Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soonadog

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
More Safari goodness: if you hold down the new tab button you get a list of closed tabs and you can reopen them. You can also rearrange the tabs by dragging them left or right.

What is the new tab button? Is this something just on the new 4S phone (I have the original 4). I'm ot sure what the tabs thing is.

Also, I set Safari to "open links in background" instead of ". . . in new page," but I don't see that it's doing anything differently. Some links still open in a new page.

Any help?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
What is the new tab button? Is this something just on the new 4S phone (I have the original 4). I'm ot sure what the tabs thing is.

Also, I set Safari to "open links in background" instead of ". . . in new page," but I don't see that it's doing anything differently. Some links still open in a new page.

Any help?
There is a little tab containing a + on the far right of all open tabs. I see this on my iPad Safari. It opens a New Tab. I didn't know about holding it down to view Closed Tabs. Thanks to the poster of that tip. :) On my upgraded iPhone 4 Safari still opens up Pages as previously.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010

Any help?
Only for iPad

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
open in background
when your viewing a site and you hold a link down, you can have it open in the background while still viewing your current page. the page will even be download immediately and will be available when you go to it. this works on my iphone4. ipad1 does not load them in the background for some reason...

Gottahaveit77

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Does anyone know what thread people are discussing the bluetooth music streaming in your car, dock connector not working when bluetooth audio is streaming?

soonadog

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
open in background
when your viewing a site and you hold a link down, you can have it open in the background while still viewing your current page. the page will even be download immediately and will be available when you go to it. this works on my iphone4. ipad1 does not load them in the background for some reason...

Okay, when I hold a link down, a screen appears that lets me select whether to "Open," "Open in New Page," "Add to Reading List," or "Copy." The same thing happens regardless of how I have set settings > safari > open links (whether In New Page or In Background), so I'm not sure what that setting is doing.

This is on iPhone 4.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Okay, when I hold a link down, a screen appears that lets me select whether to "Open," "Open in New Page," "Add to Reading List," or "Copy." The same thing happens regardless of how I have set settings > safari > open links (whether In New Page or In Background), so I'm not sure what that setting is doing.

This is on iPhone 4.

settings > safari

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010

This is on iPhone 4.

depending on what setting you have it set at, when you hit "open in new page" it will A) go directly to that page OR B) stay at the page you are currently viewing and open the page in background.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
It never opens in the background as it should unless you hold down on the link and select open in background.

webmasterindia6

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
I found that if you attempt to use the red-eye removal tool, and it doesn't detect red eye... you are stuck. There is no back, or cancel button to get you back to the camera roll.

...but that's not really a feature...

Thank You for sharing this Interesting and Useful Information .

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Do you have an email account with unlimited attachment size?

No but I know I can send 25MB's and that most email services allow receiving 10MB's. In addition, Mail.app asks what size images you want to send, so in theory I could send 20 photos at the small size and not get near even 10MB's. Guess it's just Apple being my iPhone nanny.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I downloaded a separate app for US Holidays and it's showing in my Gmail calendar just fine. Then, I saw the link in this thread to get the Google US holidays calendar. That worked well, too. Too well.

Now I have two holiday listings per holiday. I can't get rid of the first one. I deleted the app, but the listings are still there. I can tell which is which because the purchased app has a little flag next to the day.

Any clue how to eliminate the paid app OR the Google Holiday calendar? I did go into the Gmail calendar settings on my PC and UNchecked the US Holidays. Didn't make a difference.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I downloaded a separate app for US Holidays and it's showing in my Gmail calendar just fine. Then, I saw the link in this thread to get the Google US holidays calendar. That worked well, too. Too well.

Now I have two holiday listings per holiday. I can't get rid of the first one. I deleted the app, but the listings are still there. I can tell which is which because the purchased app has a little flag next to the day.

Any clue how to eliminate the paid app OR the Google Holiday calendar? I did go into the Gmail calendar settings on my PC and UNchecked the US Holidays. Didn't make a difference.

Sounds like the app physically added the holidays to your main calendar. If that's the case then you would need to go in and manually delete each holiday by hand. Have you tried contacting the app's support?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I only just noticed you can highlight words and define them with an inbuilt Dictionary

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
since the twitter app is built in maybe this counts. swipe a tweet in your timeline to see all the options you see when you click on it, but without jumping a page. pretty neat. later.

Gottahaveit77

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Bluetooth audio streaming in your car

Does anyone know if Apple will soon have an update that will include the feature of enabling or disabling audio from Bluetooth? It's seems to trump my dock cable that my car came with.... Can't control it from my touchscreen in my car when it recognizes Bluetooth media....:mad::mad:

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Haven't seen this mentioned anywere (doesn't mean everyone knows or already though).

Ask Siri what time the sunset/sunrise is and she will tell you (works with city names too)

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Anyone know to how get the quick start button for the Camera on the lock screen?
I saw it in a commercial but don't see it on my 4s.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.