Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgalloni

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Have the same question as well, has anyone wiped their phone and try if the battery gets better?

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
20% battery use and 35 min of on screen time. This is such a joke. I’m wiping it this evening. I thought it was AoD, but I disabled it and it still drains.
BDCE8132-2687-44C0-823D-A9763E84A3D1.png

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Let us know once you wipe it if it makes a difference. I am getting the feeling that is IOS 16 related
I don’t remember thinking that my 13 Pro Max had suddenly tanked in the week I was on ios16. Plus plenty of people say their batteries are fine and everyone with a 14 is on 16. Weird.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Let us know once you wipe it if it makes a difference. I am getting the feeling that is IOS 16 related
So do I, but I’m eager to know if it’s iOS-related or the device it self. Since we’re in the 14-day return policy window. And it doesn’t seem to be a broad issue.

I did contact Apple yesterday and they ran some diagnostics on the phone, telling me that everything seemed fine from a hardware perspective. So I’m definitely going to try wiping it out. Hopefully that will do the job.

By the way, do you own an Apple Watch? That and my airpods are the only devices paired via Bluetooth.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Well i'm still on an SE2 but iOS16 tanked my battery for about four days. Seems to have stabilised a bit, now heading back to its usual level of "crap", improved from "I've basically got a landline tethered to the wall by a lightning cable". Yes, it was that bad: dropping by about 1% per minute of screentime.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Here's my question: I'm willing to wipe my phone and set it up as new to see if this fixes the issue but I can't work out a few things. Maybe some of you folks can help?

- In the US, we have ONLY e-Sim. I'm with T-Mobile. I transferred across from my 13PM to the 14PM during setup, but what happens if I wipe this phone completely? Will it automatically still retain the e-Sim and just allow me to set it up or will my number disappear into the ether? I have to work so can't be without a phone all day - but wonder if anybody else has had this issue? Bear in mind that I won't be transferring it from another phone like I was before.
To answer this question. If you go to your settings > General. > Erase all Content and settings, once you hit that, it will ask you if you want to remove the esim and restore or if you want to restore and retain the esim. chose that option.

Reactions: Hobbsee

cgalloni

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
I don’t remember thinking that my 13 Pro Max had suddenly tanked in the week I was on ios16. Plus plenty of people say their batteries are fine and everyone with a 14 is on 16. Weird.
Remember all of the ios apps have not been updated to IOS 16 , I could have some apps that other users don't have and those apps could be causing issues. I do have a 13 pro max and did see my battery drain a bit faster after IOS 16. Toms guide battery test gave the 14PM 2 more hours of usage so to me is something related to apps and IOS 16 not being fully developed. Example I did notice my whatsapp running constantly in the background draining the battery . Each user is different. I doubt very much is hardware related especially with the new LTPO screen , new 4nm chip and new modem which are all more efficient and should compensate for the AOD. My 0.2 cents

Carmine Perrone

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
So I guess the question is...what is considered to be 'good' or 'better' battery performance? For instance, how many % per hour would be acceptable with normal use? Are we expecting too much out of a new release because it is a new release?

My battery is draining 3% per hour (on average) which I believe is about average for a phone this size that has so much going on internally...I'm seeing that my Home and lock screen are draining my battery 12% on average over the past 4 days of owning the phone...can't expect it to not affect it at all since it is in fact "always on"

I'm confused why my photos app has been running so much in the background when all of my stuff has been downloaded to the phone already but over time, that will also drop to a trickle

Battery may not be perfect but have to give it at least a week before being able to determine anything...the 13PM and the 14PM may look the same but they are very different devices.

Does your car get optimal fuel mileage within the first 3-4 weeks of purchasing? Break in periods are everywhere and these devices are no exception.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My experience with a 13PM on 15.x, the 16 PB and the first public release of 16 was all roughly the same, and with one exception my experience with a 14PM has been roughly the same as well. I turned off the AOD setting on the 14PM.

The only thing I noticed during the first 24-36 hours of use with the 14PM was that the battery became very hot during the first few charging cycles. In one case, it got hot enough that it quit charging, although it didn't restart.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
To answer this question. If you go to your settings > General. > Erase all Content and settings, once you hit that, it will ask you if you want to remove the esim and restore or if you want to restore and retain the esim. chose that option.
A friend of mine suggested I do a full recovery IOS install. Will this still stay if I do it that way?

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
A friend of mine suggested I do a full recovery IOS install. Will this still stay if I do it th
So I guess the question is...what is considered to be 'good' or 'better' battery performance? For instance, how many % per hour would be acceptable with normal use? Are we expecting too much out of a new release because it is a new release?

My battery is draining 3% per hour (on average) which I believe is about average for a phone this size that has so much going on internally...I'm seeing that my Home and lock screen are draining my battery 12% on average over the past 4 days of owning the phone...can't expect it to not affect it at all since it is in fact "always on"

I'm confused why my photos app has been running so much in the background when all of my stuff has been downloaded to the phone already but over time, that will also drop to a trickle

Battery may not be perfect but have to give it at least a week before being able to determine anything...the 13PM and the 14PM may look the same but they are very different devices.

Does your car get optimal fuel mileage within the first 3-4 weeks of purchasing? Break in periods are everywhere and these devices are no exception.
i think I would just be happy if it were on a par with my 13PM which I would expect at absolute worse case scenario. Bearing in mind that was also running iOS 16 and exactly the same apps because I restored this phone from that one’s backup, and yet the battery was fine.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
I just got home from work, wiping out the iPhone 14Pro as we speak. Downloading iOS 16.0.1 right now, and this time instead of updating from 16.0 > 16.0.1, it'll install a fresh copy of 16.0.1.

I'll keep you posted.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
I just got home from work, wiping out the iPhone 14Pro as we speak. Downloading iOS 16.0.1 right now, and this time instead of updating from 16.0 > 16.0.1, it'll install a fresh copy of 16.0.1.

I'll keep you posted.
Oh cool. Yes pls. Are you doing a full restore through the computer, I take it?

Let me know what that does with the esim at activation if that is what you’re doing and if it still shows if you’re not doing an on-device wipe and restore.

Thanks

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK

My 14 PM is settling down after having used a bit more juice in the first few days (as it always does). Now pretty much on target to be the same as my 13 PM.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Oh cool. Yes pls. Are you doing a full restore through the computer, I take it?

Let me know what that does with the esim at activation if that is what you’re doing and if it still shows if you’re not doing an on-device wipe and restore.

Thanks
Sorry, no e-sim with me. I'm based in Europe and still using the traditional SIM card.

Restore was very fast, from my MacBook, and setup as a new device. Not restoring backups or anything similar.

iCloud is the only thing that's slowly populating my phone with notes, photos, recordings, etc.

I already set up Apple Pay on both my iPhone and Apple Watch.

I'm also observing battery capacity via Coconut Battery and it's been fluctuating.

Currently charging at around 4W via Lightning to USB C, through my MacBook.

I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2022-09-20 a las 19.16.13.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2022-09-20 a las 19.16.13.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Captura de Pantalla 2022-09-20 a las 19.13.48.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2022-09-20 a las 19.13.48.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: phillavelle

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Sorry, no e-sim with me. I'm based in Europe and still using the traditional SIM card.

Restore was very fast, from my MacBook, and setup as a new device. Not restoring backups or anything similar.

iCloud is the only thing that's slowly populating my phone with notes, photos, recordings, etc.

I already set up Apple Pay on both my iPhone and Apple Watch.

I'm also observing battery capacity via Coconut Battery and it's been fluctuating.

Currently charging at around 4W via Lightning to USB C, through my MacBook.

I'll keep you posted.
Watching closely!

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Watching closely!
There isn’t much to say so far. The phone has been syncing mail, photos, etc. For now it has gone from 82% to 75%, with very light use. Obviously it’s indexing and whatnot.

We’ll see how much it drains at night and then during the day.

The only 3rd party app I’ve installed is WhatsApp. I’ll download apps one by one to see if we can rule out whichever could be causing a drain.

Also AoD is activated, location servicies disabled, airplane mode activated, background app refresh disabled, haptic keyboard enabled, sounds muted, auto brightness off and email fetch set to manual.

In addition, I want to mention that I haven’t charged the phone up to 100%. Im carrying out small charges between the 30-80% zone and so far (only 4 cycles), it has charged through my MacBook. This is a habit I developed from my Apple Watch: 30min charge while showering and shaving in the morning.

I’ll post more info in the morning!

Attachments

• 0D37EB4A-F13C-422D-A8C4-6CFDEEBBA511.png
    0D37EB4A-F13C-422D-A8C4-6CFDEEBBA511.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 69

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
A friend of mine suggested I do a full recovery IOS install. Will this still stay if I do it that way?
If this is of any help, I did dfu mode re-install on the 13 pro max when i had esim and it retain the esim after the dfu restore as well.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
I did a full wipe today from my computer and decided I would set the phone up as new.

What a way to lose the will to live.

Aside from the fact that I didn’t realise just how many apps I have on my phone (and these are the ones that I use), I ran into all kinds of irritations.

Among them, I lost my watch backup because that is tied to an iPhone backup meaning I lost (literally) years of records of hikes and runs etc.

Plus the personalised ringtones I have would have to be reinstalled again.

Then on top of that, the realisation that some apps I love and use are no longer available from the App Store and the only way to get them was from a backup (this is a combination of some apps not being available anymore and others being on the UK App Store which I can no longer access now I live in the USA.)

Anyway, after eight hours and still facing hours more setup, I just cracked and gave up. So restored the phone back from the backup of my iPhone 13 PM.

It probably won’t make a difference but I’ll leave it a few days and hope that maybe it will improve. If not, I’ll send it back and stick with the 13PM.

Be interested to see how everyone else gets on.

cgalloni

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
There isn’t much to say so far. The phone has been syncing mail, photos, etc. For now it has gone from 82% to 75%, with very light use. Obviously it’s indexing and whatnot.

We’ll see how much it drains at night and then during the day.

The only 3rd party app I’ve installed is WhatsApp. I’ll download apps one by one to see if we can rule out whichever could be causing a drain.

Also AoD is activated, location servicies disabled, airplane mode activated, background app refresh disabled, haptic keyboard enabled, sounds muted, auto brightness off and email fetch set to manual.

In addition, I want to mention that I haven’t charged the phone up to 100%. Im carrying out small charges between the 30-80% zone and so far (only 4 cycles), it has charged through my MacBook. This is a habit I developed from my Apple Watch: 30min charge while showering and shaving in the morning.

I’ll post more info in the morning!
how is the phone so far?

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
I did a full wipe today from my computer and decided I would set the phone up as new.

What a way to lose the will to live.

Aside from the fact that I didn’t realise just how many apps I have on my phone (and these are the ones that I use), I ran into all kinds of irritations.

Among them, I lost my watch backup because that is tied to an iPhone backup meaning I lost (literally) years of records of hikes and runs etc.

Plus the personalised ringtones I have would have to be reinstalled again.

Then on top of that, the realisation that some apps I love and use are no longer available from the App Store and the only way to get them was from a backup (this is a combination of some apps not being available anymore and others being on the UK App Store which I can no longer access now I live in the USA.)

Anyway, after eight hours and still facing hours more setup, I just cracked and gave up. So restored the phone back from the backup of my iPhone 13 PM.

It probably won’t make a difference but I’ll leave it a few days and hope that maybe it will improve. If not, I’ll send it back and stick with the 13PM.

Be interested to see how everyone else gets on.
Ouch, that sounded like a bumpy ride. It's a real PITA when it comes to a fresh start, specially when you have specific APPs from different countries. Must of been really frustrating just seeing everything gone. I've never kept such degree of personalization through the years.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
how is the phone so far?
Well, when I woke up at 06.55, the phone was at 70% (from 72% at 23.53 with all radios off), but before leaving the house it dropped to around 66%.

Right now it’s at 33% and I’ve been using it as I would, basically messaging, browsing, mail and almost 5 hours of Music.

Now that it’s down 50% since I took it off the charger yesterday, I’ve added yesterdays use and todays (so far), which adds up to aprox. 3 hrs 6min of SOT and 4hrs 16min of screen off time.

I don’t know if I’ll make the day. I’ll be back home by around 17.45, which is 4 hours from now, and I didn’t bring a charger.

Always on Display is on, and here at work I’m on wifi.

Attachments

• 24B340BF-04AA-487A-8A40-2B97F4017806.png
    24B340BF-04AA-487A-8A40-2B97F4017806.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 83
  • B3AEEBF0-F12F-464A-BB59-DFC1F4B98A8D.png
    B3AEEBF0-F12F-464A-BB59-DFC1F4B98A8D.png
    317 KB · Views: 86
  • 9FC53BBD-A5B6-4C7D-8C67-70018B3A8A78.png
    9FC53BBD-A5B6-4C7D-8C67-70018B3A8A78.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 82

cgalloni

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Well, when I woke up at 06.55, the phone was at 70% (from 72% at 23.53 with all radios off), but before leaving the house it dropped to around 66%.

Right now it’s at 33% and I’ve been using it as I would, basically messaging, browsing, mail and almost 5 hours of Music.

Now that it’s down 50% since I took it off the charger yesterday, I’ve added yesterdays use and todays (so far), which adds up to aprox. 3 hrs 6min of SOT and 4hrs 16min of screen off time.

I don’t know if I’ll make the day. I’ll be back home by around 17.45, which is 4 hours from now, and I didn’t bring a charger.

Always on Display is on, and here at work I’m on wifi.
I charged mine to 99% last night and took of the charger around 7:45 pm. I woke up this morning at 5:10am and the battery was at 96% (it was in sleep mode the whole night which turns off the screen)
right now is 08:08 am and I am at 90%. All of this has been without little to no use of the phone just idle.
At this point I am beginning to think the AOD hits the battery harder than expected. As soon as I begin my day the sleep focus is off and the screen back on AOD I can see the battery going down and fast just being idle

I am waiting for more feedback from other users that have wiped the phone to see if this helped somehow but at this point i don't know what to do !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.