Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gfive

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2007
Clarksville, VA
Hmm i know the year that I bought a new iPhone every year… than once every two years and now…. I think i’ll wait until something really news comes around.. got the iphone 15 max pro now… but could have kept my iphone 13 max pro…. So guess next one I buy will be the iPhone 20…. Really nothing happens (yeah before all responses, things change but not really… better camera because overall the cameras getting better… same for battery etc. But overall the iphone did not change at all the last 8 years

GucciBeltReceipt

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Strange. So this is aimed at people who want a bigger phone than the base model and the non-Max Pro, but prioritize low weight over anything else? Are there that many people who want that?

Almost sounds to me like they're struggling with their "fourth option". Polls on this site reveal the Plus is the least popular phone of the four models, just as the Mini was. People want the base model, it's the cheapest and gets you in the door of the new technology, and they want the Pros. But they tried "smaller base model" and it didn't sell well. Then they tried "larger base model". Now they're trying "slimmer base model". Maybe this time they'll strike gold?
Honestly, I wouldn’t be opposed to them just having the regular 17 and then the two sizes of pro. This search for a well selling fourth option just seems a little unnecessary considering sales numbers of the plus and mini over the years.

Last edited:

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
I don't need SLIM.
I need MINI.

EDIT: It's funny when someone disagrees with what I need. Do you know me? Are you living my life?
Maybe after a car accident I lost one hand and have limited functionality in the other one? So maybe I am not ABLE to hold a bigger phone? Did you think about that?

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I like this strategy from Apple. People will either complain about an iPhone being too heavy or too thin, so just give customers both as an option. Something for everyone: iPhone 17, iPhone 17 pro, iPhone 17 slim.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Interesting, I hope this is the case although I'd prefer it for the larger Pro Max as well. Today's phones are just too chunky, although I totally get it and can see the pov of needing more battery life. Still, I'd personally prefer a slimmer phone and an extra magsafe battery for those days I need the extra juice. Hope they also bring back the 6 through 11 wraparound styling to make the phone look/feel less chunky. It's telling that my folding phone puts less stress in my pocket than my iphone Pro max does.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

N69AP

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2021
United States
Apple is planning a so-called "iPhone 17 Slim" model that would replace the Plus model in the lineup. Pu said this model will feature around a 6.6-inch display, a slimmer design, an A18 or A19 chip, 8GB of RAM, a 24-megapixel front camera, and a 48-megapixel telephoto camera.
Is this a typo? If not, that would be quite a departure from the existing model. It would mean the Slim would either be gaining a third camera or losing the ultrawide.

Also, I think the current rumor was that only the 17 Pro Max was supposed to get a 48 MP telephoto camera. It would be surprising to see the Slim get the 48 MP sensor while the Pro would be stuck with the 12 MP sensor for the telephoto.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
We do NOT need to go back to slim phones! Keep the same thickness, optimize internal space and add bigger batteries!

hqdefault.jpg

Meh, that whole bendgate thing was thoroughly debunked.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think they're changing the design for one reason: lower cost. and the iPhone 17 "Slim" may have the same thin bezels as the iPhone 16 Pro models, which means the phone will be physically smaller than the current iPhone 15 Plus model.

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Is it possible something got misinterpreted and this is a foldable? The halves would have to be designed as thinner (slimmer) than usual, otherwise it’d be a thick square just-as-unpocketable lump when folded

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.