Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fraXis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
There is an issue with the new iPhone 12's possibly caused by the iPhone 12, or iOS 14.1, or a combo of both. Not 100% sure yet.

I first read about this issue when Paul Thurrot gave his thoughts on his new iPhone 12:

He writes:

Missing texts
Speaking of texts, I noticed during a group chat with our neighbors this week that I’m missing text messages randomly: You can tell from the context of some messages (“Laughed at [some message I never got]” and so on. Since my wife is on these conversations, I asked to look at her phone and saw that I had actually missed most messages, including several replies to messages I had sent. This is a huge problem. And given that I have two kids, it’s a potential safety issue. I’m still looking into this.

I thought that since he is always switching from Android to iMessage, this was his problem.

But I just upgraded to an iPhone 12 (coming from an iPhone 11 Max Pro), and I am in a group message with my kids. One of my kids is an Android user. Last night he came up to me and asked me why I didn't reply to his two text messages he sent to the group. I checked my iPhone, and I didn't receive any text messages from him in the group chat. He then showed me his phone, and sure enough, he had sent them to the group.

Something is wrong regarding iPhone 12 and/or iOS 14.1 users not receiving SMS texts when they are part of a group chat with a mix of iMessage and Android users.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

NNowak19

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
There is an issue with the new iPhone 12's possibly caused by the iPhone 12, or iOS 14.1, or a combo of both. Not 100% sure yet.

I first read about this issue when Paul Thurrot gave his thoughts on his new iPhone 12:

He writes:

I thought that since he is always switching from Android to iMessage, this was his problem.

But I just upgraded to an iPhone 12 (coming from an iPhone 11 Max Pro), and I am in a group message with my kids. One of my kids is an Android user. Last night he came up to me and asked me why I didn't reply to his two text messages he sent to the group. I checked my iPhone, and I didn't receive any text messages from him in the group chat. He then showed me his phone, and sure enough, he had sent them to the group.

Something is wrong regarding iPhone 12 and/or iOS 14.1 users not receiving SMS texts when they are part of a group chat with a mix of iMessage and Android users.

I’m having this issue as well. iPhone 12 Pro. I came from 11 Pro Max. Missing group messages w Android users in it. Not sure what to do...

Reactions: gank41 and fraXis

fraXis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I’m having this issue as well. iPhone 12 Pro. I came from 11 Pro Max. Missing group messages w Android users in it. Not sure what to do...

I don't know what to do either. I looked around before I posted this and I couldn't find anyone else talking about this problem. I don't think a lot of people have noticed it's an issue yet.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't know what to do either. I looked around before I posted this and I couldn't find anyone else talking about this problem. I don't think a lot of people have noticed it's an issue yet.
It sounds like something that is being discussed in the following thread:

fraXis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007

I left Apple feedback about this problem.

Not sure if that helps, but we need to try to get this fixed.

yoyo58

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2020
iPhone 11 Pro - group text that includes iPhone and Android users Not Delivered. I can send to iPhone users or Android users, but not when there are both in the same group. I think the problem arose after the update to 14.1. Working with carrier (Visible) to resolve. First level tech support couldn't fix it so it's been "escalated." I suspect it's a 14.1 issue, but of course I'm not sure. I reported in the link provided by fraXis, but 14.1 wasn't even listed as a selection in the drop down field.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Same here. Happened to me for the first time. Group conversation and some of the messages being sent to me got through while others did not. The conversation made no sense after awhile as not all of them came through. One person sent multiple texts in the conversation, and only half made it through. Ended up deleting all my texts as some where a continuation from group conversation on my 11 Pro. After deleting every text, and a network reset, I am now getting all texts. How long that will last, I dont know. All the others in the group text have android phones.

Reactions: NNowak19

AlfT

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Same problem here. IPhone 12 on 14.2 "Release Candidate." In a group thread with iPhones and Android devices not all texts or photos appear on my phone. They do appear on my husband's iPhone XR however. The missing posts never reach me, not even later. Interested if Packer's network reset continues to work.

TheElmnt

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020

He writes:

I’m having the exact same problem. It seems I’m having issues in group threads only when it has android users. I’ve been so confused in our messages the last few days. None of our conversations make sense. My friends and I just tested with iMessage and it doesn’t seem to have any problems with just Apple users. I reported the bug to Apple. I just noticed this after upgrading to an iPhone 12 Pro from iPhone XS. Running iOS 14.1 on Verizon. I deleted every single text message on my phone and rebooted, turned iMessage off and back on. Hoping this helps.

Last edited:

Tuffguy721

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
i never had this issue on 7 plus running 14.1 and now ever since i upgraded to the 12 pro i am having this issue. Verizon has been no help so far. I did a couple network resets and deleted my android message group thread but it seems like that only works for a short period and then the issue comes back.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Same issue with my 12pro. Missing texts in group chats with sms/mms. I also have the issue with “no service” as well. Great phone, hasn’t been a good experience.
For us Verizon users, there is a small work around for now. Use the Verizon message+ app. It’s Verizon’s data based (can be used with only WiFi like iMessage) texting app that links with their sms service. It’s annoying to get 2 notifications for sms texts, but it’s made it so I don’t miss any in my group chats.

xxbs

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Same issue. 12 pro upgrade over the weekend running 14.1. No SMS coming through at all. Including two factor login codes.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Same here. Happened to me for the first time. Group conversation and some of the messages being sent to me got through while others did not. The conversation made no sense after awhile as not all of them came through. One person sent multiple texts in the conversation, and only half made it through. Ended up deleting all my texts as some where a continuation from group conversation on my 11 Pro. After deleting every text, and a network reset, I am now getting all texts. How long that will last, I dont know. All the others in the group text have android phones.
So far no issues after doing what I did above. I forgot to mention I also deleted all the conversations off my iMac too.

fstegner

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
Struggling to send any sms texts since upgrading XS Max to 14.1. Group and single

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
I'm having a problem on my iPad Pro 10.5. Started on Sunday. New messages are not showing up on the iPad, but they are on my Series 5 Watch, all three of my Macs and my iPhone. I can send messages from my iPad and they show up on my other devices, but the replies do not come back on my iPad. Also, if I try to send an SMS from my iPad, it will send, but it will show the green bar like it is trying to send and then say failed, even though the recipient gets the message.

I have an XR by the way and all iOS devices are on 14.1.

Reactions: 28Gauge

lukewarm74

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2013
I wasn't receiving probably around 50% of incoming group texts with Android users. I changed my cellular mode from 5G Auto to LTE and the issue was instantly resolved.

Reactions: gank41

joemcp22

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
I have verizon, iPhone 12 pro, iOS 14.1. Same issue. After much back-and-forth with Verizon and Apple, I found an article from Apple suggesting that I temporarily turn off iMessage and MMS, wait a few seconds, and then turn them back on in settings. I did that and it seems to have fixed the issue, at least for the last 12 hours.

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
This is getting really annoying, I'm missing group messages as well when there is at least one android phone involved. They are able to read mine but I can't see what they wrote. On T-Mobile BTW. Also updated to 14.2 today, and still not getting all my group messages.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.