a iPhone 14 Pro with 18.0 Beta but was unable to as I was trying to restore a newer version backup (18.1) to an older version device (18.0). This is what I did to then fix that and downgrade from iOS 18.1 to iOS 18.

You will need the IPSW for the RC and Xcode installed. The steps I did were as follows;

1. Back your iPhone to your Mac (I recommend an encrypted backup as it backs up secure information)
2. Go to the Backup folder (name of which is a string of numbers and letters) which is found in Username/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
3. In the folder there are two files called "Info.plist" and "Manifest.plist". Open them with Xcode
4. In "Info.plist" there are Key's with "Build Version" and "Product Version". Change the value's of them to the build version of the RC and change the 18.1 to 18.0
5. In the "Manifest.plist" file expand the "Lockdown" key and change the value for the "ProductVersion" and "BuildVersion" key's to the same as above
6. Restore backup from Finder to your iOS 18 RC phone

I hope this all makes sense
Nice instructions!

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
I wouldn't say easy but it is possible and not difficult. I had to do it about a month ago when my iPhone 15 Pro (on 18.1 Beta) got damaged and I had to restore to a iPhone 14 Pro with 18.0 Beta but was unable to as I was trying to restore a newer version backup (18.1) to an older version device (18.0). This is what I did to then fix that and downgrade from iOS 18.1 to iOS 18.

You will need the IPSW for the RC and Xcode installed. The steps I did were as follows;

1. Back your iPhone to your Mac (I recommend an encrypted backup as it backs up secure information)
2. Go to the Backup folder (name of which is a string of numbers and letters) which is found in Username/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
3. In the folder there are two files called "Info.plist" and "Manifest.plist". Open them with Xcode
4. In "Info.plist" there are Key's with "Build Version" and "Product Version". Change the value's of them to the build version of the RC and change the 18.1 to 18.0
5. In the "Manifest.plist" file expand the "Lockdown" key and change the value for the "ProductVersion" and "BuildVersion" key's to the same as above
6. Restore backup from Finder to your iOS 18 RC phone

I hope this all makes sense
You literally only have to change the product version in the info.plist file to 18.0 That's it.

KingOC

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2024
IMG_1752.jpeg
What’s updating ? It’s been popping up since the update today. It hasn’t gone away

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
IMG_4682.jpeg
IMG_4683.png
Can someone confirm, this is going to install 18.0 and not 18.1? Did not partake in the beta this year so not in the loop.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Any chance to activate the AI features again out of the states? I completely reinstalled and now I’m out again and changing the location and language doesn’t work anymore

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Anyone been on later the betas and use Mint Mobile? They’re notorious for not updating their cell modem to be compatible for weeks after launch. Just wondering how the call experience has been before I pull the trigger. Should I wait and stay on 17.6.1 or is it safe to update?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Noticing that when I tap the Sleep widget on my Home Screen, the animation starts from the where the Health app icon is on the same page, rather than the widget. I've tried removing both the app icon and the widget and it does the same thing. Not a huge deal, just something I noticed that I didn't see in beta 8.

Music continues to show the wrong album covers every now and again. Noticed this pretty early in the beta cycle and it wasn't fixed. Seems like a simple cell reuse issue, lol.

ShaneSparkyYYZ

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Toronto, Canada
View attachment 2414783 What’s updating ? It’s been popping up since the update today. It hasn’t gone away

Indexing files/photos after the update to make searching and suggestions work better. Hated this after each beta cause I have 10k photos but never saw this shown in the battery section before aside from the photos app saying it.

Be nice if Apple had a “tap to learn more” to see what that means in more detail should a consumer want to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.