Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
I’m just struggling with the claim of $1500. Who is convincing anyone to get the highest storage plus model?

Reactions: russell_314

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2015
I could’ve used an extra phone today! The refrigerator customer support asked me to put my phone inside the fridge and make a movie and close the fridge door, to see if the light went off inside. (This would be a diagnostic of a door that doesn’t close all the way). Anyway, I didn’t have an extra phone, so I was forced to use my iPad Air to make this Hollywood movie. Title: “fade to black“. And it isn’t even Hollywood 🍸😹

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I’m just struggling with the claim of $1500. Who is convincing anyone to get the highest storage plus model?
I think I spent a little over $300 after trade in for my 13 PM counting I needed a new case and screen protector. People often forget to add that to the cost. Either way it's not $1500. That's just silly.

BallDribbler

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2022
It seems to me. She’s merely suggesting things. Not sure how other folks got the impressions of her bashing for the others who are getting the profound satisfaction from upgrading their phones every year. Overall her reminder was neutral and friendly and it sounded like genuine. Have we all gone bananas ? and for the folks who had to bring up your fortunate bank account situation, does it really necessary ? Does this make your feel superior than others ? Wheels are always turning folks. Having little bit of modesty that will help you go on miles with the humanity

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
9B990F44-8CFA-44A8-AA73-D6DF915341F3.jpeg

Look even Apple agrees with Ol Jane 🤣🤣🤣

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Imagine the gall of releasing a new phone every year to keep up with technolgy and stay competitive. Samsung hasn’t released a new phone in something like 10 years and they are still doing fine. Oh wait that doesn’t sound right

I’m still using my rotary mobile phone that sits in the trunk. NOT lakshemash (thanks Borat)

• Haha
Reactions: russell_314

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
Good for you. Here's the checklist that I use:

1. Do I want it? Yes
2. Can I afford it? Yes
3. Do I feel any need whatsoever to justify it to myself or anyone else? No
3. Do I care what anyone on the internet thinks? No

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I think I may pick up a 13. I don't need any of the features of the 14, regardless of how awesome they are. I have an iPhone 12, which I got relatively cheap, but it's the base storage and the 64GB is a bit annoying to manage. More so than I thought it would be because I take a lot of photos and always only seem to have about 5 or 6GB free. I was even thinking of just getting another 12 with more storage, but the price difference to go up to a 13 isn't that much. After selling my 12, it will probably cost me a few hundred US$ to upgrade to the 13. I might also get a 13 mini for my spouse to replace her two year old 12 mini.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Just to spite the OP, I will automatically upgrade to the iPhone 14 from the 13, regardless of what it looks like. Glad I can blame it on them now. 😜

Also, upgrading devices usually allows people who want cheaper old ones to get them.
I'd like to return this jacket.

May I ask why?

For spite.

You're returning the jacket for spite?

Yes, I am.

I'm sorry sir, but you can't return the jacket for spite.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Every time new iPhones are released JaneAuburn posts anti-purchase sentiments. Assuming each year more and more people follow along, spreads the “abstain from upgrade” sentiment, eventually critical mass of abstinence could be achieved.

When all of us stop buying iPhones, that just leaves Chinese manufacturers and Samsung and a handful of upstarts. And an all Android world. o_O

I just know Mark Zuckerberg is involved in this somehow! We know he’s got a beef with Apple now.

Has anyone ever seen Jane and Mark in the same room together? 🤯

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
I've stayed away from Pro versions since my 5SE. Currently on a 13 mini. Figured I'd try the regular 14 pro unless it's much heavier than the regular 14

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I could’ve used an extra phone today! The refrigerator customer support asked me to put my phone inside the fridge and make a movie and close the fridge door, to see if the light went off inside. (This would be a diagnostic of a door that doesn’t close all the way). Anyway, I didn’t have an extra phone, so I was forced to use my iPad Air to make this Hollywood movie. Title: “fade to black“. And it isn’t even Hollywood 🍸😹
This can be your soundtrack:

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Every time new iPhones are released JaneAuburn posts anti-purchase sentiments. Assuming each year more and more people follow along, spreads the “abstain from upgrade” sentiment, eventually critical mass of abstinence could be achieved.

When all of us stop buying iPhones, that just leaves Chinese manufacturers and Samsung and a handful of upstarts. And an all Android world. o_O

I just know Mark Zuckerberg is involved in this somehow! We know he’s got a beef with Apple now.

Has anyone ever seen Jane and Mark in the same room together? 🤯
WOW! I had no idea! THANKS for posting this!

• Haha
Reactions: 5105973

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
It’s all what you value.

82% of US households spend the majority of an average $116 a month toward cable tv + internet bill.

This is 1980s-style, plain old cable TV, with its obnoxious commercials and mind numbing content.

Meanwhile you can have the newest iPhone Pro with 512gb for $63 a month using iPhone upgrade program.

I’m all for calling out having the newest thing as a luxury, but I am curious what spending these folks have that is less explainable than the latest and greatest iPhone.

Reactions: teh_hunterer

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth

Food for thought...

I replaced my 8 Plus with the iPhone 11. I do nothing with the 11 that I couldn’t do on the 8 Plus…except an extra year of software updates. I applaud your choice.

TVreporter

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
As someone who also replaced the battery to an 8-plus this year (mainly to get through the summer), the one thing it can’t do is take a better photo. I have never really enjoyed its camera and at times felt my 5s produced better results.

Can’t wait for an upgrade - undecided if I want to spend extra for the 14 Pro.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
WOW! I had no idea! THANKS for posting this!
Lol well like salmon swimming upstream to spawn, or the autumnal migration of the monarch butterflies, JA’s anti upgrade posts do appear with a reliability you can count on. But of course I’m joking about the conspiracy theory part of it. “Jane” is a regular here who posts plenty of other things and is consistently anti consumer culture. Which isn’t something I’m actually against.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I wholeheartedly agree. No need to get the newest devices.

Plus, they contribute to pollution and only encourage more of a divide between social classes.

This coming keynote watch them try to sell us on its being the best when really it isn’t.
Encourage more of a divide between social classes? I always thought the smartphone was a bit of an equaliser. The 13 Pro Max might be somewhat expensive, but not even a billionaire can get a better phone than me. Everyone is running the same apps. A billionaire can't get better apps than what we have.

Each newer, better, sturdier phone that Apple releases lasts longer and thus can be handed down or obtained second hand and have a longer useful life. This of course applies to the whole smartphone market, not just Apple.

Then you have the fact that newer, more expensive tech eventually trickles down to the cheaper devices.

The continual improvement of technology for the entire tech industry wouldn't happen without it being profit driven. We never would have arrived at how good the current iPhone is without releasing new models each year. The notion of "stop, it's good enough now" kinda ignores the reality of how these things get made in the first place.

JordanKowi

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2016
I had the battery replaced in my 11 pro max at the beginning of the year. Has amazing battery life, beautiful screen, amazing cameras. Until that prototype of an iPhone 4 style comes out (if it ever does) and I can have an iPhone 4 with a larger screen I have no reason to update. 😂

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I’ve been here using this approach since I bought my iPhone X back in March 2018. If I were to upgrade or trade in every year to do the same thing just to have feeling of I have the latest iPhone I would have spent upwards of 4,000 to 6,000 dollars.

But impulse buying a smartphone is not something the average user does and I see it among many users on public transportation. There is mixture of old and new iPhones in use. I see 6s and the latest Pro Maxes.

I honestly believe whoever upgrades regularly is a niche and or Youtuber.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

Food for thought...

Lol. And the posts begin about justifying why they aren’t getting the newest phone when they really want it. Anything to make yourself feel better. Lol.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021

It has been almost a year since I upgraded from the 11 to the 13 Pro Max, and it honestly still feels new to me. I'm still surprised by how good the battery life is, I still really enjoy using it, and the novelty of it really hasn't worn off. It is one of those purchases that I've never regretted, and never lost its lustre - rather than an impulse buy that temporarily raised happiness before it falling back to baseline. A good product is a good product.

Your phone is always making you poorer. Each year you hold on to your iPhone, its resale value drops further. The iPhone in particular is kinda unique in that it has a linear depreciation curve. For the 3 years after you buy it, it loses $200-300 value each year. So the answer isn't as simple as just holding on to it until it falls apart.

Even if you don't sell it - it's not like the thing just disappears after you upgrade. I gave my iPhone 11 to my mother, which was a much needed upgrade for her and it certainly didn't make her poorer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.