Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
For me, the 9.7 is the ugly in between form factor. Not the 7.9/Mini.

One device has to fit in my pocket. I've determined the current iPhone 4.7 meets those needs. The Plus is OK but not ideal for me ... I constantly was aware of it in my pocket and the screen size is underutilized in many applications, including Safari.

Then there's the question of a tablet sized device. The 7.9 is powerful enough and more portable than the 9.7 or 10.5. But it displays web pages in a full form factor (all the reading real estate of an iPad). And it actually fits in my jacket pocket and has full LTE support! This is my ideal all rounder device.

The 9.7/10.5 are certainly nice iPad's, but now they have to be carried in a bag, so they are competing with a laptop if I'm going to be carrying my backpack. For pure at-home use in tablet form, I don't get much more out of the traditional iPad form factor than I do the Mini. The normal sized iPad is better at multitasking due to some extra real estate, but it's still a pretty compromised experience, with many apps defaulting to a mobile layout.

The 12.9 is something I like to use at home as it's just more ergonomically comfortable to use lying in bed or sitting on the couch. Contorting my wrist to reach the trackpad at the bottom of the laptop while it's on my lap is probably going to cause some RSI, so I find myself reaching for the iPad more. Frankly, I like the 12.9 more than I thought I would. The multitasking experience is significantly better just due to the extra screen real estate. Most apps will go to a full iPad layout in split view mode on the 12.9. I always use this with the keyboard unfolded.

I agree. The 9.7 and 10.5 sizes don't interest me. When I want to casually read or watch video, there's no better device than a mini. And when I want to be productive or really immerse myself in a video, I wouldn't want anything smaller than my 12.9. For me, the benefit of having two specialized devices greatly outweighs the benefit of having one device of compromise.
But I use the mini almost exclusively at home since I don't really care to consume when I'm out.
[doublepost=1504936449][/doublepost]
Given the "stay at home" role, the portability aspect of an iPad mini has little value.

I use my 12.9 more outside the home than inside because I use it more for productivity and creation which I don't do much of at home. My mini, however, which I use for casual consumption, I do use almost exclusively at home. But I have to disagree about its portability having little value at home. When I relax and consume, I like to do so on a device I can hold with one hand. With anything larger than the mini, I'm not able to do that for extended periods of time.

Owners of 4.7" nor 5.5" iPhones don't have the desire to purchase an iPad mini. The 7.9" display is not significantly larger than their phone

First, the mini is twice as big as the Plus. And that much bigger than the 4.7. I'm not sure how that's insignificant. Second, I've never heard anyone say the 4.7 replaces the mini. 4.7 is closer to 4 than it is to 5.5, so why not include the 4 too? It seems kind of arbitrary to draw the line at the 4.7. But really, would you want to read a book or browse the web or watch a video for an extended period of time on a 4.7? I had a 5.5 for awhile and I barely wanted to on that size.

Reactions: Osty and Asp09

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
The discussion about display size is interesting, but I think ultimately, consumer preference prevails.

For tablet users operating their device at home, I agree 5.5" vs 7.9" represents an appreciable difference in user experience. However, weight is not a concern at home. Why choose mini when 9.7" is available?

For road-mobile users, a 7.9" tablet is nice to have. But it also represents a significant burden to carry a phone and a tablet. When faced with such a decision, the perceived benefits of a 7.9" tablet decrease significantly.

The research data shows an overwhelming number of tablet users are operating their devices at home. The 9.7" tablet becomes the clear winner. On the road, the vast majority of users prefer to carry one device - and that is a phablet. The iPad mini fits the needs of an extremely niche market - it's neither a home device, work device, nor a phone. It's for those who don't mind carrying two devices on the road: one smartphone and one tablet dedicated to media consumption. You have to ask yourself, how many people are willing to do that? It's the equivalent of carrying a Nintendo Switch. The Switch can run games a phone cannot. An iPad mini runs the same apps as an iPhone, just a little bit better.
That’s all fine and I mostly agree with you. My point isn’t that the 7.9 is better or that it should be just as popular as the 9.7/10.5. My point is that it has a very real purpose and niche, even if it isn’t as popular as the other form factors. There is a huge gulf between 5.5” and 9.7” displays and I think it would be very silly for Apple to abandon that completely. People carry books with them and they carry Kindle’s with them. They are all in roughly this form factor. There’s a reason for that and I hope Apple will respect that and not abandon a real market segment of their ecosystem just because it’s not iPhone scale.

Reactions: subjonas and 007p

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
The discussion about display size is interesting, but I think ultimately, consumer preference prevails.

For tablet users operating their device at home, I agree 5.5" vs 7.9" represents an appreciable difference in user experience. However, weight is not a concern at home. Why choose mini when 9.7" is available?

Because for me it's the better size. I have small hands, a small lap to place my iPad on. Since I bought my first iPad mini, previously I had the full size iPad, every version since the first, I have never used anything other than the iPad mini.

Reactions: Stealthdiggers

sorcery

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Ring of Fire
...For road-mobile users, a 7.9" tablet is nice to have. But it also represents a significant burden to carry a phone and a tablet. When faced with such a decision, the perceived benefits of a 7.9" tablet decrease significantly...
I solved that problem by ditching the cellphone.
I use the Mini as a reader and messaging device, on the road, as it fits jacket or cargo pant pocket.
Air 2, soon to be replaced by 12.9, stays home.
If there is no no mini refresh, I shall, with great unhappiness, switch to a 7.9 Android, in due course.
I remain amazed that smartphones sell at all, at price points in excess of $500.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I solved that problem by ditching the cellphone.
I use the Mini as a reader and messaging device, on the road, as it fits jacket or cargo pant pocket.
Air 2, soon to be replaced by 12.9, stays home.
If there is no no mini refresh, I shall, with great unhappiness, switch to a 7.9 Android, in due course.
I remain amazed that smartphones sell at all, at price points in excess of $500.
I regret that I have only one thumbs up to give to this post.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I do have a cell phone. It is an 8? year old LG flip phone which works great on the Verizon network. It is significantly smaller and lighter than any iPhone ever made and only needs to be recharged every two months. Don't need to use it often, so the total cost is about $5 per month on a prepaid plan. I have a GoogleVoice number with it so that all incoming calls get sent to me on email (both audio recording and printed transcription). For outgoing calls I normally use GoogleVoice on either my iPad Mini or iPod Touch.

I do sometimes think about getting an iPhone, but so far have resisted. It would be a smaller option to use when traveling vs. the iPad Mini. But I don't travel often and love the Mini. If Apple ever stops making the Mini then I might be more tempted.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Anyone else here think the mini would be perfect for AR gaming? Big screen plus lightweight enough to hold for long periods. :)

Reactions: subjonas

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
But it was never likely to be released at the phone/watch event... so no surprises..

It's not been removed from the store - so I guess that's a win lol?

No mention of homepod either...or macs. Chance of another event this year?

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
Very disappointed that a mini 5 wasn't announced, still holding out hope that they will announce one before the holiday season. If Apple drops the mini line up and once my mini 4 is no longer functioning properly, then I'll have to find another provider. Android maybe? Also, the iPhone was very underwhelming this year. I usually upgrade every 2 years, but think I'm going to skip this year. The 8 doesn't look much different than the 7 and the 10 doesn't seem to offer much either. Plus with phones reaching over $1,000, I'm rethinking my phone buying habits. I love my mini and only use my phone for listening to music and texting which I can also do on the mini. I hate talking on the phone and with the mini, I see no more purpose of spending so much on a bigger phone. Maybe I'll switch to a SE. I'm rambling now.

I am excited about the new apple watch with Cellular. Sucks that I just purchased the series 2 a few months ago.

Reactions: sorcery and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Very disappointed that a mini 5 wasn't announced, still holding out hope that they will announce one before the holiday season. If Apple drops the mini line up and once my mini 4 is no longer functioning properly, then I'll have to find another provider. Android maybe? Also, the iPhone was very underwhelming this year. I usually upgrade every 2 years, but think I'm going to skip this year. The 8 doesn't look much different than the 7 and the 10 doesn't seem to offer much either. Plus with phones reaching over $1,000, I'm rethinking my phone buying habits. I love my mini and only use my phone for listening to music and texting which I can also do on the mini. I hate talking on the phone and with the mini, I see no more purpose of spending so much on a bigger phone. Maybe I'll switch to a SE. I'm rambling now.

I am excited about the new apple watch with Cellular. Sucks that I just purchased the series 2 a few months ago.
IMO, the SE is the best iPhone value out there.... it can be purchased for as low as $150 new... that's the actual price... no contract, no payments.

lbdesign

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I just wish Apple read these forums. I'm already mourning the loss of the Mini line, while using my Mini 4 daily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.