Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Sooo, after returning both the reg 15 pro and then pro max, I think the best phone this cycle is the 15 plus, this is the one I’m keeping…. Went from a 1.7k invoice (PM 512gb Apple care) down to a 1k invoice (Plus 256gb) with the switch

Benefits

Endless battery
48mp camera!
Matte glass on the back feels like a pro now!
Lighter than pm
Easier to hold than pm
Aluminum looks better than titanium this gen
screen is easier on eyes
Feels just as fast as pm
Design feels better (I got black)
Feels new due to the dynamic island

Cons

Missing telephoto (I have old 13pro still and canon r6 with real telephoto lenses)
Missing promotion (not a deal breaker)

Keep in mind I’m also keeping my original 13 pro to swap back to on the weekends

Weird generation when this might be the best choice!

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Glad you found the perfect one for you in the range! :)

I tried a 14 Plus in the store next to my 13 Pro Max some weeks ago and I couldn’t stand the fact that I could see the 60Hz screen now (felt like when I put my 13 PM in Low Power mode), so got myself a 15 PM and very happy with it,

The 15 Plus definitely delivers a lot value for the money.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I’m a little confused. Price I can understand. But size and battery life, Pro Max has a smaller footprint, 3 hours more battery life

Both are great phones, but the comparison on battery and size a confusing.
From my direct experience

The 15 plus feels WAY lighter and easier to hold, almost weightless in your hand compared to the PM, and it’s thinner. Holding it is much more enjoyable.

It also has a longer battery life in real world use

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
compared to 12 pro max is 15 plus have any inferior specs? am i gonna miss on anything from 12 pro max on 15 plus?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
From my direct experience

The 15 plus feels WAY lighter and easier to hold, almost weightless in your hand compared to the PM, and it’s thinner. Holding it is much more enjoyable.

It also has a longer battery life in real world use

Yeah, I was surprised last year with how much lighter the 14 Plus felt compared to the Pro Max. It's a great phone for sure. I just wonder if enough people will want it this year for Apple to keep it around. Last year it just seemed like an after thought.

locksmack

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
compared to 12 pro max is 15 plus have any inferior specs? am i gonna miss on anything from 12 pro max on 15 plus?
Lidar and the telephoto lens are the only things I can think of. Maybe it has less RAM? I’m not sure.

antiprotest

Suspended
Apr 19, 2010
I know many people don't care about always on display, but for me it is the thing that has made the greatest difference since Face ID, so I need the Pro version.

My phone is on the desk next to me most of the day instead of in my pocket, so this lets me just glance at it for notification, time, weather, etc. without having to touch it or pick it up.

Sticking with 14 this time though.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I tried switching from the 13 Pro Max to the 15 Plus.

The phone is a wonderful device (light feeling, matte anti-fingerprint design, 48mp camera, 2000nit screen, etc)… I just personally couldn’t get past the lack of promotion / 60hz display.

I know for most who get the 15 Plus this won’t make a difference for them, but for me the smoothness of the 120hz display was really striking and makes using my phone feel much faster.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
My Pro Max would probably have similar battery life at 60Hz but I wouldn't be able to stand looking at it now that i've had 120Hz for 3 years
I still own the 13 pro with promotion. Haven’t touched it yet since getting this 2nd phone.

Reactions: Barbareren

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I agree, the 15 Plus is a great phone. With the upgraded cameras, dynamic island the phone feels fresh. But I am thrilled with my 15 Pro Max. ProMotion is a deal breaker for me. Always on Display is awesome, I take a lot of pictures and the 15 Pro Max inspires me to take even more, the titanium looks and feels premium and with the natural titanium finish it’s a stunning phone, and the action button is a nice to have feature that I’ve unexpectedly enjoyed using.

In my opinion, you really should be comparing a 256GB 15 Plus to 256GB 15 Pro Max. For $200 you give up ProMotion, A17 Pro, always on display, 2GB of RAM, action button, 3rd camera with associated software like ProRAW, ProRes, faster autofocus w/ LiDAR, and USB-C 3.0. I realize many of those aren’t your priority, but that’s a lot of extra hardware for $200 with negligible battery life increase for the 15 Plus. If you’re truly running your phone all day down to zero, you should probably charge at least once.

In either case, congrats on the phone. The 15 and 15 Plus are nice upgrades this year no doubt!

Last edited:

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Better overall value is the 15 plus. Better phone is 15PM. Doubt it there's many people using the 15PM camera features to its full potential. This past Sunday I was at the dolphins vs giants game. Let me tell you the new zoom lens made a difference in many shots. Overall I was impressed. Regardless I'm not a shooter or processional. I'm just a regular user.

Last edited:
Reactions: kp98077
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.