Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
I took mine off the charger at 6:30am. I used my phone slightly less than I normally do and it still dropped pretty quickly.

By 1:30pm, I was down to 50% but I hadn't used it a huge amount. I took a few photos and used a bit of Google Maps/Spotify but this is usage that would never have used that much in my 13PM.

It's now 7:11pm and I'm down to 28% with fairly low usage. What I've noticed is it is still dropping in chunks. It was at 32% and then suddenly, it was at 30% and then 28%.

I also noticed that it won't charge a lot of the time. I have an in car wireless charger and I just drop the phone into that normally. It's not the fastest - but it tends to go up a percent or two on the 13PM. On the 14PM, I just get a message saying charging is paused while the phone cools down.

I'm really sad to do this but I'm going to give It a few more days, see if the update lands and improved anything and if not, I'm returning it. I guess their software updates may fix it down the line and then maybe later in the year, things could improve. But it's just not good enough.

I know there is an argument for giving it time to bed in etc but I remember the 13PM astounding people (myself and reviewers) out of the box from launch. Not like a week or a month later. Apple's messed up here.

Attachments

• PNG image-71FC42067736-1.png
    PNG image-71FC42067736-1.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: aacemyan

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
One final thing to note.. seeing a few people on Twitter saying they've seen a marked improvement with 16.1 beta so I've enrolled in the public beta. Certainly can't be any worse. Worth one final attempt

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
So far today, with AoD turned off, I’m starting to get better battery life.

Off the charger at 07.44 @ 83%
Right now it’s at 69% (12.47)

That’s about 14% use in 5 hours.

Been using music, safari, mail and some messaging.

It definitely feels better.

Attachments

• 4B21B9EC-1BB2-4156-AC00-2EA14B8A57CD.png
    4B21B9EC-1BB2-4156-AC00-2EA14B8A57CD.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 079CB708-46CA-41BD-B586-38C1F7FC8BE7.png
    079CB708-46CA-41BD-B586-38C1F7FC8BE7.png
    307 KB · Views: 92

Brandonlowsk

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2018
So far today, with AoD turned off, I’m starting to get better battery life.

Off the charger at 07.44 @ 83%
Right now it’s at 69% (12.47)

That’s about 14% use in 5 hours.

Been using music, safari, mail and some messaging.

It definitely feels better.
u did a factory wipe?

AndroiOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2016
Flo-Rida
My battery life on my 14 pro max has been underwhelming compared to my 13pm. You can see even over night it drained almost 20% with no obvious app usage Just find my. But even during the day the battery seems to drain much faster than my previous phone. I have turned off the AOD but that didn’t seem to make much of a difference. But looking at the overnight drain I’m feeling like there are some optimization issues with this phone. And the drain you see overnight is with AOD off for the record. Kind of frustrating considering the phone doesn’t seem to run hot or show any obvious signs of issues or rogue apps.

Attachments

• 5C20E9A5-9488-4824-BD9A-7F9F1DE842EE.png
    5C20E9A5-9488-4824-BD9A-7F9F1DE842EE.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 84

Carmine Perrone

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
I've read multiple forums and some say the beta helps, some say no difference. Problem with public beta, there are still so many bugs that it could be compounding on issues that already exist.

I took my phone off the charger this morning at around 445am, it is now 9am and I am sitting at 94% battery with occasional texting and surfing, AOD on and turned fetch schedule off for mail accounts and also disabled automatic app updates for the time being. With new IOS and new phones come many many app updates and if that is constantly running, I'm sure battery life would suffer. For now, I'll update apps in bulk manually until it settles a bit

Just a little over 4 hours to drop 6% is much better than what I've been seeing in the first 5 days. Indexing should be pretty much done by now, so hopefully it starts to calm a little.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I have been using the iPhone 14 pro today and my battery is horrible. Screen time is just over 3 hours and my battery is at 8%. I’m a heavy user, came from a 13 pro max and I don’t understand why this phone is doing this. The only thing i did today was play Pokémon go for 2 and a half hours which is my daily average and my old phone would be around 40% right now. I shut off the AOD too and all the settings are the same as my old phone. Do I have a bad battery? Anyone with an iPhone 14 pro or even a 13 pro, is the battery for this device really this bad? Do I need to go back to the max?

Short battery life issue is not because of iPhone 14, it’s because of iOS 16. I am using iPhone 12 mini since 2 years and the battery life is according to its specs. But as soon as I upgraded to iOS 16 battery life has decreased dramatically. My phone was lying on desk doing nothing and the battery went from 19% to 4% within minutes. Phone gets very hot when charging wirelessly. My phone was working completely fine before iOS 16

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Short battery life issue is not because of iPhone 14, it’s because of iOS 16. I am using iPhone 12 mini since 2 years and the battery life is according to its specs. But as soon as I upgraded to iOS 16 battery life has decreased dramatically. My phone was lying on desk doing nothing and the battery went from 19% to 4% within minutes. Phone gets very hot when charging wirelessly. My phone was working completely fine before iOS 16
Seems like that is the case. So now the question is how quickly will apple fix this because the phone is not usable.

Reactions: Zune55

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
I've read multiple forums and some say the beta helps, some say no difference. Problem with public beta, there are still so many bugs that it could be compounding on issues that already exist.

I took my phone off the charger this morning at around 445am, it is now 9am and I am sitting at 94% battery with occasional texting and surfing, AOD on and turned fetch schedule off for mail accounts and also disabled automatic app updates for the time being. With new IOS and new phones come many many app updates and if that is constantly running, I'm sure battery life would suffer. For now, I'll update apps in bulk manually until it settles a bit

Just a little over 4 hours to drop 6% is much better than what I've been seeing in the first 5 days. Indexing should be pretty much done by now, so hopefully it starts to calm a little.
Hi,
Is this the iPhone 14 pro or pro max, and are you on iOS 16 or 16.1 beta2?

Thanks for the info!

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I've also noticed that the battery indicator has some bugs. It will say 35 percent for example and then I'll pick up the phone 15 minutes later and it will say 28 percent. Then it will stay 28 percent forever. Half baked by Apple. Surprised they let this out in the wild like this.

Reactions: tCC_

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
u did a factory wipe?
Yes, and it’s slightly better.

It went off the charger at 07.44 @83%
Now it’s 16.47 and it’s at 57%

That’s 26% use so far and 8 hours have passed.

It’s getting better.

Attachments

• 56192703-D40E-4DD7-A942-30BE6CD65569.png
    56192703-D40E-4DD7-A942-30BE6CD65569.png
    321.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 307C5CF9-ACD5-484A-A6C9-0846D699F36E.png
    307C5CF9-ACD5-484A-A6C9-0846D699F36E.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 86

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Is there a way to reset the battery tracker to start in the morning when it comes off the charger? My keeps going on a rolling 24 hours where 8 hours is on the charger at night. Makes it hard to interpret.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

You can safely keep automatic app updates on because they‘ll never hit your phone right away. Automatic App Updates are staggered, could be that it takes your device several weeks until an Update is downloaded so this is most definitely not causing any battery issues. My parents devices usually get automatic updates once every week when the device is charging (checking their update list every once in a while to verify).

doyoueverfeel

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2022
Yes, and it’s slightly better.

It went off the charger at 07.44 @83%
Now it’s 16.47 and it’s at 57%

That’s 26% use so far and 8 hours have passed.

It’s getting better.
do you do factory wipe via iPhone settings or iTunes?

brad_from_accounting

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
I just wiped my phone again last night, and put nothing on it, except for my icloud account. It appears the power drain issue isn't happening with minimal stuff on it, so I'm thinking there's some type of bug that's occurring where its doing power intensive stuff off the charger, when maybe in the past it would wait until you were plugged in.

After adding my exchange account power draw went way up, so I'm going to let that settle before I add more stuff.

Reactions: lleial

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
I just wiped my phone again last night, and put nothing on it, except for my icloud account. It appears the power drain issue isn't happening with minimal stuff on it, so I'm thinking there's some type of bug that's occurring where its doing power intensive stuff off the charger, when maybe in the past it would wait until you were plugged in.

After adding my exchange account power draw went way up, so I'm going to let that settle before I add more stuff.
I also have the feeling that it has to do with the stock iOS16.0 that was already preinstalled on the 14s, plus the immediate update to 16.0.1, which could have caused some problems.

Whatever it was, I'm starting to see improvement. Now we must wait for iOS 16.1

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
My battery life on my 14 pro max has been underwhelming compared to my 13pm. You can see even over night it drained almost 20% with no obvious app usage Just find my. But even during the day the battery seems to drain much faster than my previous phone. I have turned off the AOD but that didn’t seem to make much of a difference. But looking at the overnight drain I’m feeling like there are some optimization issues with this phone. And the drain you see overnight is with AOD off for the record. Kind of frustrating considering the phone doesn’t seem to run hot or show any obvious signs of issues or rogue apps.
Hopefully it's a bug in iOS 16 causing the higher drain, because by the specs, the 14 Pro Max should get better battery life than the 13 Pro Max when AOD is turned off... the 14 Pros have chips built on a more efficient process (4 nm vs 5 nm), more efficient memory chips (LPDDR5 vs LPDDR4X), LTPO displays that can refresh at a lower rate (1 hz vs 10 hz, although that's only used for AOD), more efficient Qualcomm modems, and support for a more efficient Bluetooth protocol (5.3 vs 5.0). Other than AOD, the only things I can think of that would lead to less battery life are A) the much brighter display (people might be using higher brightness than they were with the 13 Pros), and B) some kind of bug in iOS 16 that's causing higher than normal drainage.

Reactions: KurtWilde and tCC_

brad_from_accounting

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
Not saying this is the issue, but I noticed once I deleted exchange (turning off the mail didn't make it go down) the power draw went way down after 5 minutes. I then added gmail (80k+ emails, I don't delete), no power draw increase. Does anyone else have exchange mail on their phone?

threluja

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
Whoever said switch off Weather notification on Lock Screen. Thank you. This has made a huge difference to me today. It’s still lower than my 13 mini but it’s miles better with weather app off.

hammered it today and it lasted 12 hours to 18% with this off

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
I installed 16.1 (v2) last night and it seemed to have an immediate improvement.. battery was at 18% and dropped very slowly with constant use.

Took phone off charger this morning at 6:00 and it took almost an hour before it dropped to 99% which was on par with the 13PM.

Seemed to sip power very very slowly over the subsequent hour or two but is now at 78% which is lower than my 13PM would be at this point in the day.

I'm going to see where we're at at the end of the day and gauge it that way. Normally, I end the day at 30ish% after an intense day, but the last few days, I've been in the red way before bed.

I'll give it a few more days to see if the battery beds in with the new OS. Although the weird thing of sitting at a particular level then dropping in chunks still seems to be there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.