Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
I agree except the protector cracks very easy and I don't think it would do much for impacts.
You're absolutely right. Mine got chipped the other day and I have no idea how. Needless to say, it's in the trash now and I'm just going with the naked screen now and see how it goes. I have to say that I prefer using the home button with a screen protector on as without one the button is very flush and hard to feel.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
You're absolutely right. Mine got chipped the other day and I have no idea how. Needless to say, it's in the trash now and I'm just going with the naked screen now and see how it goes. I have to say that I prefer using the home button with a screen protector on as without one the button is very flush and hard to feel.

I ordered 2 and the one was scratched right out of the packaging. Just peeling the protective layer off the adhesive side caused it the crack in half. There is no strength at all in this thin glass.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
I ordered 2 and the one was scratched right out of the packaging. Just peeling the protective layer off the adhesive side caused it the crack in half. There is no strength at all in this thin glass.
It's a real shame as it's such a nice feeling and sleek looking SP. Have you tried the Ballistic glass by TA? Considering taking a shot with it, despite mixed reviews on Amazon and a slightly thicker glass.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
It's a real shame as it's such a nice feeling and sleek looking SP. Have you tried the Ballistic glass by TA? Considering taking a shot with it, despite mixed reviews on Amazon and a slightly thicker glass.

No, but I have been through both the Zagg Glass + and their Sapphire Defense. The thin Tech Armor Corning 2 (marketing fluff) glass is still on my phone and holding it's own. I'm super careful with my phones and do not subject them to much danger. I have my phone inside on the LifeProof case now with this screen protector and it seems to be working just fine. I change cases a couple of times a week.

ramak7

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2016
San Jose
Hi all,

I am new here. I recently got a JB 7+. I ordered the Sheath from Caudabe.

I was wondering if the GD Smith 3D screen protector will go with this case. If it does not please advixe which edge to edge screen protector to buy.

TIA

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I used to use the Godsmith protectors, but found one called GColor on Amazon and haven't looked back. I bought their 3D protector and it's simply awesome. Can barely tell it's there and completely edge to edge. It fits perfectly with the Apple Leather Case.

iPhone 7 Plus Screen Protector, G-Color 3D Full Coverage Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HE749U8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fQ7wybF9A6FWA

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
Hi all,

I was wondering if the GD Smith 3D screen protector will go with this case. If it does not please advixe which edge to edge screen protector to buy.

TIA
I had some random g.d.smith 3D glass, not sure which one, but it didn't work with my sheath case. I ended up with one by a company called Nextec which worked nicely with it with no gap between the glass and case lip.

a2dahz

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
Hi all,

TIA

I had some random g.d.smith 3D glass, not sure which one, but it didn't work with my sheath case. I ended up with one by a company called Nextec which worked nicely with it with no gap between the glass and case lip.

I'm in the same situation right now, just got an iPhone 7 along with the Caudabe Sheath case. Looking for a e2e screen protector and was hoping the G.D. Smith would be compatible?

Anybody else have any experience pairing the Sheath with G.D. Smith SP? Any other SPs that would work within the same price range and same quality?

Last edited:

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I'm in the same situation right now, just got an iPhone 7 along with the Caudabe Sheath case. Looking for a e2e screen protector and was hoping the G.D. Smith would be compatible?

Anybody else have any experience pairing the Sheath with G.D. Smith SP? Any other SPs that would work within the same price range and same quality?

I installed a Techmatte amfilm e2e screen protector on my friends 7. He is using a Spigen Liquid Armor case. The amfilm seems a hair smaller than others and it doesn't lift with this combo. I would think it would work with the Sheath.

salmankhan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
i have applied screen protectors since the days of iphone 3g. This time i am thinking to go naked. I really care about my iphones and literaly baby them so dropping them is not a concern. The only fear i have is that will the screen get scratched ? even if i am literally careful with what it comes into contact with.
any suggestions and inputs will be helpful.
Thanks

a2dahz

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
i have applied screen protectors since the days of iphone 3g. This time i am thinking to go naked. I really care about my iphones and literaly baby them so dropping them is not a concern. The only fear i have is that will the screen get scratched ? even if i am literally careful with what it comes into contact with.
Thanks
I used my iPhone 5 for 3 and a half years without a screen protector. I used a Otterbox case for the entire period. I don't have one single scratch on the phone. I do take very good care of it and have dropped it maybe 15-20 times in the 3 and a half years. Would also like to mention that I keep my set of keys in the same pocket with my iPhone and still no scratches. With me iPhone 7, since I am using a much thinner case now (Caudabe Sheath), my fear is not scratches but breaking the screen if ever I drop at a certain angle.

Reactions: salmankhan

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Really depends on your use case. For me, It's not an option. The metal rivet on my jeans near the pocket will cause scratches. When my phone is on the table it is always face down. For my use case, a SP gives me peace of mind.

Thanks

Reactions: salmankhan

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Just purchase a full cover tempered glass for my sister. It actually not bad. But I still be always naked without any screen protector.

Front iPhone - with full cover tempered glass.
Back iPhone - without any screen protector.
31084841383_6ca27fcdfa_h_d.jpg

Dunno what brand is that but it working perfectly well fit.
31894236035_175828404c_h_d.jpg

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
5ba614b1764943c60c514f9ef09d8267.png

Using this at moment. Still pretty content with it and I normally don't buy screen protectors work more than a few bucks.

^_^

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
I could really use your guys' help. I don't understand why anyone would take a screen protector that isn't an edge-to-edge one. What are the cons here besides specific case compatibly issues? Doesn't it not only better looking but also better protecting your iPhone?

I'll finally be getting the iPhone 7 Plus (been planning on getting it since before the release, but will only receive it within the next couple of weeks or so), and I'll be using the Apple leather case. I've tried trying to decide which tempered glass edge-to-edge screen protector to buy, and I just can't seem to pin-point the best one. I could really use your guys' help. I've made a list of a few (and have also seen a couple more from a couple pages here, thought I haven't gone through all of the thread's pages):

G.D.SMITH (this thread)
G-Color (this thread)
iOrange-E (reddit)
TURATA (reddit)
Nillkin (random)

There are probably more that I'm not aware of. This is a random list. All I know is that the G-Color, TURATA and Nillkin ones are compatible with the case (According to the people who have posted them, or Amazon reviews), but beyond that I don't know all too much. It's important to me that it'll have some good all around protection (you know, the usual: scratches, drops, etc.), and I guess that anti-glare would also be nice (unless they aren't recommended because they take away from the quality of the picture? Not sure, just throwing it out there).

Thanks A LOT in advance!

Last edited:

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
I could really use your guys' help. I don't understand why anyone would take a screen protector that isn't an edge-to-edge one. What are the cons here besides specific case compatibly issues? Doesn't it not only better looking but also better protecting your iPhone?

Just to answer your question (from a personal view).

I've used e2e screen protectors for a good few years now and agree that they look better than the normal ones, but they do let in some dust in my cases.
Finding dust in your front camera section as well as proximity sensor area is annoying.
Also pressing the home button is a more enjoyable on a non e2e screen protector.

I have read about the Moshi Ion Glass screen protector to be one of the better ones and actually has a recessed home button area for more comfortable use. ( https://www.moshi.com/ionglass-for-iphone-7-plus )

Reactions: AppleKarma

Russtopher

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2016
Pacific Northwest
I'd like this subforum to have a go to place for discussion regarding glass screen protectors either for the iPhone 7 or 7 plus. This can be for standard variety or edge to edge (E2E).

Has anyone found glass screen protectors for the 7 yet? Which manufacturers? Anyone taking preorders?

I have found the cheap ones are every bit as good as the much more expensive versions. Go to the Dollar Tree store (seriously) and grab a few for $1.00 each. Yes, I am using the $ store tempered glass screen protectors myself now. And I recently got two of them for my girlfriends I-Phone, for $4.99 on Amazon. I just put hers on yesterday. There is no need to spend big bucks on these things. Many of them are the same item in different packaging. I've got my I Phone in an Otterbox Commuter case with a tempered glass screen protector and it's nearly bulletproof.

Long ago, I worked in the vitamin and supplement production industry. Those cheap generic store brand vitamins came off the same production line as your MUCH more expensive "Nature Made" and other big name vitamins. They are the identical item, under a different label.

Give the MUCH cheaper tempered glass screen protector a shot. I think you be quite pleased with it. And at that price, grab an extra or two.

RB

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Belkin should be releasing the updated version that covers the entire screen soon if they have not already. I have a case with them I need to follow up on. They are supposed to be sending me the updated version that I can bring into the Apple store for installation.

Any news on Belkin releasing the updated Ultra? I got the original installed on my 7+ and wife's 7 when I picked up the phones at Apple. The install process was perfect, but the rainbow effect due to the protector not covering the entire screen is driving me crazy. I don't much care about how the phone or case looks, but I care a lot about how it functions, especially the screen. I'm willing to give up 7 or 8 % of the light transmission, but distortion of any type, if visible, is absolutely unacceptable. Aside from this rainbow effect, I'm happy with the Belkin though.

Alternatively, the Moshi IonGlass yet? It looks intriguing but I wonder about how it would work with tight fitting cases.

budgynana

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Any news on Belkin releasing the updated Ultra?

I emailed Belkin before Xmas and after a week or so they replied with:

"With regard to your question about the screen protectors we have for iPhone 7, they are designed to cover up until where the curve starts in order to avoid lifting and maintain product quality since the curvature of the screen does not allow for full coverage.

We are actively looking into this and working towards a resolution that will may improve the coverage of our screen protectors for iPhone 7."

Reactions: danny8200

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I emailed Belkin before Xmas and after a week or so they replied with:

"With regard to your question about the screen protectors we have for iPhone 7, they are designed to cover up until where the curve starts in order to avoid lifting and maintain product quality since the curvature of the screen does not allow for full coverage. We are actively looking into this and working towards a resolution that will may improve the coverage of our screen protectors for iPhone 7."

That doesn't sound too promising. Seems like they don't have a fix yet. They "will" or "may" have a fix. Which is it Belkin?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Found a few reviews on the Moshi IonGlass and they are mostly five star except for one guy who said it picked up fingerprints more easily, and that static (attracted lint) was an issue during the install. Both of those are easily solved if they are the only negatives. I may look into that one for full E2E protection. Still worried about the effect on case fit though.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
looks like iMos updated their screen protector for the 7. new circle around the camera as well as a proxmitiy window that reminds me of the prototype iphone 4.

Attachments

• IMG_4097.PNG
    IMG_4097.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 274

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
looks like iMos updated their screen protector for the 7. new circle around the camera as well as a proxmitiy window that reminds me of the prototype iphone 4.

Did you get the updated version directly from iMOS or 3rd party?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.