Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Forget the stupid x hour screen-on-time results, there's a bug that drains the phone even during light use.
Nobody watches videos 8 hours straight during a workday

Reactions: Ladyc0524

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Ok so I recently put 16.1 beta 2 on my 14 pro max and it seems like the other guy was right. Was at 84% now at 62% with 2 hours and 51 minutes of SOT. that’s the same or better than my 13 pro max
Is it essential that I do a backup before installing this or can I just go for it?

AndroiOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2016
Flo-Rida
Is it essential that I do a backup before installing this or can I just go for it?
I just signed up and upgraded right from the phone. I left it unplugged over night and it barely dropped at all. Compared to over 20 percent before. I’m now confident that this has corrected the issue for me.

Attachments

• 81ADB5F5-50B9-4B8A-B016-370FE0331962.png
    81ADB5F5-50B9-4B8A-B016-370FE0331962.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 94

AndroiOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2016
Flo-Rida
Forget the stupid x hour screen-on-time results, there's a bug that drains the phone even during light use.
That’s funny because all of this happened at work 😂. Either way whatever you consider light use over night it barely dropped so I think whatever issue it was has been addressed. At least in my experience.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Things are better today for me. Updated to 16.0.2 this am. Decided to skip the beta. Took off the charger at 930 am, its now 630 pm and I'm at 66 percent. It's been a fairly typical day of phone calls, emails, texts and some browsing. Says 4 hours of SOT. Much more in line with expectations.

Reactions: Lilu21

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
Things are better today for me. Updated to 16.0.2 this am. Decided to skip the beta. Took off the charger at 930 am, its now 630 pm and I'm at 66 percent. It's been a fairly typical day of phone calls, emails, texts and some browsing. Says 4 hours of SOT. Much more in line with expectations.

Yeah, without going into detail, battery life is much better for me today. I also updated to 16.0.2 last night. It’s gotta be something to do with the software and the new A16 processor. Hopefully will only get better.

Lilu21

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
USA
That’s good to hear. I’m still having the same issue. Even after restoring and setting up as new and even w the new update. Looked at my battery in the settings and it just doesn’t make sense to me. Used 31% of batter usage bring in safari for only 6 min. 7min on screen time in settings and that was 25%. My 12pro was not like this at all. If anything I expect it to be a bit better. Even turned off AOD and made sure all the other features/ settings have been changed to optimize battery usage. I’m going to get mine exchanged. But glad yours is working out for you!

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Reposting what I posted in another thread:

I'm extremely unhappy with my battery life on my 14 Pro. I'm averaging about 4-5 hours of SOT. I usually can get 8-9 hours of SOT with a new iPhone. I used my camera for 4 minutes total today and it says it's used up 19% of my battery. Home & Lock Screen has used up 9%, and I don't even have AOD on.

I'm not one to be this melodramatic, but iOS 16 is trash. It ruined battery life on my 13 Pro and now my new 14 Pro too. I think I'm going to start hunting Apple Stores 24/7 to get a Pro Max before my return period ends for the 14 Pro next Thursday. I just can't deal with a brand new phone that drains battery this fast. At this rate, I'm going to be charging twice a day and have 80% battery health in a year.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyc0524

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
68232627-13AA-4773-8224-C2EA7642FA03.png
Mine is also trash. Installed 16.1 yesterday and I’m so disappointed. Don’t know how much to blame the new phone or the OS, but it definitely has taken a lot of excitement and joy out of upgrading this year.

Here’s my graph. Started using my phone around 8am and had to top it off at 2:30. Went from 45% back down to 20% in 3hrs.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
View attachment 2077957 Mine is also trash. Installed 16.1 yesterday and I’m so disappointed. Don’t know how much to blame the new phone or the OS, but it definitely has taken a lot of excitement and joy out of upgrading this year.

Here’s my graph. Started using my phone around 8am and had to top it off at 2:30. Went from 45% back down to 20% in 3hrs.
A couple of things. Apple will replace the phone for you if you think it’s hardware. They won’t argue too much. Also Microsoft teams is a battery killer. I avoid it like the plague. Not saying this is acceptable but once I see teams alarm bells go off. Worst. App. Ever.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Reposting what I posted in another thread:

I'm extremely unhappy with my battery life on my 14 Pro. I'm averaging about 4-5 hours of SOT. I usually can get 8-9 hours of SOT with a new iPhone. I used my camera for 4 minutes total today and it says it's used up 19% of my battery. Home & Lock Screen has used up 9%, and I don't even have AOD on.

I'm not one to be this melodramatic, but iOS 16 is trash. It ruined battery life on my 13 Pro and now my new 14 Pro too. I think I'm going to start hunting Apple Stores 24/7 to get a Pro Max before my return period ends for the 14 Pro next Thursday. I just can't deal with a brand new phone that drains battery this fast. At this rate, I'm going to be charging twice a day and have 80% battery health in a year.
4 to 5 is android level garbage. I wouldn’t return it necessarily just set up a genius appointment and get it replaced.

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
A couple of things. Apple will replace the phone for you if you think it’s hardware. They won’t argue too much. Also Microsoft teams is a battery killer. I avoid it like the plague. Not saying this is acceptable but once I see teams alarm bells go off. Worst. App. Ever.
Unfortunately I need it to use Teams for work so I can’t avoid it. My 13 pro under similar circumstances didn’t have such issues.
And FYI my pro has AOD off, no Lock Screen widgets, hey siri off, crash detection off, etc.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
4 to 5 is android level garbage. I wouldn’t return it necessarily just set up a genius appointment and get it replaced.

Thank you for the recommendation. Tbh, I don't think Genius or a replacement will be able to do anything. iOS 16 made my 13 Pro, which previously had outstanding battery life, just as bad, and I've seen quite a few posts of people with 14 Pros with similar battery life to mine. I just think iOS 16 is a mess, and I don't know that there will be a solution besides waiting for Apple to fix it in a future release.

Reactions: Borophyll0520

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Unfortunately I need it to use Teams for work so I can’t avoid it. My 13 pro under similar circumstances didn’t have such issues.
And FYI my pro has AOD off, no Lock Screen widgets, hey siri off, crash detection off, etc.
Yeah that’s no good. I’d probably say wait for 16.1 and then demand an exchange.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
Do any of you think that this could be a hardware issue? What would it be? Bad batteries? Or is it most likely bad software interacting with the new phones?

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
Before the 14 Pro I had the 11 for 3 years and I never cared too much to dive into the numbers regarding battery and usage. I for sure needed to charge my phone overnight and top-up during the day so it was pretty carefree when I would charge and for how long. Most days were routine with access to charging anyway so it wasn't a big deal. I guess it's something about a new phone that has me going crazy over the numbers when this wasn't a habit at all the past 3 years.

This is right before going to sleep and putting my phone on charge overnight. Yesterday the phone was on battery from about 8 AM to 12:30 AM, finishing at 21%. I'm conflicted because yes, this is providing all-day battery but also I find myself deliberately trying to conserve battery by using my Mac or TV for things that I might normally use my phone for, or just simply using the phone less. I don't know how 4.5 hours screen active time is and if I'm told that this is just how it's going to be, then fine I can accept it and I'll just top-up during the day like before to be more liberal with phone usage.

Edit: I'll add that my typical usage is listening to downloaded music, messaging, Instagram, Internet browsing, checking some emails, maybe on average 20 minutes of YouTube, and that's typically it. I feel like my usage is not intensive.

IMG_4625.jpeg
IMG_4626.jpeg

Some other factors:

- This 14 Pro was set up direct phone-to-phone from my 11. I have read about indexing here and there and while I don't know too much about it it's now been a week so I would assume the phone has finished indexing. My old 11 was only 64gb and my iCloud is 50gb, so even if those were completely maxed out it's not like I have a ton of files or data or photos that require indexing still... maybe?

- AOD and keyboard haptic feedback are both enabled. Until there's definitive evidence that these features drastically reduce battery life, I'll keep them on accepting that they have to have some sort of impact on the battery.

- Charging is done overnight as you can see in screenshot. 20W charger plugged into a MagSafe battery pack that I treat as a MagSafe charger.

- Updated to 16.0.1 on Day 1, and then updated 16.0.2 overnight of the day it was released.

Last edited:

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Before the 14 Pro I had the 11 for 3 years and I never cared too much to dive into the numbers regarding battery and usage. I for sure needed to charge my phone overnight and top-up during the day so it was pretty carefree when I would charge and for how long. Most days were routine with access to charging anyway so it wasn't a big deal. I guess it's something about a new phone that has me going crazy over the numbers when this wasn't a habit at all the past 3 years.

This is right before going to sleep and putting my phone on charge overnight. Yesterday the phone was on battery from about 8 AM to 12:30 AM, finishing at 21%. I'm conflicted because yes, this is providing all-day battery but also I find myself deliberately trying to conserve battery by using my Mac or TV for things that I might normally use my phone for, or just simply using the phone less. I don't know how 4.5 hours screen active time is and if I'm told that this is just how it's going to be, then fine I can accept it and I'll just top-up during the day like before to be more liberal with phone usage.

View attachment 2078594 View attachment 2078596

Some other factors:

- This 14 Pro was set up direct phone-to-phone from my 11. I have read about indexing here and there and while I don't know too much about it it's now been a week so I would assume the phone has finished indexing. My old 11 was only 64gb and my iCloud is 50gb, so even if those were completely maxed out it's not like I have a ton of files or data or photos that require indexing still... maybe?

- AOD and keyboard haptic feedback are both enabled. Until there's definitive evidence that these features drastically reduce battery life, I'll keep them on accepting that they have to have some sort of impact on the battery.

- Charging is done overnight as you can see in screenshot. 20W charger plugged into a MagSafe battery pack that I treat as a MagSafe charger.

- Updated to 16.0.1 on Day 1, and then updated 16.0.2 overnight of the day it was released.
You should not accept 4.5 hours of screen time. No way. That’s literally 1/2 of what we should be getting. The entire reason to buy a walled garden iPhone is to get killer battery life (at least for me). If I wanted 5 hours I’d go back to the Fold which is a far more exciting device.

Borophyll0520

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
New York

View attachment 2078594 View attachment 2078596

Some other factors:

Something is not right with ios16. My old 13pro use to get 8hrs screen on time and end the day with 35%. The slope of the battery chart level over time was wayy less steep compared to what we’re getting now in ios16

I upgraded the 13 pro to iOS 16 and my battery graph began to look just like yours. Then the 14 pro I received had the same battery woes as the 13 pro. Ended up returning the 14 pro due to camera issues and now have the max, so hopefully the extra capacity will make up for the awful software release.

I’m curious if anyone can see if the display is forced into 120hrz refresh all the time in ios16, causing unnecessary battery losses with the screen on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.