Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I charged mine to 99% last night and took of the charger around 7:45 pm. I woke up this morning at 5:10am and the battery was at 96% (it was in sleep mode the whole night which turns off the screen)
right now is 08:08 am and I am at 90%. All of this has been without little to no use of the phone just idle.
At this point I am beginning to think the AOD hits the battery harder than expected. As soon as I begin my day the sleep focus is off and the screen back on AOD I can see the battery going down and fast just being idle

I am waiting for more feedback from other users that have wiped the phone to see if this helped somehow but at this point i don't know what to do !
I have similar experience to you two and I have AOD and 5g turned off with no lock screen widgets. Gonna probably wait for the update next week, if it doesn't fix it, just sending it back.

Reactions: tCC_

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
I have similar experience to you two and I have AOD and 5g turned off with no lock screen widgets. Gonna probably wait for the update next week, if it doesn't fix it, just sending it back.
I'm hesitant to do this. I like having AOD and it sticks in the throat having to turn off the very enhancements that make it a new phone.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

Brandonlowsk

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2018
I charged mine to 99% last night and took of the charger around 7:45 pm. I woke up this morning at 5:10am and the battery was at 96% (it was in sleep mode the whole night which turns off the screen)
right now is 08:08 am and I am at 90%. All of this has been without little to no use of the phone just idle.
At this point I am beginning to think the AOD hits the battery harder than expected. As soon as I begin my day the sleep focus is off and the screen back on AOD I can see the battery going down and fast just being idle

I am waiting for more feedback from other users that have wiped the phone to see if this helped somehow but at this point i don't know what to do !
I did the wipe n i can see that there’s a noticeable better battery life, before this my 14 pro max data was transferred from 13 pm, maybe that’s why it’s causing some drain…

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I did the wipe n i can see that there’s a noticeable better battery life, before this my 14 pro max data was transferred from 13 pm, maybe that’s why it’s causing some drain…
Honest question - should this really matter? Apple is the best software company in the world. I know this is a thing in the android world and it makes some sense due to fragmentation. I too am experience poor battery life on my 14 Pro Max and I restored from a backup of my 13PM. I cannot believe that a restore - which Apple highly touts - should be the reason for the drain.

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
I went from a 13PM with amazing battery and decided to try the 14 Pro. Yesterday was a busy day and I had to charge the phone multiple times to get through my day. I just finished wiping the 14 to return to the Apple Store. My 13 Pro Max gets me through a full day with heavy use, so I wasn’t liking having to charge multiple times a day.

• Love

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Well, commuting home, here’s the stats so far:

- just hit the 20% mark (17.30)
- woke up at 70% (06.55)
- it was charged til 82% (yesterday 23.00)

So in a way it’s used 62% and in return around 3 hours of Screen On Time and 5 hours of screen off time (music).

I feel like it’s getting better. It would definitely get through a full day, however I want to believe that there’s much room for improvement.

Once I get home I’ll charge to around 80% and see from there on.

Attachments

• 2998CEB9-546F-4289-90FD-3C8420587A22.png
    2998CEB9-546F-4289-90FD-3C8420587A22.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 2AC7C702-168A-42FF-B127-F905A62DAA26.png
    2AC7C702-168A-42FF-B127-F905A62DAA26.png
    347.2 KB · Views: 85

Carmine Perrone

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
I have been monitoring my battery usage by app data...after this time, the AOD has taken over the lead with 17% of my battery drain being attributed to it.

It's a choice now...leave it on and have to charge prematurely or turn it off and not use one of Apple's 14 P/PM selling points for this model to extend battery life, pretty crappy choice to have to make if you ask me.

I upgraded from a 12PM and I cannot quite remember what the drain was per hour on average but this model with no app refresh in the background, no apps using location services unless being used and auto brightness on is moving at 4% per hour still. After a 15 hour day, should still have 35-40% remaining which isn't half bad...not great but not the worst either.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I have been monitoring my battery usage by app data...after this time, the AOD has taken over the lead with 17% of my battery drain being attributed to it.

It's a choice now...leave it on and have to charge prematurely or turn it off and not use one of Apple's 14 P/PM selling points for this model to extend battery life, pretty crappy choice to have to make if you ask me.

I upgraded from a 12PM and I cannot quite remember what the drain was per hour on average but this model with no app refresh in the background, no apps using location services unless being used and auto brightness on is moving at 4% per hour still. After a 15 hour day, should still have 35-40% remaining which isn't half bad...not great but not the worst either.
How are you monitoring battery usage by app data? I'm not surprised by AOD. It's a battery killer and always has been on Android. So basically, we have to turn it off just like on Android.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyc0524

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
96AF828D-0B2B-421E-84ED-80F519CEC624.jpeg

I have been experiencing the same with my 14 Pro. Batteries have been an issue since forever in new phones. Mostly due to a new iOS release. It tends to get better with each point release, so I hope 16.1 and 16.2 will make sure to optimize it even further.

Carmine Perrone

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
The data in the battery menu under settings...its the battery usage by app and you can look at percentages (battery usage by app) or activity (Time on screen)

Sorry if my original message was confusing, nothing fancy here, just what Apple provides in the battery section

Carmine Perrone

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
I have been experiencing the same with my 14 Pro. Batteries have been an issue since forever in new phones. Mostly due to a new iOS release. It tends to get better with each point release, so I hope 16.1 and 16.2 will make sure to optimize it even further.
It's not been terrible, I've seen much worse (ie. 7 Plus was horrendous for first month or so if I remember correctly).

I don't mind charging a little more often for more options but in the keynote, Apple made it sound like the AOD barely consumes any energy...as of this point, easy to see that isn't entirely true.

I can only imagine if I had background app refresh on the AOD lol

Carmine Perrone

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
I Can't see 4352mAh vs 4323mAh making that big a difference? I guess it isn't really comparing apples to apples (no pun intended lol) since the 14PM has more brightness capabilities (1600nits vs 1000nits) and also AOD

Last edited:

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I Can't see 4352mAh vs 4323mAh making that big a difference? I guess it isn't really comparing apples to apples (no pun intended lol) since the 14PM has more brightness capabilities (1600nits vs 1000nits) and also AOD
True, and all that extra processor speed and processing magic with photos takes a toll on the battery as well I assume. So I expect the battery to be a little worse despite being the same physical size. But shouldn’t be too big of a difference given some time.

brad_from_accounting

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
I created an account just to comment on this. I upgraded from an iPhone Xr to a 256Gb iPhone 14P. The battery life on the Xr was amazing when I first got it, but it's a little less now, battery is around 80%, easily gets through a full day. Moving to the iPhone 14 Pro has been an awful experience. The battery life is terrible, like android from 2013-2014 bad (nexus 5). this is the 6th day I've had it now and it doesn't appear to be getting better.

I wiped it on Sunday to see if it would make a difference, everyone was saying it would fix it, but it doesn't appear to have done anything. Here is an example for today. I started to charge it last night around 1:30am with 55% charge and it was only at 97% at 7:30am with a 5 watt charger (that's whats next to my bed). Anyways its 1Pm now, I have 2 1/2 hours of screen time and its at 38%, mostly emails, some reddit, and some phone calls. I doubt this phone can make it to 5PM with its current charge. I thought I was going to get more screen time with this device, but it appears to be way less.

I've attached two photos, the first is when I left it unplugged one night after a 80~% charge, the second night I owned it. I think the battery dropped by 40-50% by the morning... that's ridiculous. The second is just the 2 1/2 hours of use today.

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image0(1).png
    image0(1).png
    354.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Reactions: tCC_ and fatTribble

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Mine also drains super fast and I think it’s a flaw with the AOD which actually cranks up the brightness of the ambient light is strong. If only there was a way to switch off auto brightness for the Lock Screen!!!

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
I created an account just to comment on this. I upgraded from an iPhone Xr to a 256Gb iPhone 14P. The battery life on the Xr was amazing when I first got it, but it's a little less now, battery is around 80%, easily gets through a full day. Moving to the iPhone 14 Pro has been an awful experience. The battery life is terrible, like android from 2013-2014 bad (nexus 5). this is the 6th day I've had it now and it doesn't appear to be getting better.

I wiped it on Sunday to see if it would make a difference, everyone was saying it would fix it, but it doesn't appear to have done anything. Here is an example for today. I started to charge it last night around 1:30am with 55% charge and it was only at 97% at 7:30am with a 5 watt charger (that's whats next to my bed). Anyways its 1Pm now, I have 2 1/2 hours of screen time and its at 38%, mostly emails, some reddit, and some phone calls. I doubt this phone can make it to 5PM with its current charge. I thought I was going to get more screen time with this device, but it appears to be way less.

I've attached two photos, the first is when I left it unplugged one night after a 80~% charge, the second night I owned it. I think the battery dropped by 40-50% by the morning... that's ridiculous. The second is just the 2 /12 hours of use today.
I’m having the same issue, battery life no good. I wiped out the phone yesterday to no avail.

I guess we’re going to have to wait until 16.1 rolls out.

Very underwhelming indeed. Good thing they have the 14 day return policy.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Mine also drains super fast and I think it’s a flaw with the AOD which actually cranks up the brightness of the ambient light is strong. If only there was a way to switch off auto brightness for the Lock Screen!!!
I’m currently testing the battery with AoD off and it’s not making a difference.

threluja

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
Love the phone but compared to my iPhone 13 Mini the Battery sucks. Mini I could get nearly two days out of. So far the 14 pro I’ve had to sit on the charger at least twice a day since I’ve had it.

Feels like a massive step backwards. Still hoping it will settle but at the moment a bit sad.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Love the phone but compared to my iPhone 13 Mini the Battery sucks. Mini I could get nearly two days out of. So far the 14 pro I’ve had to sit on the charger at least twice a day since I’ve had it.

Feels like a massive step backwards. Still hoping it will settle but at the moment a bit sad.

Same feeling here. Fingers crossed for 16.1

Reactions: threluja

Tyrone91

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
Today I took it off the charger at 7:00. It is now 22:32. The battery is at 27% after 5 hr and 2 mins of active screen time and 15 mins idle.

Enough to get me through a normal work / quiet day, but I fear I shall have to worry about the stress of carrying around a charger when I am stuck commuting an hour and a half each way to meet friends who live far away and using the phone for photos etc while I meet them *sigh*

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
glad I'm not the only one with battery issues. Going to give it a few more days. I hope it will settle in or a update will come out.

brad_from_accounting

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
glad I'm not the only one with battery issues. Going to give it a few more days. I hope it will settle in or a update will come out.
I'm giving it one more night and I'm returning it. I have a few hours where the battery is dropping by 10%~ with no usage. I wish Apple would give us a way to actually see whats draining the battery. I'm not going to be stuck with a bum phone.

I eventually started charging the phone at 3:20pm when it hit 16% battery life with 3 hours and 30 minutes of on screen usage.

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I figured out my battery drain problem after several days on ios16 (12ProMax). It's the Weather Wallpaper. Evidently it's always checking weather conditions and adjusting the background wallpaper. Solved....for me! IMG_0887.PNG

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Sorry. I encrypted backed up my 13PM on my mac and then I used that to restore this new phone. Here is the battery chart. I am not a newbie to iPhones. I’ve had almost every single iPhone, and I know I am not doing anything wrong. All the settings that waste battery are off. I started this more to just find out if the smaller phones had really bad batteries. Like anyone who had or has a 13 pro, if your battery drops really easily.Coming from the max phones, I can’t remember how bad my last non max phones battery was. I didn’t start this to find out I was doing something wrong, more of if this is common for smaller 3200 mAH batteries or i have a defective battery. That’s all, with that said I am happy with what info I did receive on this. I’m going to give it a week, and if it doesn’t get better I’ll return it and come November when there’s more available Ill go to a 14PM
Yeah that is really bad curve

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yea. I work in a city, so I go on throughout the day and spin the stops at my desk. Then I usually walk 4 miles one at lunch break, 2 miles and another 2 at night with my fiancée. Not like I sit on my butt and do nothing with my life lol
I have a 14 Pro and this is about what I got with my 13 Pro playing PoGo. On Saturday, I played for about 3 hours and on Sunday, for community day, I was at Disneyland and played for about 5 hours. The three hours on Saturday used about 40% and five hours on Sunday used about 80% (higher screen brightness).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.