Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I actually would prefer thinner and lighter phones. More comfortable to hold and I would not miss the battery life. Battery life at least in my opinion is over kill at this point. I also want to see the rounded sides come back.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

marktharriman

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024

While the iPhone 16 series is still months away from launching, an early rumor about an all-new iPhone 17 model has now surfaced.

iPhone-15-Colors-yellow.jpg

In a research note with investment firm Haitong this week, analyst Jeff Pu said Apple is planning a so-called "iPhone 17 Slim" model that would replace the Plus model in the lineup. Pu said this model will feature around a 6.6-inch display, a slimmer design, an A18 or A19 chip, 8GB of RAM, a 24-megapixel front camera, and a 48-megapixel telephoto camera.

More specifically, display industry analyst Ross Young said this iPhone 17 model will have a 6.55-inch display. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Plus has a 6.7-inch display.

Pu expects the iPhone 17 Slim to have an aluminum chassis, rather than a titanium casing like the Pro models. He expects the device to have some external design changes, but he did not share any specific details.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 17 lineup in September 2025, so some of these reported features could change.

Article Link: 'iPhone 17 Slim' With Smaller Display Rumored to Launch Next Year If this means the first thin and light iPhone in years, I'll buy it. My 13 Pro was way too heavy. My 15 Pro is lighter but even thicker. There's no harm in them offering this option if it doesn't compromise the Pro models.

While the iPhone 16 series is still months away from launching, an early rumor about an all-new iPhone 17 model has now surfaced.

iPhone-15-Colors-yellow.jpg

In a research note with investment firm Haitong this week, analyst Jeff Pu said Apple is planning a so-called "iPhone 17 Slim" model that would replace the Plus model in the lineup. Pu said this model will feature around a 6.6-inch display, a slimmer design, an A18 or A19 chip, 8GB of RAM, a 24-megapixel front camera, and a 48-megapixel telephoto camera.

More specifically, display industry analyst Ross Young said this iPhone 17 model will have a 6.55-inch display. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Plus has a 6.7-inch display.

Pu expects the iPhone 17 Slim to have an aluminum chassis, rather than a titanium casing like the Pro models. He expects the device to have some external design changes, but he did not share any specific details.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 17 lineup in September 2025, so some of these reported features could change.

Article Link: 'iPhone 17 Slim' With Smaller Display Rumored to Launch Next Year
If this means the first thin and light iPhone in years, I'll buy it. My 13 Pro was way too heavy, and while 15 Pro is noticeably lighter, it's even thicker. There's no harm in them offering this option so long as it doesn't compromise the Pro models.

Reactions: ab2c4

marktharriman

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
I actually would prefer thinner and lighter phones. More comfortable to hold and I would not miss the battery life. Battery life at least in my opinion is over kill at this point. I also want to see the rounded sides come back.
Yes, thank you! Thin, light, and ergonomic. Give me the battery life of an 11 Pro and I'll be satisfied.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The title of this article is so confusing! One needs to read the whole article to understand that a “smaller” screen refers to comparison with iPhone Plus and not current 6,1” models. 🤷🏻‍♂️

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
and a 48-megapixel telephoto camera.
Is the Pro model even rumored to get this feature? I thought it was only on the ultra wide this year. Would love to get 48mp on the telephoto on my Pro! Would be strange for a “lower” model to have a better feature.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Bring back the mini, the plus and 'slim' are just bigger phones that are too close to the pro lineup.
Agreed. This is just all the worst qualities of the Pro phones (i.e. way too big) and none of the good qualities (telephoto lens). It's probably not going to have a ProMotion display either.

MercuryNL

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2022
I would buy the iphone 17 slim instantly. Hope this isn't just a rumour. iPhones are getting too thick.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Going to ditch my Max phone - I just can't stand how heavy and large it is. Will be going to regular pro phone.

Reactions: ab2c4

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
We do NOT need to go back to slim phones! Keep the same thickness, optimize internal space and add bigger batteries!

hqdefault.jpg
Maybe you don't, but maybe others do want that. You're not legally obligated to buy a slim iPhone if one comes out, you know.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Even in hypothetical future timelines, is there a more iconic duo than Apple and putting 8 GB in brand-new devices? :p

(meanwhile, Chinese OEMs are currently putting 16 GB of RAM in their flagships today... I'm sure that doesn't affect Apple at all though.)
Oh calm down. Whatever the amount of RAM in the 15 Pro is, it works brilliantly. Thank god we don't have access to stats on (clutches pearls) virtual memory on iOS, or you all would be absolutely losing your ****. You think the reason China market share has gone down is because of RAM? Sure, sure it is 😂

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
“As long as the previous generation’s cases don’t fit we’re in good shape.” - Tim Cook probably.

Makes no sense

Strange. So this is aimed at people who want a bigger phone than the base model and the non-Max Pro, but prioritize low weight over anything else? Are there that many people who want that?

Almost sounds to me like they're struggling with their "fourth option". Polls on this site reveal the Plus is the least popular phone of the four models, just as the Mini was. People want the base model, it's the cheapest and gets you in the door of the new technology, and they want the Pros. But they tried "smaller base model" and it didn't sell well. Then they tried "larger base model". Now they're trying "slimmer base model". Maybe this time they'll strike gold?

Why thinner? I don't hear people complaining about their phone being too thick, they're frustrated the battery dies so quickly...

I can see what's happening here. There are too many people buying the iPhone plus who are looking for screen size and battery life. Apple would rather push a percentage of them to the Pro Max model. To this end they are leaving the Plus screen size below the Pro Max screen size and slashing the battery life by making the phone thinner. I have no doubt that they will spin this as being a lightwight phone, but it's all about increase the average selling price (ASP) of iPhones to counter the ever-falling unit sales.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
I can see what's happening here. There are too many people buying the iPhone plus who are looking for screen size and battery life. Apple would rather push a percentage of them to the Pro Max model. To this end they are leaving the Plus screen size below the Pro Max screen size and slashing the battery life by making the phone thinner. I have no doubt that they will spin this as being a lightwight phone, but it's all about increase the average selling price (ASP) of iPhones to counter the ever-falling unit sales.
"too many people buying the iPhone plus" it's currently their worst-selling model, though. And if this was designed to address the Plus's shortcomings, wouldn't it be closer to the Plus/Pro-Max in size instead of a little smaller than the standard model? [edit] I'm stupid, this is indeed between normy and Plus size. Weird.

I think they're just trying to take another crack at the Mini, which makes me sad because the Mini was already perfect.

Last edited:

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
No, I mean I want a smaller iPhone but… slim? It sounds too basic to be official naming, and it is going to be disaster, almost comical if they actually call it “Slim”.

I imagine the keynote and Tim Cook or maybe Phill Schiller say something like “We decided to put the iPhone on a diet. HAHHahahah. So here it is, slim iPhone”.

Reactions: gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.