Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
This is getting really annoying, I'm missing group messages as well when there is at least one android phone involved. They are able to read mine but I can't see what they wrote. On T-Mobile BTW. Also updated to 14.2 today, and still not getting all my group messages.
Just a thought, delete all your text messages, and then have those who are in a group text with you, delete all the texts on their phone that you are included in. It's a pain, but you may need to start fresh with everyone.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I am having the issue with just a single person and it’s not SMS. Mine is iMessage. I was texting with my mom last night, and she updated to 14.2 on her XR in the process. Soon after, she stopped replying to my text. I sent her another one, and she said she never saw the text. Then I stopped receiving any alerts at all. I had to open the message app and check to see if a message was there. Sure enough the phone never alerted, and there was no badge, but there was a message. iOS 14 is a total mess.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Last night, I was with a group of friends, all with android phones, and we decided to send group messages to see how long it would take before my iphone 12 pro would fail. The first several messages from the group alerted on my phone. Then all of a sudden, I was getting no message alerts. Everyone else was getting the messages. I waited a few minutes, still nothing. Then I opened the message app, went to the group conversation, and within seconds, all those messages came in rapid fire and appeared on my phone. So I dont believe its the carrier, but the iphone itself. When in sleep mode, sometimes messages dont alert, and if they do come through at all, they appear in rapid fire after opening the message app. Thats an ios issue. This is all on Apple.

Trader05

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Hey everyone, I hope this helps:

I struggled with this type issue for awhile and spent countless hours on the phone with AT&T and Apple. There are plenty of threads online about this issue with no solutions. I noticed this back in the day when I received my launch 7 Plus, I would get group texts or picture texts (MMS, not iMessage) and then randomly I would just stop receiving it. Sometimes rebooting the phone or switching from LTE to 4G/3G would pull in the messages I didn't receive but not always. I had to turn off MMS, reboot, enable and reboot again to temporarily get it working again (all undelivered texts would be lost). AT&T swapped my sim, changed my plan temporarily and back, escalated the issue and found nothing wrong...blamed the software on the phone. Apple had me reset network settings, then reset and restore from iCloud since I always used iTunes backup/restore and I had the same issue. Apple had a senior manager communicate with me and I sent logs to the software engineers, in the end they blamed the network. It was basically AT&T and Apple pointing the finger at each other. My last straw was missing family Halloween pictures and event texts. At the time, since i was troubleshooting for about 2 months with Apple, I was over the return period and they did not let me return the phone :/..I sold it at a loss and switched to Android for a few years because I didn't have any messaging issues..hello Pixel!

Last year when I received my 11 Pro I would randomly have this issue, at least once a month then it started happening more often. I went through the same troubleshooting steps, AT&T swapped my sim, escalated to a network engineer and they found no network issues. Apple suggested resetting the network settings, reset settings and then eventually the dreaded RESET THE PHONE AND START AS NEW. I really didnt want to do that because the main feature I liked was backing up/restoring from an iTunes encrypted backup and get your iphone back up and running within minutes without the need for entering passwords. Well it kept happening and I eventually sucked it up and reset as new. It took a few days to get everything back in order and I'm 4 months without any text problems.

TLDR: If you set up your 12 from a backup, reset your phone and start as new.
Tip: Screenshot your home screens and email them to yourself before resetting ;)

My educated guess of the issue that Apple won't find/fix: I think backups pull firmware or settings from the previous modem chipsets and do not clear with the new phone. I noticed my issue with the switch to Intel modems (7 series on AT&T and Tmobile versions). I had iPhone 5, 6 Plus, 6S Plus and SE 1st gen without any network/text issues from backups. Now they switched from Intel (iPhones 7 through 11) to Qualcomm for the 5G modems.

Last edited:
Reactions: lelisa13p

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Those that are on Verizon, download and install the messages+ App. I have done that. If you get all the texts through the messages+ app, and only some through the native message app, that will prove its an ios issue on not a carrier issue.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Hey everyone, I hope this helps:

I struggled with this issue for awhile and spent countless hours on the phone with AT&T and Apple. There are plenty of threads online about this issue with no solutions. I noticed this back in the day when I received my launch 7 Plus, I would get group texts or picture texts (MMS, not iMessage) and then randomly I would just stop receiving it. Sometimes rebooting the phone or switching from LTE to 4G/3G would pull in the messages I didn't receive but not always. I had to turn off MMS, reboot, enable and reboot again to temporarily get it working again (all undelivered texts would be lost). AT&T swapped my sim, changed my plan temporarily and back, escalated the issue and found nothing wrong...blamed the software on the phone. Apple had me reset network settings, then reset and restore from iCloud since I always used iTunes backup/restore and I had the same issue. Apple had a senior manager communicate with me and I sent logs to the software engineers, in the end they blamed the network. It was basically AT&T and Apple pointing the finger at each other. My last straw was missing family Halloween pictures and event texts. At the time, since i was troubleshooting for about 2 months with Apple, I was over the return period and they did not let me return the phone :/..I sold it at a loss and switched to Android for a few years because I didn't have any messaging issues..hello Pixel!

Last year when I received my 11 Pro I would randomly have this issue, at least once a month then it started happening more often. I went through the same troubleshooting steps, AT&T swapped my sim, escalated to a network engineer and they found no network issues. Apple suggested resetting the network settings, reset settings and then eventually the dreaded RESET THE PHONE AND START AS NEW. I really didnt want to do that because the main feature I liked was backing up/restoring from an iTunes encrypted backup and get your iphone back up and running within minutes without the need for entering passwords. Well it kept happening and I eventually sucked it up and reset as new. It took a few days to get everything back in order and I'm 4 months without any text problems.

TLDR: If you set up your 12 from a backup, reset your phone and start as new.
Tip: Screenshot your home screens and email them to yourself before resetting ;)

My educated guess of the issue that Apple won't find/fix: I think backups pull firmware or settings from the previous modem chipsets and do not clear with the new phone. I noticed my issue with the switch to Intel modems (7 series on AT&T and Tmobile versions). I had iPhone 5, 6 Plus, 6S Plus and SE 1st gen without any network/text issues from backups. Now they switched from Intel (iPhones 7 through 11) to Qualcomm for the 5G modems.
That doesnt seem to work either.
https://www.imore.com/some-iphone-12-owners-are-missing-text-messages-group-chats

bkmacy

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2014
This is getting really annoying, I'm missing group messages as well when there is at least one android phone involved. They are able to read mine but I can't see what they wrote. On T-Mobile BTW. Also updated to 14.2 today, and still not getting all my group messages.
Yes, this is annoying. It seemed to start for me right after upgrading to a new iPhone Pro although I have a friend with an Android device experiencing the same problems about the same time with group texts. It’s not clear if those groups include other recently upgraded iPhones or not. I’m still looking for a solution.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
While I’m thankful I’ve found that others are having this issue, I’m not finding anything either to fix this.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
FWIW, I added the Verizon Message+ app to my 12 Pro to see if I would miss any texts like I have with the native ios message app, and I am not missing any texts, in either app now. For some reason, adding that app may have fixed the issue. I have had no missed texts all weekend. I have them both set to alert, and they have both alerted everytime with new texts, with the native app getting them a few seconds faster. I will turn notifications off on the verizon app and keep and eye on it this week. What I did after downloading the verizon app, was to delete all the texts in that app, because even though you delete the texts in the ios version, they remain in the Verizon database for months. I had thousands of texts in the verizon app after I downloaded the app, and set it up. I them proceeded to delete the texts which is easy to do by selecting all and deleting. Perhaps just the simple task of deleting all my texts in the verizon database via their app, fixed the issue.

• Sad
Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Trying to rule some stuff out, too..

I can take my SIM card out of my iPhone 12 Pro and put it back into my iPhone 11 Pro Max and receive texts from one friend on an Android Pixel 3 no problem. Put it back in my iPhone 12 Pro and then the texts from same person don’t come thru in that same group convo.

Doing this should then cause iMessage to reconcile my messages across to my iPad Pro and to my MBP. It does not.

People seem to have this issue regardless of carrier, but all seem to have the issue on the iPhone 12 or 12 Pro.

Some reported setting up as new corrected their issue. I set my iPhone 12 Pro up as new out of the box (same cell number upgraded from 11 Pro Max). In theory, then, I shouldn’t have had this issue at all...

Hopefully everyone submits feedback to Apple about this. Carriers, too, but I’ve always had more luck working with Apple. Maybe we’ll see a 14.2.1 soon.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
FWIW, I added the Verizon Message+ app to my 12 Pro to see if I would miss any texts like I have with the native ios message app, and I am not missing any texts, in either app now. For some reason, adding that app may have fixed the issue. I have had no missed texts all weekend. I have them both set to alert, and they have both alerted everytime with new texts, with the native app getting them a few seconds faster. I will turn notifications off on the verizon app and keep and eye on it this week. What I did after downloading the verizon app, was to delete all the texts in that app, because even though you delete the texts in the ios version, they remain in the Verizon database for months. I had thousands of texts in the verizon app after I downloaded the app, and set it up. I them proceeded to delete the texts which is easy to do by selecting all and deleting. Perhaps just the simple task of deleting all my texts in the verizon database via their app, fixed the issue.
It’s good to know that helped. Hopefully they can take your issue and apply a broader fix so folks won’t have to delete all of their history. Mine goes back to 2016 and I really would like to keep it that way... Plus I’m on AT&T.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
It’s good to know that helped. Hopefully they can take your issue and apply a broader fix so folks won’t have to delete all of their history. Mine goes back to 2016 and I really would like to keep it that way... Plus I’m on AT&T.
Doing it via the app, only deletes the messages in Verizon's database, not off your phone. So those will remain.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Doing it via the app, only deletes the messages in Verizon's database, not off your phone. So those will remain.
My issue is with AT&T and they don’t have a corresponding app like Verizon does. And still, there should be a more available fix implemented for everyone.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
My issue is with AT&T and they don’t have a corresponding app like Verizon does. And still, there should be a more available fix implemented for everyone.
I agree. I'm just wondering if they created a new server for those with 5G iPhones from those who don't have a new model. Perhaps with the 5G sim card, some of the messages are not making it into the new server at times, but still going into their older servers instead. Deleting everything like I did, may have removed all my texts off the previous server, and now all going into the new server. That's just a pure guess, otherwise, I have no clue.

bkmacy

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2014
Yes, this is annoying. It seemed to start for me right after upgrading to a new iPhone Pro although I have a friend with an Android device experiencing the same problems about the same time with group texts. It’s not clear if those groups include other recently upgraded iPhones or not. I’m still looking for a solution.
Ok, I found a resolution working with Apple tier 3 support. All of those in my group message reset our network settings, problem resolved! Go to General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. After I reset mine the situation improved but wasn’t until all of us reset network settings that issue was fully resolved.

Those who are speculating about backend configuration network changes to support 5G or ios14 or both are onto something.

Reactions: Trader05 and katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Ok, I found a resolution working with Apple tier 3 support. All of those in my group message reset our network settings, problem resolved! Go to General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. After I reset mine the situation improved but wasn’t until all of us reset network settings that issue was fully resolved.

Those who are speculating about backend configuration network changes to support 5G or ios14 or both are onto something.
I had the same issue with older iPhone 8Plus iOS 14.1, noticing that some texts were getting to computer but not to iPhone or viceversa , very randomly and to iPad as well. Then it solved by itself .
I'm in Canada and I believe the issue was on Apple side more than on anyone else.
The network resetting could be a very good solution that I will keep in mind in case it happens again.
No problems on iPhone 12 Pro but I got it when the issue was already gone .
Keeping everything under tight control though

Reactions: Trader05

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota

I did that multiple times. It doesn't work. I'm also the only one with an Apple phone. All the others in the group text have Android phones. The only solution that worked for me is what I posted above. Post #35.

Rokk

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
I had the problem where I wasn't receiving any texts from Android users... None of these solutions worked for me. The problem was I had a digital eSIM. Verizon had the wrong Digital SIM IMEI number in the system. Once the rep updated that, I started receiving texts.

TheElmnt

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
I tried using messages+ but every time I try to scan the QR code it says it’s invalid or expired. Anyone else have this issue?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I tried using messages+ but every time I try to scan the QR code it says it’s invalid or expired. Anyone else have this issue?
I was able to sign up the first time. It sends you a text and you open the link on you phone and it worked. You have to manually fill in your phone number as it doesn't just use your phone number by default. If you have an ipad, you can also use that app too and set it up on the ipad. Once you set it up, it will show you all your past text messages over the last several months. You can delete them from the Verizon database via the ipad too, and then you will start fresh through the verizon servers. You can then delete that app off your ipad if you want.

Brownbear324

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
There is an issue with the new iPhone 12's possibly caused by the iPhone 12, or iOS 14.1, or a combo of both. Not 100% sure yet.

I first read about this issue when Paul Thurrot gave his thoughts on his new iPhone 12:

He writes:

I thought that since he is always switching from Android to iMessage, this was his problem.

But I just upgraded to an iPhone 12 (coming from an iPhone 11 Max Pro), and I am in a group message with my kids. One of my kids is an Android user. Last night he came up to me and asked me why I didn't reply to his two text messages he sent to the group. I checked my iPhone, and I didn't receive any text messages from him in the group chat. He then showed me his phone, and sure enough, he had sent them to the group.

Something is wrong regarding iPhone 12 and/or iOS 14.1 users not receiving SMS texts when they are part of a group chat with a mix of iMessage and Android users.

Anyone else experienced this problem?
Yes, I’ve been having the same issue since last Thurs (11/5/2020). I received my iPhone 12 Pro since last Sat (10/31). I sent a group chat to friends to get together and thought two of them were ghosting me since 3 out of 5 responded. Once we got together, we discussed what’s up with the other guys since they didn’t respond and he told me “Yes, he did. Remember? He said he’s trying to social distance but will catch up with us later.” I was shocked then he showed me the group chat with his response. I never received his response. My friends are on iPhones prior to the 12.

I’ve read on iMore.com that some are claiming there’s an issue with the carrier. Doubtful! Why would I receive all other texts and not one person in a group chat? Plus, the person who’s response did not come through on the group chat texted me earlier in the day outside of the group chat. There’s clearly something wrong with the group chat function. Apple needs to fix this ASAP!

Thommy Boy

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.2. I can now send/receive messages from android Verizon users on native app. Can call android users but can’t receive calls from them.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
My issue is strange in that I'm actually getting the messages, but I've had random issues where I just don't get the notification. The only way I find out I had it is going back to the text thread and I see that they responded. I might just try a good ole factory reset and start out as new. I've been restoring from backups for a while so like another user pointed out, maybe starting as new will fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.