Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
If you are being honest with yourself, I bet you saw the supposed design of the iPhone 5 that was leaked today and probably thought to yourself: Is that it after waiting for 2 years for a redesign? Just a taller iPhone 4S? It looks so ugly with the elongated design. They could have atleast made it a little wider to make the proportions look better.

If the leaked design indeed turns out to be the final design, iOS 6 will be the only redeeming factor of the next iPhone. Seriously Apple needs to make some drastic changes to iOS to make it look less stale and more modern. If iOS 6 just turns out to be an incremental update with only minor visual changes, the combination of a fugly iPhone 5 with an outdated OS may not go down well with many current iPhone users who were looking for a more revolutionary product last year and the 4S had already let them down badly.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
What happened to that little boy that loved to dance?

He was eaten alive by the honey badger.

I don't care what the next iPhone looks like but iOS 6 needs to update the stock apps that have barely changed since 2007, clean up Settings, and maybe make some color and placement changes to the UI. It's been five years, we've learned new things about how people use modern mobile devices. Time to make changes Apple.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
An interface update would be nice. But iOS 6 needs to continue to focus on core functionality, ease of use, and delivering developers useable API's.

There hasn't been a ton of real groundbreaking Apps lately, and I'd love for iOS 6 to make available a lot of new API's (Siri anyone) so that a whole new wave of innovation can take place on the App Store.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I love how you guys put up ultimatum like threads....why not submit these comments to apple directly. Email Tim and see what he thinks.

The new design is hot. Like it or not, it actually makes all the current android, windows, and RIM gadgets look like toys. The design material is high end and yes, I will buy 2!

And I find nothing needs to be done with the home screen. The layout is fine, the app icons are great and nothing needs to be changed in that regard. BUT I would like to see more camera specific software features (panoramic, HDR adjustments, white balance control, multi-frame capture, etc). Also would like to see more improvement to the audio playback and video playback - such as improving video quality and audio quality.

Everything else is great. No need to change the UI at all.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
The new design is hot. Like it or not, it actually makes all the current android, windows, and RIM gadgets look like toys. The design material is high end and yes, I will buy 2!
I'd suggest you take a trip to the local AT&T store and take a look at the HTC One X in person. Then come and tell us if the iPhone 4S really looks better than one One X. The One X epitomizes the modern smartphone design and the iPhone design pales in comparison.

And I find nothing needs to be done with the home screen. The layout is fine, the app icons are great and nothing needs to be changed in that regard. BUT I would like to see more camera specific software features (panoramic, HDR adjustments, white balance control, multi-frame capture, etc). Also would like to see more improvement to the audio playback and video playback - such as improving video quality and audio quality.

:rolleyes: Sometimes it pays to have an open mind and see what others are putting out there in terms of UI. iOS is stale and needs a make over. Period. It is ok to call Apple out once in a while. See what happened to RIM when they stayed stagnant and didn't innovate? Why does Apple get a pass?

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
If I had a dollar for every time someone made a thread about iOS 6, I'd have enough money to buy a Mac Pro.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Personally I hope the next iPhone and iteration of iOS flop. Perhaps then the Android trolls will stop posting in MR. :D

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
iOS 4 & 5 were both lacklustre compared to iOS3, so yes, it really does need to be good this time. iOS has so many fundamental flaws that need significant work.

Phazer

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
iOS 4 & 5 were both lacklustre compared to iOS3, so yes, it really does need to be good this time. iOS has so many fundamental flaws that need significant work.

Phazer

iOS doesn't need the redesign everyone is hoping for. It just needs a few tweaks.

Leave the complete redesigns for the competitors.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
iOS doesn't need the redesign everyone is hoping for. It just needs a few tweaks.

Leave the complete redesigns for the competitors.

I don't really see where I advocated a redesign at all.

iOS has much more fundamental issues deep down the stack, although it has some UI clunkers that need fixing in retrospect too (sticking the private browsing control in settings rather than Safari, or it's handling of multiple pop up notifications, or EQ settings, or navigation to wifi etc etc).

Once iOS has it's existing UI sorted out we could maybe think about a new one with it's own issues...

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
He was eaten alive by the honey badger.

I don't care what the next iPhone looks like but iOS 6 needs to update the stock apps that have barely changed since 2007, clean up Settings, and maybe make some color and placement changes to the UI. It's been five years, we've learned new things about how people use modern mobile devices. Time to make changes Apple.

MS Windows kept the start Button layout for YEARS, and Apple still uses the dock of icons in OSX. Why is it that iOS HAS to change it's look after 6 years or else? I'm not saying change is bad, but I don't think the UI is bad nor is a complete refresh a necessity.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Personally I love the iPhone 4/4s design - I wish they stuck to something similar but with the Alu backing instead of the glass. I just don't like this taller iPhone design.
The biggest changes going forward will be software though, after all Smartphones are essentially computing devices so how the software develops is what will change the experience. Add faster processors, better cameras and the like just allow the software to do more.
I for one would love to see various areas of IOS fleshed out more such as Notification widgets etc. I'm not asking for animated wallpapers or full on multitasking but a dual mode for two apps to run concurrently - essentially both in the foreground but with the focus on one would be a great addition imho.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I'd suggest you take a trip to the local AT&T store and take a look at the HTC One X in person. Then come and tell us if the iPhone 4S really looks better than one One X. The One X epitomizes the modern smartphone design and the iPhone design pales in comparison.

:rolleyes: Sometimes it pays to have an open mind and see what others are putting out there in terms of UI. iOS is stale and needs a make over. Period. It is ok to call Apple out once in a while. See what happened to RIM when they stayed stagnant and didn't innovate? Why does Apple get a pass?

I will if you take a trip to get some support for your Android from Verizon or ATT. No Sammy or HTC stores and no updates for your android software. That's what I want.

Go away.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
If you are being honest with yourself

And if you are being a bit more honest with yourself you'll realize that iOS is BY FAR the best mobile OS out there.

The UI paradigm is settled, accepted and loved by huge majority in the world, there really is no need for a revolution and reinvention here, all Apple has to do is fine-tune it, tweak it here and there, add functionality and improve performance.

If you want uncertainty and no consistency with the UI changing with each version you might want to check out Android, Google still cannot figure out how they want things to look.

4S did not let down anybody.

EDIT: And just out of the interest, you want revolutionary changes right?... exactly what do you want changed and how?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

All smart phones look pretty similar, there is only so much you can do and even if you do a full redesign the majoirty of people then go and put cases on the which all look the same anyway. The look of the hardware doesnt matter as much as the functionality. The device is all display and that is controlled by the software, other than improving the speed and the radios there isnt much else to do with the hardware using currently available technology

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Remember, Mac OS X hasn't drastically changed in over 10 years, why should iOS change much? Minor tweaks and fixes and adjustments are fine enough.

whodareswins

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
If you are being honest with yourself, I bet you saw the supposed design of the iPhone 5 that was leaked today and probably thought to yourself: Is that it after waiting for 2 years for a redesign? Just a taller iPhone 4S? It looks so ugly with the elongated design. They could have atleast made it a little wider to make the proportions look better.

If the leaked design indeed turns out to be the final design, iOS 6 will be the only redeeming factor of the next iPhone. Seriously Apple needs to make some drastic changes to iOS to make it look less stale and more modern. If iOS 6 just turns out to be an incremental update with only minor visual changes, the combination of a fugly iPhone 5 with an outdated OS may not go down well with many current iPhone users who were looking for a more revolutionary product last year and the 4S had already let them down badly.

I could not agree with you more. If Apple don't sort themselves out, I will be upgrading to an S3 or similar. iOS is way behind the competition. I am hoping these parts leaks are something apple have engineered into leading us down the wrong path!

----------

I love how you guys put up ultimatum like threads....why not submit these comments to apple directly. Email Tim and see what he thinks.

Apart from it's stale, dated and boring.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I could not agree with you more. If Apple don't sort themselves out, I will be upgrading to an S3 or similar. iOS is way behind the competition. I am hoping these parts leaks are something apple have engineered into leading us down the wrong path!

Maybe the iPhone just isn't the phone for you. They're not going to make it huge...they're not going to overdo it on the swoosh Hollywood interface.

iPhone's are about stability and nice incremental improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.