Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irock101

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
To be fair, I agree with your checklist but the apple trade in makes it almost a no brainer not to upgrade. I rather pay $200-300 for a new phone than potential repairs that might come up and have the latest hardware on top of it.
With the whole trade-in scheme, upgrading your iPhone every year has become a no brainer for me.

iPhone82

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2015
I'm enjoying the 13 Pro Max.... Unless it has some insane new features then I'm just gonna wait it out. I'm waiting for a rebate from Verizon since I recently switched over to them and brought two iPhones. Its $1000 store credit. I may use it if I think its worth it. If not then I'll just wait it out another year. Switching phones every year is a two hour process, login into everything and all my emails and setting up apps. Pain in the butt.... Then again temptation will get the best of me if there's something really nice about it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
As expected, lots of replies of:

“I don’t care, I want it, even if it does the same thing my existing phone does”

Essentially a lot of posts missing the broader point being hinted at.

Oh well
Happy phone day all..

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
I don’t want to offend anyone, that is not my intention. But try and understand the broader idea here. Most people do work and have a lifestyle that has no real meaning to them. That imposes depression and sense of meaningless. Then we want to substitute that sense of real meaning that we lost. Companies offer those false substitutes in form of products and services we don’t really need. Much of the economy is based on that loss of meaning and Apple is a great example of that. These products are all false substitutes that cannot compensate for the lack of meaning. I’m truly sorry, that our society, culture and all humanity really, has evolved to this stage. Somewhere on the way we took a wrong turn.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
3 is debatable. Most people here probably answer yes. :D

And come on, it's not $1500. People who were on iPhone 8 or older can upgrade to the regular 13 or 14 and get a huge upgrade (AMOLED screen, night mode camera, 5G, FaceID, larger screen, more RAM, much better battery life, etc etc).
I doubt that feeling of happiness is prolonged and genuine like coming across a really life changing book, or meeting a truly significant person. Sure, opening the box and holding the shiny new thing might bring 20 minutes of joy but ask yourselves honestly is it a protracted genuine sense of happiness or just « new thing » dopamine…

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I doubt that feeling of happiness is prolonged and genuine like coming across a really life changing book, or meeting a truly significant person. Sure, opening the box and holding the shiny new thing might bring 20 minutes of joy but ask yourselves honestly is it a protracted genuine sense of happiness or just « new thing » dopamine…
Sure, and seek Jesus for eternal happiness. 😇 Come on, why so serious? 🤡

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I think depends how you see it, for some people is an investment and for other a waste of money (if you DONT take full advantage of your device). Personally, I love tech in every aspect of it and surely will upgrade from my iPhone 13 Pro to 14 Pro Max. A yearly upgrade hurt less than buy each 5 years and spend a fully $1,100+tax (USD) and hold onto that crappy phone and hope it will be pristine for 5 years (no hardware issues etc). For me is an investment, that device in your pocket can record a video/audio, take pictures instantly, browsing internet, entertainment (countless music/videos), see your long distance family (thru FT), GPS Maps, study/learn in every corner (im MD (physician) student)), manage your bank account, money maker (uber, stocks) etc . If I told my dad back in the 90s that a pocket device will do that and more for $1000, he will pay it without hesitating. Now, those same people that whines about: """is a waste of money, is to expensive, I'll keep my iPhone 3GS because the upgrades are minimal""" are the same ones that spend money on lunch/Starbucks everyday religiously. If you add a $5 lunch (that doesn't exist) and a $5 Starbucks (sike) is $10 daily (without adding any extra expenses like breakfast, vending machine...) and multiple by 20 weekdays = $200 monthly on those things and $2400 yearly. In that case, for ME is a waste of money because is unhealthy and a lot of money for trashy food, but for others is an investment. POV people...POV.
The logic of capitalism is that people DONT think about their environmental impact of creating demand for constant production cycles and instead use depreciation arguments to justify turning the planet into a husk of its former self by purchasing a new useless, barely upgraded model every 6 months to 1 year. The same insane thing happens nowadays in relation to car purchases. Because depreciation can be so insane I know friends (who are no longer really friends) who change their new car every 1 to years to have the latest whatever, while they pay a 3000€ to 5000€ difference and they DONT for a second consider what this impact does to extraction of new materials, the rapid dumping of old materials as the market moves towards new and shiny. This is the logic of a lot of people here - I want new, and there are ZERO consequences to that. I hate to tell you, it’s not at all the case. Just because a financial system has a tendency towards consumption and consumptive behaviours doesn’t make it an unshakeable dogma of our time. It’s not a natural truth, it’s deeply unnatural in fact.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don’t want to offend anyone, that is not my intention. But try and understand the broader idea here. Most people do work and have a lifestyle that has no real meaning to them. That imposes depression and sense of meaningless. Then we want to substitute that sense of real meaning that we lost. Companies offer those false substitutes in form of products and services we don’t really need. Much of the economy is based on that loss of meaning and Apple is a great example of that. These products are all false substitutes that cannot compensate for the lack of meaning. I’m truly sorry, that our society, culture and all humanity really, has evolved to this stage. Somewhere on the way we took a wrong turn.
Come to Asia.
Here in Indonesia, we have high ranking government officers (for permits or whatnot) who will refuse any meeting if you are not wearing/carrying at least a Gucci (I'm not joking). Government and business deals secretly rely on your social status to work. An iPhone is quite attainable (and available) for the lay person compared to Rolex or Gucci.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Sure, and seek Jesus for eternal happiness. 😇 Come on, why so serious? 🤡
Sort of a stupid response to a pretty important point that is one of the prime problems of our time, recognised by the most important institutions as a grave threat to our society, the fact that we overshoot around July every year what we consume to live sustainably on this planet (MOSTLY the wealthy northern westerners) and the fact that a shocking amount of people here are completely ignorant of that fact, and in turn justify their spending habits and excessive consumption while we inevitably race towards an abyss.

Unless we collectively believe it has to be done differently. But most importantly we have to admit that there’s a problem, all of us.

Also, I’m about as religious as Jesus was a cow so don’t talk to me about seeking happiness in sky gods that are impossible to find. They’re crutches for most who SHOULD take action but instead pray for hope. Neither of those things brings the necessary change.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I am far from being a supporter of this buy buy buy frenzy, but I think you are going too far with your comments. When people buy a new product, whether it be a sandwich, shirt, CD, lipstick or electronic item, they do feel happy. It does not mean their life is shallow, empty or lacking in other areas.
I agree wholeheartedly with what you said to that gentleman, but when OP calls those who do enjoy buying a new phone “followers” and I suggest OP need not be so negative, that’s wrong?

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
What you don’t seem to get is that not everyone who buys a new phone does it to fill some void in their life. I am in the tech industry, I enjoy new technology, I look forward to getting a new phone when I can. It’s just something I’m into. Some people like sports, I like technology. Doesn’t mean I’m trying to fill some hole in my world.

AhRiHmAn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2016
France
What you don’t seem to get is that not everyone who buys a new phone does it to fill some void in their life. I am in the tech industry, I enjoy new technology, I look forward to getting a new phone when I can. It’s just something I’m into. Some people like sports, I like technology. Doesn’t mean I’m trying to fill some hole in my world.
Exactly , I know people who buy expensive cars (personal I couldn't care less) , or expensive clothes , sunglasses etc etc , because they like that.
For my part it is tech.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Even though I don't upgrade every year, I'm happy for anyone who does!

If it makes you happy, good for ya! Why does anyone care or bother how someone spends their hard earned money ?

We're all enslaved by materialism in some form. I spend on cars (mods) and AV products. Some spend on clothes, some on eating out frequently ( which can be rather expensive ), some on video games.. it's all good!! My neighbor is obsessed with caps and shoes lol..

dmdcash

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
SOME people (like me) suffered terrible losses the last year and a half....maybe some of us take the little things like this to give us a little joy in the world. Maybe you should think of that when preaching.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Most of the people I know do work and have a lifestyle that has real meaning to them. Your outlook on people and life is incredibly depressing.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
I think you got #3 wrong. It will not just make you happy, it'll make you ecstatic. You'll be the envy of everyone and they'll all run out and get one too and will experience similar ecstasy.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
I'll add my two cents...

Let's go over the checklist together

1. Will the phone do anything I need? How do you know what I need? You don't but you can assume..

2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? And this is a problem why? A new car does the same things as the old one. My new shoes do the same things as the old ones. My new pants do the same things as the old ones...

3. Will the phone make me happier? You know what makes me happy?

4. Will the phone make me poorer? Everything you buy makes you poorer. Should I wear rags so I'm not poorer?

Let people decide what they need and want instead of projecting what you need or want on them. It's like the worst trait that I see when it comes to people giving advice on the forums. People give advice based on their needs or wants and somehow assume that everyone is exactly the same as they are. I'm probably not going to get the new iPhone 14 but it has nothing to do with the reasons given here in that checklist.
You do understand that those questions are not to be answered, right? Their purpose is to reflect and think twice about making a potential purchase.

You can buy a new phone. No one cares. You can decide not to buy a new phone. No one cares.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Unfortunately, this is the year I was holding on to my XR to trade in. Kinda was hoping for better than a 13s but it is what it is.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Come to Asia.
Here in Indonesia, we have high ranking government officers (for permits or whatnot) who will refuse any meeting if you are not wearing/carrying at least a Gucci (I'm not joking). Government and business deals secretly rely on your social status to work. An iPhone is quite attainable (and available) for the lay person compared to Rolex or Gucci.
Gucci's are junk. Not a very high bar...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.