Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
So the camera control button is literally just a plastic button? They make it sound more special and complicated than that.
It’s sapphire. From Apple:

IMG_6193.jpeg

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
there's a reason they have gone for the big cutouts watch this how the capture button works

Yeah, this is exactly what I was wondering when I saw the two takes on a cutout across various cases. I had a feeling there was a reason for such a huge cutout on some. Maybe it'll just come down to personal preference as always!

Not sure why it feels like we're reinventing the wheel here though, since Android phones (and thus cases) have apparently had this going on for a while.

Reactions: Surfsalot

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
Like the look of the Ringke Rugged Gear but fear it'll be as flimsy as the Onyx last gen.
Also....cut out.

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 11.57.54 am.png

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Wow so even the otterbox cactus and defender have the cut out … why would anyone buy a case with a cut out if apple can do it covered ? I may stick with the silicone and clear case until manufacturers fix the cases…

japjoe7

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I puchased this one for the 16 Pro Max. I have one on my 13 Pro Plus and really like it. The thin cutout near the charging port isn't flexable like others I've had. The magnets are very strong as well.

TORRAS Magnetic for iPhone 16 Pro Max Case

Screenshot 2024-09-10 082245.png

And, this screen protector. I've used this brand for quite a few phones and I've never had a problem. I have Symmetry OCD and these screen line up perfectly during install. They are cheap too. They will have coupon codes sometimes that make a 2-pack under $5.

amFilm Auto-Alignment OneTouch for iPhone 16 Pro Max [6.9''] Screen Protector + Camera Lens Protector

Screenshot 2024-09-10 082905.png

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I had planned on going spigen but they’ve got awful cut outs for the thin fit and liquid air where they seem to have just removed the back lip of the case.

It looks like apple and otterbox are the only real choices. I always find silicone cases too slippery though.

Largest iPhone ever in a bar of soap case doesn’t appeal to me.

The ringke cut out isn’t bad at all though.

Last edited:

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Heavily considering the Mous Clarity 3.0 for my iPhone 16 Pro Max. Never owned a Mouse, but it reminds me of the Phone Rebel (they don’t make clear cases this year) and the Ghost (drama!)

Spent around 300 EUR worth of cases last year, so better make a good decision in one time. I will give it some thought.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
The smartish cut outs are horrific either! I’m gonna wait till they’re on Amazon though cos I’m not pay £16 for shipping.

amazingpupil

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
Heavily considering the Mous Clarity 3.0 for my iPhone 16 Pro Max. Never owned a Mouse, but it reminds me of the Phone Rebel (they don’t make clear cases this year) and the Ghost (drama!)

Spent around 300 EUR worth of cases last year, so better make a good decision in one time. I will give it some thought.
This is the one I bought for that same reason. More up front, but if it's as nice as it looks, it's worth it. Plus, they did a product video where they changed a lot from the Clarity 2.0. I didn't have that either, but it seems like a lot of the largest criticisms (thicker, not much camera protection, glossy and slippery) were addressed in the 3.0.

Reactions: DennisdeWit

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
I puchased this one for the 16 Pro Max. I have one on my 13 Pro Plus and really like it. The thin cutout near the charging port isn't flexable like others I've had. The magnets are very strong as well.

TORRAS Magnetic for iPhone 16 Pro Max Case

View attachment 2415117
Yeah, that is the one I was zeroing in on as well until I can get comfortable that Nomad knows what they are doing with the leather cases for this series. Affordable but apparently very well respected. Can you tell whether that's a cutout or a capacitive cover for the CC button? Looks like a cover...

71AuFnWkRwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: steckw1

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, that is the one I was zeroing in on as well until I can get comfortable that Nomad knows what they are doing with the leather cases for this series. Affordable but apparently very well respected. Can you tell whether that's a cutout or a capacitive cover for the CC button? Looks like a cover...

That's a really nice case. I would consider it for the price. However, again, does it have a conductive layer in the camera control to communicate finger gestures? Companies are not coming out and putting that in their specs.

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
That's a really nice case. I would consider it for the price. However, again, does it have a conductive layer in the camera control to communicate finger gestures? Companies are not coming out and putting that in their specs.
It really looks like it in the photo but, as much detail as they provide about the case, I see no mention. I'll take one for the team and get one delivered today. Will report back.

Reactions: ryansebiz

japjoe7

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011

From what I can tell in the pic it has a little indent and not fully flush with the button. I'll have it today so I'll take a pic and post it here.

Screenshot 2024-09-10 091102.png

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
It really looks like it in the photo but, as much detail as they provide about the case, I see no mention. I'll take one for the team and get one delivered today. Will report back.

Excellent. Look forward to it.

Here is something everyone in this thread should be paying attention to. I don't think it is being stressed enough

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Anyone know if any footage of the Apple cases online? I really want to see what Stone Grey looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.