Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
Force killing the camera app that was sucking my battery life away as fixed my issue. I think it was stuck on an asking for geolocation screen.

Since i did that ( and without rebooting), i still have 20% left this morning, after charging it the previous night (i did not charge it last night).

So there's definitely something going on with apps in the background not correctly closing draining battery ( i see a few others's FB app has done the same for example.)

i've submitted a bug report

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
How would I know if my phone was indexing? My recovery was done and I woke up to a dead phone hot phone so it has to of been processing something. This was the first day I had it.
How much battery did you have before going to bed?

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
I'm also very not impressed with battery life on my IP14 Pro. It's my 4th day with it and it hasn't improved at all. Today for example, took it off the charger at 70%, went to work, came back, and as you can see, 1hour 6 minute of on screen time, and 1 hours 7min of music in the background. And its taken up around 40% of the battery. No camera, no YouTube, no social media, no gaming, auto-brightness OFF, WiFi and at home I'm even on airplane mode.

I barely used my phone during the day and 40% of the battery is gone! WTF...

Coconut battery says its all fine, even at 104% capacity...

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0179.PNG
    IMG_0179.PNG
    288.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0180.PNG
    IMG_0180.PNG
    305.5 KB · Views: 127

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I'm also very not impressed with battery life on my IP14 Pro. It's my 4th day with it and it hasn't improved at all. Today for example, took it off the charger at 70%, went to work, came back, and as you can see, 1hour 6 minute of on screen time, and 1 hours 7min of music in the background. And its taken up around 40% of the battery. No camera, no YouTube, no social media, no gaming, auto-brightness OFF, WiFi and at home I'm even on airplane mode.

I barely used my phone during the day and 40% of the battery is gone! WTF...

Coconut battery says its all fine, even at 104% capacity...

Any ideas?
Same here I took it off my charger this morning only used for less than half hr already 88%. My 2 yr old 12 Pro would still be at 95%. I wonder wiping out and start as new phone might help but PITA to setup everything.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Same here I took it off my charger this morning only used for less than half hr already 88%. My 2 yr old 12 Pro would still be at 95%. I wonder wiping out and start as new phone might help but PITA to setup everything.
But its like, we just went through that. First 24hours was all about syncing and updating photos, then I saw it drain like 10% at night on wifi and airplane mode. Now its using almost 40% barely using it. Very pissed off at the moment. Fresh install with iOS 16.0.1? Or maybe just return and get another...

NikkoTuason

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2018
Yea. I work in a city, so I go on throughout the day and spin the stops at my desk. Then I usually walk 4 miles one at lunch break, 2 miles and another 2 at night with my fiancée. Not like I sit on my butt and do nothing with my life lol
Add me😂

Attachments

• E1B79A17-81F1-4924-AA93-1911D3B59BB8.jpeg
    E1B79A17-81F1-4924-AA93-1911D3B59BB8.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 95

Packer2058

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but I meticulously control the Location Services which settings are on (i.e., System Services and Significant Locations, etc.); I turn off background app refresh for most apps that I don't need running in the background, also go into Siri and Search and uncheck "Show Content in Search," "Learn from this App," and turn off most suggestions for most apps that don't get used on the daily. Also, make sure iCloud isn't updating and uploading stuff while on cellular, amongst other things!

Reactions: CabanossiHead

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Just throwing my tuppence-worth in here, and this is solely anecdotal but I have noticed that my 14PM battery is really not as great as my 13PM.

My 13PM, I never even used to worry about the battery - and consistently ended the day on 20-30% with very heavy usage for work.

I'd get up and be on it solidly for about an hour catching up on work stuff and checking social media, then go to the gym and stream music/radio for 90 mins and by mid morning, be no lower than 86% at the absolute lowest.

This morning, I was on it much less than normal before going to the gym, and then by the time I left the gym and got home, I was down to 74% - so 12 percent less than I would be normally at that point.

I just charged it up to 100% and took it off the charger. I'm now at 98% after an hour off charger which included one 20 min call over WhatsApp and one min call. Normally, my 13PM would be at 100% for another hour or two at least.

I got this phone on Friday and set it up Friday evening so I get that it might still be indexing, but I also remember being massively impressed with the 13PM from day one and not having to make excuses or tell myself it would probably get better after a few days.

I'm not one of these people who moans and hates and tends to get buyers remorse on an iPhone but here, I do personally feel that the experience isn't as 'wow' as it normally is. I don't feel delighted, I feel slightly disappointed. I still have my 13PM so will maybe return this if I don't feel any happier in a few days. I am one of those people who likes to get the new iPhone every year and has done since the first edition and view it as a great investment because I use it for absolutely everything.

But I also have a job that means at times, I have to be able to rely on that massive battery, I remember getting the first 6 Plus Phone and being absolutely blown away at how I just couldn't get it to drop from 100% and for me, the 13PM was similar and there's a reason that this is regarded as the gold standard by many reviewers and has been for the last twelve months. I don't feel that yet with the 14PM but I'm willing to give it a few more days.

I do love the AOD (I've dabbled with Samsung devices on and off over the years but have never been able to switch, though have always loved their AOD so I was excited to see Apple bring that.) I don't want to have to turn it off and start making compromises to make it work as it should.

I recall during the keynote that Apple didn't tout an amazing battery increase (in fact, I believe the battery is physically smaller now) which I remember thinking at the time spoke volumes because with their marketing nous, you know they would have talked about what an increase it would have been if that were the case. Instead saying 'still delivers all day battery life' is technically true (subjectively) but hardly pushes the envelope.

On a sidenote, a friend of mine who works at Apple was complaining about a buggy camera app on his and returned it and I see this is something that is affecting other people too. Mine has been OK, but it looks like this model doesn't seem as water-tight as previous years between this and the battery issue. And at the risk of drawing ire from some, I don't feel the camera quality is as good as the 13PM either.. YMMV (and I'm sure it will) but I find that some pictures just look a lot darker than they would on the 13PM (though I understand it's a technical compromise due to letting in more light for darker pics etc.)

Anyway, sounds like I'm just trying to justify returning it and keeping the 13PM which I really am not. I really want to love this phone, but the slight battery anxiety is muddying that so I hope that disappates one the next few days. Not least because the act of switching two eSims back is a right PITA (which also could be part of the issue, though I was running one eSim and one regular sim in my 13PM with no issues and battery was stellar.)

We'll see - and as I say, this is purely anecdotal. So don't come at me, lol!

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Just throwing my tuppence-worth in here, and this is solely anecdotal but I have noticed that my 14PM battery is really not as great as my 13PM.

My 13PM, I never even used to worry about the battery - and consistently ended the day on 20-30% with very heavy usage for work.

I'd get up and be on it solidly for about an hour catching up on work stuff and checking social media, then go to the gym and stream music/radio for 90 mins and by mid morning, be no lower than 86% at the absolute lowest.

This morning, I was on it much less than normal before going to the gym, and then by the time I left the gym and got home, I was down to 74% - so 12 percent less than I would be normally at that point.

I just charged it up to 100% and took it off the charger. I'm now at 98% after an hour off charger which included one 20 min call over WhatsApp and one min call. Normally, my 13PM would be at 100% for another hour or two at least.

I got this phone on Friday and set it up Friday evening so I get that it might still be indexing, but I also remember being massively impressed with the 13PM from day one and not having to make excuses or tell myself it would probably get better after a few days.

I'm not one of these people who moans and hates and tends to get buyers remorse on an iPhone but here, I do personally feel that the experience isn't as 'wow' as it normally is. I don't feel delighted, I feel slightly disappointed. I still have my 13PM so will maybe return this if I don't feel any happier in a few days. I am one of those people who likes to get the new iPhone every year and has done since the first edition and view it as a great investment because I use it for absolutely everything.

But I also have a job that means at times, I have to be able to rely on that massive battery, I remember getting the first 6 Plus Phone and being absolutely blown away at how I just couldn't get it to drop from 100% and for me, the 13PM was similar and there's a reason that this is regarded as the gold standard by many reviewers and has been for the last twelve months. I don't feel that yet with the 14PM but I'm willing to give it a few more days.

I do love the AOD (I've dabbled with Samsung devices on and off over the years but have never been able to switch, though have always loved their AOD so I was excited to see Apple bring that.) I don't want to have to turn it off and start making compromises to make it work as it should.

I recall during the keynote that Apple didn't tout an amazing battery increase (in fact, I believe the battery is physically smaller now) which I remember thinking at the time spoke volumes because with their marketing nous, you know they would have talked about what an increase it would have been if that were the case. Instead saying 'still delivers all day battery life' is technically true (subjectively) but hardly pushes the envelope.

On a sidenote, a friend of mine who works at Apple was complaining about a buggy camera app on his and returned it and I see this is something that is affecting other people too. Mine has been OK, but it looks like this model doesn't seem as water-tight as previous years between this and the battery issue. And at the risk of drawing ire from some, I don't feel the camera quality is as good as the 13PM either.. YMMV (and I'm sure it will) but I find that some pictures just look a lot darker than they would on the 13PM (though I understand it's a technical compromise due to letting in more light for darker pics etc.)

Anyway, sounds like I'm just trying to justify returning it and keeping the 13PM which I really am not. I really want to love this phone, but the slight battery anxiety is muddying that so I hope that disappates one the next few days. Not least because the act of switching two eSims back is a right PITA (which also could be part of the issue, though I was running one eSim and one regular sim in my 13PM with no issues and battery was stellar.)

We'll see - and as I say, this is purely anecdotal. So don't come at me, lol!
My brother owns the 13pro, and after a year and having updated to iOS 16, he has way better battery life than I do. I might do a fresh install of iOS 16.0.1, but it is a PITA. I wonder if there's some bug thats causing this, because on these forums there are other people that claim to have a really great battery life on the 14pro.

I just don't feel amazed at all in the battery department, and I upgraded from the iPhone 7. The rest has blown my mind.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
My brother owns the 13pro, and after a year and having updated to iOS 16, he has way better battery life than I do. I might do a fresh install of iOS 16.0.1, but it is a PITA. I wonder if there's some bug thats causing this, because on these forums there are other people that claim to have a really great battery life on the 14pro.

I just don't feel amazed at all in the battery department, and I upgraded from the iPhone 7. The rest has blown my mind.
Yeah it could totally be iOS 16 related but I didn't notice any issues with ios16 on my 13PM for the first week of using it.

I could do a clean install but that is a massive PITA. I have not had to do that for years and years and I don't want to have to lose my stuff and start from scratch. My life is busy enough, lol.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Keep in mind that some of you may have apps that need updating and bug fixing, that isn't readily apparent from a battery activity standpoint. Every year it is the same song and dance. We have a new OS and a new phone and a lot of apps that need work.

Looking at the battery stats screen isn't necessarily going to tell you anything meaningful outside of the fact you have been using battery. The more you obsess over the obvious, the less obvious the obsession becomes.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Keep in mind that some of you may have apps that need updating and bug fixing, that isn't readily apparent from a battery activity standpoint. Every year it is the same song and dance. We have a new OS and a new phone and a lot of apps that need work.

Looking at the battery stats screen isn't necessarily going to tell you anything meaningful outside of the fact you have been using battery. The more you obsess over the obvious, the less obvious the obsession becomes.
You're right, I guess we just gotta let everything sink in. Wait for at least a full week or so and then start concluding.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles

Sure and ill keep an open mind. I'll give it a few more days.

Brandonlowsk

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2018
anyone did a clean factory wipe reset for their iphone 14 pro max? does it improve the battery life? been thinking if i should do it but some of my data will be gone...

Kirito779

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
Guangdong
Yes this phone was acting super weird. Ever since I got back on Wi-Fi and charged it up to 28% it has only dropped back to 23% in an hour or so. The thing that confused me was how it would drop like 5% in a few mins then go 15 or so mins without losing a single percentage. And the whole, I restarted it and it lost 4%, went from 44% to 40% from restart…. It must have been the fact those iCloud Photos were paused waiting to upload. I really think even though they were paused, the phone was trying to send them to the cloud, but who knows. I’ll report back after a full day tomorrow and see if I have better battery
Yes!Mine is as same as yours.
For example,(battery health100%)when I have 88% battery,I use it for a while,but keep it 88%。Then turn off the screen,1 mins latter,open the screen,it drop to 87%。And I turn off it again 3-5 mins latter,it drop to 86%。
Anyone have the same issue?drop 2% quickly

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Yes!Mine is as same as yours.
For example,(battery health100%)when I have 88% battery,I use it for a while,but keep it 88%。Then turn off the screen,1 mins latter,open the screen,it drop to 87%。And I turn off it again 3-5 mins latter,it drop to 86%。
Anyone have the same issue?drop 2% quickly
YES - exactly this. I literally put it in my pocket and went to the restroom then pulled it out after having a pee (ie, I wasn't in the restroom for a long time) and it had dropped from 50% to 48% while doing NOTHING

Reactions: lleial and tCC_

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Here's my question: I'm willing to wipe my phone and set it up as new to see if this fixes the issue but I can't work out a few things. Maybe some of you folks can help?

- In the US, we have ONLY e-Sim. I'm with T-Mobile. I transferred across from my 13PM to the 14PM during setup, but what happens if I wipe this phone completely? Will it automatically still retain the e-Sim and just allow me to set it up or will my number disappear into the ether? I have to work so can't be without a phone all day - but wonder if anybody else has had this issue? Bear in mind that I won't be transferring it from another phone like I was before.

- If I set-up as new, I know I have to install my apps again one by one. That's fine. But presumably all passwords come across from my iCloud keychain when I sign in. Will this be the same with things like known wifi networks.

- I have iMessage cloud sync. Will my 'new' phone with no messages immediately download them from the cloud or will they be lost to me?

- As above, but MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO ME - WhatsApp. I am European living in the US and WA is way more prominent (and dare I say, functional) than iMessage so I have years worth of conversation history in there to keep. I know they normally restore from the iCloud backup when restoring a phone but are they tied to the app or the backup? Meaning when I download WhatsApp from the App Store to my 'new' phone, will I be able to download my message history from iCloud too? Or will they be lost?

- What about my Apple Watch - currently paired to by iPhone 14 Pro Max. What happens with that? Will that have to be setup as new or can I restore that from backup too? (Bearing in mind I believe the backup for an Apple Watch is usually tied up within an iPhone iCloud backup.)

If you know the answers to any of these definitively, please let me know.I don't want to waste a whole day of my life doing this only to then find out that I lost everything.. Thanks in advance guys.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
YES - exactly this. I literally put it in my pocket and went to the restroom then pulled it out after having a pee (ie, I wasn't in the restroom for a long time) and it had dropped from 50% to 48% while doing NOTHING
Still having the same problem. Took the phone off the charger at 81%, now it’s at 75% and only 16minutes of on screen time. I’m going to have to try wiping it out as well. I’m hoping this is an iOS bug. Definitely not good battery life. 5th day with this so it’s more than settled.

Kirito779

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
Guangdong
I dont know it was software/system or hardware issue.It determines that if I change a new one or not.Apple support have no idea with it

Theozz

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2015
France
- As above, but MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO ME - WhatsApp. I am European living in the US and WA is way more prominent (and dare I say, functional) than iMessage so I have years worth of conversation history in there to keep. I know they normally restore from the iCloud backup when restoring a phone but are they tied to the app or the backup? Meaning when I download WhatsApp from the App Store to my 'new' phone, will I be able to download my message history from iCloud too? Or will they be lost?

They tied to the app. You need to go save your conversations directly from the app to the cloud. Then restore with your new phone.

Brandonlowsk

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2018
anyone did a clean factory wipe reset for their iphone 14 pro max? does it improve the battery life? been thinking if i should do it but some of my data will be gone...
Still having the same problem. Took the phone off the charger at 81%, now it’s at 75% and only 16minutes of on screen time. I’m going to have to try wiping it out as well. I’m hoping this is an iOS bug. Definitely not good battery life. 5th day with this so it’s more than settled.
do keep us updated if the wipe does help in battery life, im experiencing the same thing as u.

Reactions: lleial
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.