Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68030
Sep 29, 2008
I'll answer the questions.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? Yes.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Maybe but maybe not. I bought an iPhone 12 for $400 on a promotion. That iPhone 12 got me an iPhone 13 Pro for $150 after tax. I went from an iPhone 7 to an Xr to a 12 to a 13 Pro for about $1000 total, using various promotions. For the cost of one higher end iPhone, I've had 4 phones. I've never had to replace the batteries or deal with out of warranty issues.

Will I get an iPhone 14? Probably not, unless there is a promo that makes going from my 13 Pro to a similar iteration of the 14 for $100 or less.

The main reason I upgrade is the camera quality. I don't have a separate camera so I like having the highest quality camera possible in an iPhone to make records of the lives of my family.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I think most people, all my family included, except for me, only upgrade when their phone breaks. My niece upgraded from the XS last year to 13 pro max. Her next upgrade will be when the 13 pro max no longer works.

Reactions: zakarhino

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
I'm going to "just say no" to this thread.

Rradcircless

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I’m going to try to hold out for the iPhone 15 Pro Max next year and get that periscope camera. Right now, I don’t need a new phone and can’t afford it.

Reactions: Brooke795

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
Not giving away my position, but my career allows me the freedom to make enough to purchase this iPhone with 11.5 hours of work. So im getting a new iPhone even if I don't need a new one - thanks for your recommendation, but I threw it into the bin along with this old iPhone 13 Pro.

c47v3770

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
Have a 12 Pro on prepaid service. I hope I can sell it for a decent amount so I can buy a 14. Main reason I want to upgrade is the battery life and modem. We all know the battery life of the 12 is subpar. Especially on 5G.

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
Have a 12 Pro on prepaid service. I hope I can sell it for a decent amount so I can buy a 14. Main reason I want to upgrade is the battery life and modem. We all know the battery life of the 12 is subpar. Especially on 5G.
Mine isn’t bad actually. But I know all of them vary! I help a lot of people in my store and I get mixed reviews on the 12 battery. But knock on wood mines been great

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
You are most certainly not a photographer, not a “digital creative”, or an academic/professional creating text or numbers for work -No professional is out there replacing his laptop or desktop with an iPhone.

Some TikTok'ers and SoMe influencers might be making a living off their iPhones. But they are exceptions and you are not.

Neither your iPhone Pro or iPad Pro are computers, Apple has deliberately designed those devices and limited their software and I/O to make sure you still need a Mac/PC.

Wow. What is the source of such arrogance towards two subjects (the poster’s life and computers) that you obviously know *very* little about ?

jaster2

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
My #1 is whether the camera system is a noticeable improvement. Jumping from a 7s to an 11pro was significant. I've watched the 12 and 13 come along and the changes were minor so I passed. Looks like the 14 will be similar. I really thought I'd only have the 11pro a year because the 12 would have 5G but the slow rollout and ok LTE speeds have made that moot for me.

rocketpig

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2006
I have a 12 Pro Max and will be upgrading to the 14 Pro Max… but ONLY because my wife’s firm gives us a nice monthly reimbursement for phones, which requires both of us to have new phones to max out.

Phone tech is pretty boring nowadays, mostly across the board with all companies. If I wasn’t essentially being given a new top-end phone every two years, I wouldn’t upgrade my current phone.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
There are lots of different views and perspectives with this scenario and to each our own, but really think about this. Yes, getting new tech is cool and feels good for a little while. But honestly, in many cases it's just not needed. I came across a great video the other day talking about planned obsolescence, marketing and techniques companies use on us.

Opened my eyes a little, give it a look.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
said I wouldn't but now looking at resale prices at the mo...

just "try" and say no
I sold my iPhone 13 Pro Max yesterday. It was the 256gb model. Bought it for 1199$ last year. Sold it for 900$. Getting the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Why? First phone without a notch. I don’t mind the notch at all. Just commemorating apples new pill design. 😆

Reactions: zildMacjian

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
There are lots of different views and perspectives with this scenario and to each our own, but really think about this. Yes, getting new tech is cool and feels good for a little while. But honestly, in many cases it's just not needed. I came across a great video the other day talking about planned obsolescence, marketing and techniques companies use on us.

Opened my eyes a little, give it a look.

Thanks for posting that. Interesting with a decent host as well.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
And sadly but not surprisingly, that personal attack received 106 positive reactions. God forbid someone not support this rabid desire for expensive objects.

I have learned I’ve true past 10 years that it’s a great place to discuss the Apple products we buy as long as it remains mostly positive. Any frustrations or issues aired here often get a percentage of responses that tell you to ‘go to Android’ or ‘Apple doesn’t care because they are making billions anyway’. I can’t think of any other brand on earth where you can be negative online even if justified, and be met like this. I can’t imagine going on the Breville forum to complain about the 6 month old toaster that stopped working on me last week and be told ‘I’m negative’, ‘Breville doesn’t care because they’re profitable’ or ‘go and buy a Tefal instead’ lol .

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus

Good for you then. Do what makes you happy, and let others DO, what makes them feel happy. Your title post seems a bit condemning, why should you care what others do?

In other words, stop trying to push your agenda onto others. Maybe start your own cult forum, and you can all enjoy some Kool-Aid, dressed in some funny-looking robes with hoodies.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Exterminator13

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I have learned I’ve true past 10 years that it’s a great place to discuss the Apple products we buy as long as it remains mostly positive. Any frustrations or issues aired here often get a percentage of responses that tell you to ‘go to Android’ or ‘Apple doesn’t care because they are making billions anyway’. I can’t think of any other brand on earth where you can be negative online even if justified, and be met like this. I can’t imagine going on the Breville forum to complain about the 6 month old toaster that stopped working on me last week and be told ‘I’m negative’, ‘Breville doesn’t care because they’re profitable’ or ‘go and buy a Tefal instead’ lol .
Well said. 😊

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
If new iPhone is something that makes you happy, you really should re-evaluate your life. When people say “let people do what makes them happy” (buying new useless gadgets) what they really are saying is that “let people ignore their problem of emptiness and let them continue to hopelessly search for meaning in something they will never truly find it”.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
If new iPhone is something that makes you happy, you really should re-evaluate your life. When people say “let people do what makes them happy” (buying new useless gadgets) what they really are saying is that “let people ignore their problem of emptiness and let them continue to hopelessly search for meaning in something they will never truly find it”.
I am far from being a supporter of this buy buy buy frenzy, but I think you are going too far with your comments. When people buy a new product, whether it be a sandwich, shirt, CD, lipstick or electronic item, they do feel happy. It does not mean their life is shallow, empty or lacking in other areas.

Reactions: DevinNj

Pentium

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Los Angeles
Here’s your annual checklist:

1. Will the phone do anything I need? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? Yes.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? No.

Different people, different answers.
Thanks for the advise though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.