Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the iPhone 16 series is still months away from launching, an early rumor about an all-new iPhone 17 model has now surfaced.

iPhone-15-Colors-yellow.jpg

In a research note with investment firm Haitong this week, analyst Jeff Pu said Apple is planning a so-called "iPhone 17 Slim" model that would replace the Plus model in the lineup. Pu said this model will feature around a 6.6-inch display, a slimmer design, an A18 or A19 chip, 8GB of RAM, a 24-megapixel front camera, and a 48-megapixel telephoto camera.

More specifically, display industry analyst Ross Young said this iPhone 17 model will have a 6.55-inch display. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Plus has a 6.7-inch display.

Pu expects the iPhone 17 Slim to have an aluminum chassis, rather than a titanium casing like the Pro models. He expects the device to have some external design changes, but he did not share any specific details.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 17 lineup in September 2025, so some of these reported features could change.

Article Link: 'iPhone 17 Slim' With Smaller Display Rumored to Launch Next Year

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gusmula

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Strange. So this is aimed at people who want a bigger phone than the base model and the non-Max Pro, but prioritize low weight over anything else? Are there that many people who want that?

Almost sounds to me like they're struggling with their "fourth option". Polls on this site reveal the Plus is the least popular phone of the four models, just as the Mini was. People want the base model, it's the cheapest and gets you in the door of the new technology, and they want the Pros. But they tried "smaller base model" and it didn't sell well. Then they tried "larger base model". Now they're trying "slimmer base model". Maybe this time they'll strike gold?

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
"Smaller display"?!? I will believe when I see it. As of now, just another gimmick to get to convert the Android population to Apple ecosystem. I use Apple products. But seriously....

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
This would be awesome. The Plus and Pro Max are pretty wide, keeping the height the same but making it narrower could be great.

Would be weird to only have one iPhone with a different aspect ratio though, and I can’t really see them using Slim for the name

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
We do NOT need to go back to slim phones! Keep the same thickness, optimize internal space and add bigger batteries!

hqdefault.jpg
Disagree! This is a good move for Apple. Achieve the platonic ideal of thin and light design for the regular iPhone line (I miss the iPhone 6 design) and maintain the current thicker functionality for the Pro line.

I would definitely buy an iPhone 17 slim and add a new phone line on day one if they did this while keeping my 15 Pro Max.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This feels like an odd rumor. I can see them moving the differentiate screen sizes more (i.e. with the 17 lineup there will be a 6.1, 6.3, 6.6 and 6.9 inch iPhone), but I don't get the slim part? Is there a lot of demand for a plus sized iPhone with a thinner profile?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.