Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
There seems to be a fair amount of members in this thread who are shocked or appalled that others took a personal shot at the OP.

7 years I’ve been in and out of this forum and for 7 years the OP has projected on others what they should or should not do, should or should not value, etc. Every year the phones are too big, the phones are too heavy, the phones have zero innovation, etc.

I’m sorry, but it gets old. Really old. And have you noticed OP hasn’t been involved any further in the ‘discussion’? Why would they be? Their mission to fire people up and watch the chaos that ensues has been accomplished. No matter which side of the ‘ethical and responsible’ fence you lay.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I had to replace my 11 Pro with a 13 Pro a couple months ago and was worried I would be missing out on the 14 Pro. After today, I am pleased to say I am not missing a whole lot. I think the Dynamic Island, while neat, is nowhere near a must-have feature. Satellite would be nice, but also not really a must-have. The camera is already plenty good. I guess this is truly a mature product and the yearly updates are no longer all that interesting.

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
I had to replace my 11 Pro with a 13 Pro a couple months ago and was worried I would be missing out on the 14 Pro. After today, I am pleased to say I am not missing a whole lot. I think the Dynamic Island, while neat, is nowhere near a must-have feature. Satellite would be nice, but also not really a must-have. The camera is already plenty good. I guess this is truly a mature product and the yearly updates are no longer all that interesting.
My sentiments exactly.

Reactions: Cashmonee

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Come to Asia.
Here in Indonesia, we have high ranking government officers (for permits or whatnot) who will refuse any meeting if you are not wearing/carrying at least a Gucci (I'm not joking). Government and business deals secretly rely on your social status to work. An iPhone is quite attainable (and available) for the lay person compared to Rolex or Gucci.

Very interesting. No doubt they don’t care the missing flight.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Exactly! Life is too short to be wasted on smartphones or other useless gadgets that won't change your life in any way. There is really no difference between iPhone models. As long as it works, it’s fine. Same apps, same content, doing the same things. You're just trying to justify yourself there's a difference because you think that purchase will somehow make you happy. Well it will, but only for like five minutes. After that you have basically the same device, and much less cash. Don’t do it. Life is wonderful. Live your life. Gain experiences. You don’t need phone for that. Upgrade when it breaks or becomes truly unusable. It’s just a tool.

Thank you OP for starting this discussion. Trying to wake people up is not being negative.

Well said, and you're welcome.

I wholeheartedly agree. No need to get the newest devices.

Plus, they contribute to pollution and only encourage more of a divide between social classes.

Excellent point.

Good PSA, totally agree. Unlike the above characterization of OP as negative, I find posts like these to be rare on the forums, grounding, and a breath of fresh air.

I do, too. "The unexamined life is not worth living" was said to have been uttered by Socrates at his trial for impiety and corrupting youth, for which he was subsequently sentenced to death.

I don’t want to offend anyone, that is not my intention. But try and understand the broader idea here. Most people do work and have a lifestyle that has no real meaning to them. That imposes depression and sense of meaningless. Then we want to substitute that sense of real meaning that we lost. Companies offer those false substitutes in form of products and services we don’t really need. Much of the economy is based on that loss of meaning and Apple is a great example of that. These products are all false substitutes that cannot compensate for the lack of meaning. I’m truly sorry, that our society, culture and all humanity really, has evolved to this stage. Somewhere on the way we took a wrong turn.

Interesting. When I was watching the Apple keynote about their "ultra" watch, I kept thinking, "how many of their cubicle-bound customers actually do any of this stuff?" Seems like they're making a product for an incredibly small number of people. So maybe the real target is the many people who would like to live lives of great adventure that would help them justify $800 for an "ultra" watch. Perhaps they're targeting the dream--not a bad target, I suppose.

I doubt that feeling of happiness is prolonged and genuine like coming across a really life changing book, or meeting a truly significant person. Sure, opening the box and holding the shiny new thing might bring 20 minutes of joy but ask yourselves honestly is it a protracted genuine sense of happiness or just « new thing » dopamine…

Well said.

to the OP glad to see someone get's it. 👍

:)

Great range of responses to this thread.

Last edited:

Exterminator13

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
True. Posting this from an IPhone 6 plus. I'm happy without wireless charging, wireless sound, invisible sims and spy satellite technology.

Reactions: janeauburn

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
If it makes you happy upgrade, if it doesn’t don’t.
You do you, everyone else can barley take care of themselves without managing someone else’s phone choice.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You do understand that those questions are not to be answered, right? Their purpose is to reflect and think twice about making a potential purchase.

You can buy a new phone. No one cares. You can decide not to buy a new phone. No one cares.
I understand he meant them to be rhetorical. That’s why I said my 2 cents. You cared enough to reply so clearly someone cares 😉

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I am really confused what people expect out of a phone these days. What is innovation to you people? Foldable? That is not innovation, just improving on old technology that the Nintendo DS used.

onenorth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2021
There seems to be a fair amount of members in this thread who are shocked or appalled that others took a personal shot at the OP.

7 years I’ve been in and out of this forum and for 7 years the OP has projected on others what they should or should not do, should or should not value, etc. Every year the phones are too big, the phones are too heavy, the phones have zero innovation, etc.

I’m sorry, but it gets old. Really old. And have you noticed OP hasn’t been involved any further in the ‘discussion’? Why would they be? Their mission to fire people up and watch the chaos that ensues has been accomplished. No matter which side of the ‘ethical and responsible’ fence you lay.
It is virtue signaling.

"You do you" is a good retort.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
I am really confused what people expect out of a phone these days. What is innovation to you people? Foldable? That is not innovation, just improving on old technology that the Nintendo DS used.
I made the mistake of heading to Twitter after the event.

I’m shocked that “no innovation” wasn’t trending. All the “No innovation” comments lack… innovation.

Light field display?! 😅

Attachments

• 93ACEC2B-A3C6-456F-AB1A-748576D3D3D9.jpeg
    93ACEC2B-A3C6-456F-AB1A-748576D3D3D9.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 29ABC3D8-FA63-49FC-8AB4-3D170701084C.jpeg
    29ABC3D8-FA63-49FC-8AB4-3D170701084C.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DA13E7E5-A8C1-4E51-A02E-65463C37F78E.jpeg
    DA13E7E5-A8C1-4E51-A02E-65463C37F78E.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 49708B46-B9CE-4869-99AA-67F346589CC7.jpeg
    49708B46-B9CE-4869-99AA-67F346589CC7.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 369E765B-41C1-4FF0-80B0-DB81B56363B9.jpeg
    369E765B-41C1-4FF0-80B0-DB81B56363B9.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 26D35863-25B2-45EB-812D-F74D8265BD23.jpeg
    26D35863-25B2-45EB-812D-F74D8265BD23.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 7C5A34A3-442F-49DC-80ED-834B97E9FAC5.jpeg
    7C5A34A3-442F-49DC-80ED-834B97E9FAC5.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: onenorth

onenorth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2021
I made the mistake of heading to Twitter after the event.

I’m shocked that “no innovation” wasn’t trending. All the “No innovation” comments lack… innovation.

Light field display?! 😅
Social media at its best (or worst, depending on your viewpoint). Everyone has an opinion to share...

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)

Do you say the same thing to auto enthusiasts on their forums? How about general aviation pilots who own their own aircraft? Maybe you suggest the same to nearly any hobbyist of any sort who can answer the exact same to the questions you pose?

I personally spend approximately $200-300 out of pocket every single year on a new phone. That, to me, is a pretty cheap hobby considering what I could spend on others.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I can’t upgrade until next month and said I probably won’t but there’s some great deals today on a 13 Pro. I did say I may go down this route and it’s probably the most cost effective right now when you consider the standard 14 is more.

Reactions: Hicksmat1976

onenorth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2021
Do you say the same thing to auto enthusiasts on their forums? How about general aviation pilots who own their own aircraft? Maybe you suggest the same to nearly any hobbyist of any sort who can answer the exact same to the questions you pose?
It is like telling a child that they don't need any more LEGOs because the ones they have are perfectly good.

Reactions: Oridus

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Sorry to pile on but why even make a post like this that as no relevance to anyone other than you in any way?

YOU don't want to buy a new phone because it won't make YOU happy. That has nothing, whatsoever, to do with anyone else, and to be blunt is not relevant.

A lot of people want to knock down those people who get enjoyment at buying a new phone because THEY want to do it for whatever reason they feel like, and as there make the choice, that reason for them is 100% right.

I get a new phone every year, because I want to. End of story.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I personally spend approximately $200-300 out of pocket every single year on a new phone. That, to me, is a pretty cheap hobby considering what I could spend on others.

You captured my thought on this exactly - generic applicability to virtually any product out there. Should you carefully consider expensive purchases? Yes. Should you be guilt-shamed for making them? No.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
That is the thing people don't realize. When iPhone becomes USB-C, I will need to replace 15 cables, adapters, stands etc.

Agree.

I have several USB-C devices and fail to see the attraction. The connector itself is flimsy, far less secure than Apple's current lightning plug.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2021
The logic of capitalism is that people DONT think about their environmental impact of creating demand for constant production cycles and instead use depreciation arguments to justify turning the planet into a husk of its former self by purchasing a new useless, barely upgraded model every 6 months to 1 year. The same insane thing happens nowadays in relation to car purchases. Because depreciation can be so insane I know friends (who are no longer really friends) who change their new car every 1 to years to have the latest whatever, while they pay a 3000€ to 5000€ difference and they DONT for a second consider what this impact does to extraction of new materials, the rapid dumping of old materials as the market moves towards new and shiny. This is the logic of a lot of people here - I want new, and there are ZERO consequences to that. I hate to tell you, it’s not at all the case. Just because a financial system has a tendency towards consumption and consumptive behaviours doesn’t make it an unshakeable dogma of our time. It’s not a natural truth, it’s deeply unnatural in fact.
Yeah, it's sad. But personally, I do/did the trade-in directly with apple, they recycle the materials and resell the phone. So, I think is better for the planet that someone buy a refurbished phone from apple than instead a brand new one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.