Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
From removing the defective one they sent me last night and being able to fold it in half without it break. After I did that I noticed the description says it is a "hybrid" which lead me to that conclusion. Whatever it is, it is NOT glass.
Hmm...interesting. I'll be removing mine fairly soon in order to review some other screen protectors and I will check it out. To be fair, my understanding is that all tempered glass screen protectors contain various layers of materials other than glass. It could be that the Sapphire Defense has more other stuff and less glass than most...just speculating, though...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
From removing the defective one they sent me last night and being able to fold it in half without it break. After I did that I noticed the description says it is a "hybrid" which lead me to that conclusion. Whatever it is, it is NOT glass.
The more I carefully read their marketing jumbo-jumbo, the more I wonder if you aren't correct.

Also, the reviews ARE NOT kind to this product. Many saying the price tag simply isn't justifiable.

To me, it sounds as if Zagg Tried to get the best of both worlds (film & glass), but ended up with a "high-end" product that sacrificed the strength of both instead.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I decided to go with a patchworks itg, hopefully it'll be nice as it's a bit expensive. Should be delivered Sunday so will post back .

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
OK, I removed my Sapphire Defense yesterday, and I have to agree that it is far more flexible than your typical tempered glass screen protector. Not sure exactly what that means, but it is very unusual...

Reactions: willmtaylor

Webb

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Just got my iMOS from eBay:

IMG_1063.jpg

Shipping price was horrendous but really fast. It was nice of the seller to include a free stylus :)

I will apply this once I get my hands on a 7 plus and update.

Will this work with a case ?

Thanks

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Haven't read the last few pages, but wanted to give my Zagg Sapphire thoughts.

First off...this is not glass. From what I can gather, it is their HDX protector with the sapphire crystals infused. I love Zagg. I've used them for years. But I feel like I've kinda been duped on this one. The oleophobic is less than desirable. There are very small places that will not adhere. Given the premium pricing of this product...I expected more. I will probably end up "downgrading" to the glass in the near future.

This would explain why it comes with a squeegee. I've installed a million tempered glass protectors over the years and not a single one came with a squeegee. Can you post a picture showing the Sapphire Defense folded in half?
[doublepost=1478958723][/doublepost]
OK, I removed my Sapphire Defense yesterday, and I have to agree that it is far more flexible than your typical tempered glass screen protector. Not sure exactly what that means, but it is very unusual...

What protector is next for you?

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
I think my iPhone 7 screen has more curve than usual because every screen protector that i've tried has resulted in the 'halo' effect.

Thinking of getting it replaced. Anyone else had a similar experience?

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I think my iPhone 7 screen has more curve than usual because every screen protector that i've tried has resulted in the 'halo' effect.

Thinking of getting it replaced. Anyone else had a similar experience?

I did! On my iphone 6S last year!! Every tempered glass I installed halo'ed. Except just one, the Anker Glassguard.

Reactions: meteoreos

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012

Can you fold it in half without it breaking?

awmstone

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2015
Redondo Beach, CA
They sent me the following email regarding my Amazon return:
"Hello friend,

So sorry for this issue, you're the regular customer in my store.
And we would like give you the best service and quality items.

Now the new update version screen protector has been released, if you can give us some days, we will send the new one to you, fine?
And for the old type, you needn't return it.

Please confirm it, hope to hear from you soon.

Regard
GDS"

I replied I wasn't interested and just wanted my money back. And that's really all there is to it at this point. I mean - what is "SOME DAYS" anyway.

I'm another "victim" of the GD Smith "IceMax." I got their replacement version for free and it is garbage. I am loyal at this point to the D&P 3D protector.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    902.2 KB · Views: 221

bmdub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Knoxville, TN
This would explain why it comes with a squeegee. I've installed a million tempered glass protectors over the years and not a single one came with a squeegee. Can you post a picture showing the Sapphire Defense folded in half?

It will be a while. Gonna keep it for a while and then go back to the Glass+ from Zagg.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Can you fold it in half without it breaking?
I didn't push it quite that far, but it flexes far more than any tempered glass screen protector I've ever encountered.
[doublepost=1479040249][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1478958723][/doublepost]
I'm not sure the squeegee had anything to do with the screen protector being so flexible. It would have gone on fine without the squeegee...I think the squeegee was just a fun gimmick.

What protector is next for you?
I took it off to review the Thule Atmos X4, which comes with an adhesive screen protector. After that, however, it will probably be the Imos...
[doublepost=1479040292][/doublepost]
Look forward to seeing what you think.
I'll be reviewing that one soon as well...

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I received and installed the patchworks itg and I'm extremely disappointed in it. It has a halo around the entire top section and a large air bubble that will not go away. I emailed their customer service asking for a replacement, any screen protector should install better than this but especially for the price it should be WAY better than it is. I know tech armor has a lifetime replacement but I actually ordered a 2nd corning2 protector, intending to install it on my wife's phone. Decided my wife can wait and installed it on mine (2nd one from Tech armor) and it's perfect.

So, my tally so far is EveryBody else = bad
Tech armor is 2 for 2 in perfect screen protectors.

For anybody still looking, I'd say go with this first and then try others if for whatever reason you don't like it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J4KP2KE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: nmeed

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I received and installed the patchworks itg and I'm extremely disappointed in it. It has a halo around the entire top section and a large air bubble that will not go away. I emailed their customer service asking for a replacement, any screen protector should install better than this but especially for the price it should be WAY better than it is. I know tech armor has a lifetime replacement but I actually ordered a 2nd corning2 protector, intending to install it on my wife's phone. Decided my wife can wait and installed it on mine (2nd one from Tech armor) and it's perfect.

So, my tally so far is EveryBody else = bad
Tech armor is 2 for 2 in perfect screen protectors.

For anybody still looking, I'd say go with this first and then try others if for whatever reason you don't like it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J4KP2KE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I wish TechArmor would come out with a comparable E2E protector.

awmstone

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2015
Redondo Beach, CA
Is that one good? Is it like what the ice max should have been? Rounded edges? Rounded cutouts?

To me, the D&P is everything I expect an A+ screen protector to be - rounded cutouts, rounded (enough) edges. I always use some sort of case also - right now Apple Leather case - so I don't notice that there is a very slight "transition" (for lack of a better word?) from the protector to the phone.

The oleophobic coating is top-notch and the price is excellent. I'm sold on these as a great solution for me.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
To me, the D&P is everything I expect an A+ screen protector to be - rounded cutouts, rounded (enough) edges. I always use some sort of case also - right now Apple Leather case - so I don't notice that there is a very slight "transition" (for lack of a better word?) from the protector to the phone.

The oleophobic coating is top-notch and the price is excellent. I'm sold on these as a great solution for me.
That's not exactly what you said earlier: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...reen-protectors.1994725/page-31#post-23718232

What changed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.