Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Who can tell me which non e2e screenprotector is the thinnest?

Don' t care too much about drop protection, just for scratches.

But no haloing and with good/great clarity.

Which one?

The ozaki 0.15mm?
.15 is the thinnest that I've seen.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Who can tell me which non e2e screenprotector is the thinnest?

Don' t care too much about drop protection, just for scratches.

But no haloing and with good/great clarity.

Which one?

The ozaki 0.15mm?
The Tech Armor Corning glass 2 is cheap and really thin .15. It won't halo but the edges will have slight imperfections. They aren't bad, just not perfect.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
The Tech Armor Corning glass 2 is cheap and really thin .15. It won't halo but the edges will have slight imperfections. They aren't bad, just not perfect.
Ok, but that is 0.2mm according to their website.
I had a 0.2mm g-color that was very good. Tried a cheap 0.15mm, and i could feel that it was thinner and lighter. But it has the haloing and transparancy was not as good as the g-color.
Looking for a new high quality 0.15mm now.
So anymore suggestions?

I really don' t understand there is no manufacturer that will release a glass protector just for the screen area. With a small black/white line for the upper and lower bezels, so it won' t screw up the design of the front of the iphone. I hate those horseshoe designs around the homebutton for the non e2e, and for full front screenprotectors, i hate the holes for the sensors , speaker cutouts at the top and the fact that the homebutton isn' t flush at the bottom.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012

This glass is good but very thin. Had mine on for over a month now and it's been perfect.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I just noticed that Evolutive Labs (rhinosheild) has an e2e tempered glass protector now, anybody try it yet?

I'm getting my thanotech k11 delivered today and I'll also be getting their e2e glass, I'll let you know what I think of it IF I end up installing it. If my current protector works with the k11 I'm going to leave it on since I like it a lot (D&P)

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I finally managed to get a few scratches around home button on my Klearlook. Dohhh. Made it a few weeks. Stupid pocket buttons ‍♂️

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I just noticed that Evolutive Labs (rhinosheild) has an e2e tempered glass protector now, anybody try it yet?

I'm getting my thanotech k11 delivered today and I'll also be getting their e2e glass, I'll let you know what I think of it IF I end up installing it. If my current protector works with the k11 I'm going to leave it on since I like it a lot (D&P)

Really?! Color me intrigued. Please let me know how it works out. Lifetime replacement like their cases/bumpers?

Also, not a bad price at $25 if quality.

Last edited:

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW

I did and it ARRIVED cracked. Customer service was grumpy but they credited me back. Waste of time. I went back to Zagg. (Best Buy price matched Amazon so it was cheap)

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I installed mine today and not real impressed, seemed like it was plastic and not glass, not as smooth feeling as the d&p I had installed before this. I think I'm going to try the rhino shield glass and if I don't like it I'll just go back to the d&p.

Last edited:

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Hey @willmtaylor

I have Amazon prime, and looking for the best overall full edge to edge glass screen protector in your opinion for the 7.

Ive read the thread, just curious what you think.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hey @willmtaylor

I have Amazon prime, and looking for the best overall full edge to edge glass screen protector in your opinion for the 7.

Ive read the thread, just curious what you think.
I haven't been as active recently as in the past, so I may not be the best to ask. That being said, I've probably seen the least criticism for the latest iteration of the Godosmith/GDSmith edge to edge variant. It had issues at first, but they've gotten better feedback as of late.

Other than that, many have been disappointed with higher dollar protectors ($20-$30) and have been opting for an assortment of cheaper options ($5-$15) on Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: blaine07

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Has anyone tried ThanoTech's edge to edge glass?

https://www.thanotech.com/collectio...en-protector-for-iphone-7?variant=32666859910

I'm considering ordering a K11 bumper and will add the glass protector to possibly try it out.

The bumper is definitely nice, I've had mine for a couple days now. My only issue with it is there's barely any front lip so with a screen protector it will contact the SP if you lay it face down.

Their screen protector is ok, not bad but also not the best i've felt. It feels more plastic than glass, if that makes sense? I took it off and I'm waiting for the rhinoshield one to be delivered and using my plastic rhinoshield protector for now.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The bumper is definitely nice, I've had mine for a couple days now. My only issue with it is there's barely any front lip so with a screen protector it will contact the SP if you lay it face down.

Their screen protector is ok, not bad but also not the best i've felt. It feels more plastic than glass, if that makes sense? I took it off and I'm waiting for the rhinoshield one to be delivered and using my plastic rhinoshield protector for now.
I did see your quip above and was a tad disappointed, though not shocked. It seems as though most E2E variants are now being manufactured almost identically. There seems to be little variation between brands aside from a few exceptions.

Eagerly awaiting your feedback on RhinoShield's offering.

Reactions: AppleKarma

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I was a little surprised at how much dust was built up on the edges of the D&P when I took it off, pretty gross. I just got a shipping notice today for the Rhino, hopefully will have it in a few days. I think you're right, I wonder how many companies are actually manufacturing these? Probably just a few at most, who then sell to different companies who then sell to us.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I was a little surprised at how much dust was built up on the edges of the D&P when I took it off, pretty gross. I just got a shipping notice today for the Rhino, hopefully will have it in a few days. I think you're right, I wonder how many companies are actually manufacturing these? Probably just a few at most, who then sell to different companies who then sell to us.
The only ones who seem to truly be different are Godosmith/G.D.Smith, IMOS, ZAGG, and maybe a couple others.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Not sure if I can recommend GD smith. The screen protector was packaged awesome, in a case in a case etc, but the actual screen was completely shattered. It was so bad it had chunks missing from the corners. I contacted them and initiated a return so we will see what the response is.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
After a failed IonGlass install (see above) I tried the Tech Armor 3D curved SP. It took three tries lifting one end to get alignment nailed exactly, along with a few targeted dust tape swipes, but this one went on 99% perfect...just one small edge lift/bubble/halo that might go away after a few days of pressing, "curing," etc. Fairly happy with this E2E SP so far. Snagged a couple ten buck knockoffs in case this one fails, and a Gpel for backup too.

Regarding the overall bubble issues with E2E SPs, although the above poster is correct in saying small dust particles are a possible cause, I do not believe they are THE cause in these cases. There are simply too many reports of the problem by users who know what they are doing, and who are following all recommended procedures, tips, and tricks. While I did have a tiny spot or two on my IonGlass install, those were ultimately taken care of with tape during a last ditch effort, but NOTHING would flatten the edges enough to eliminate the relatively large adhesion problems, and there was zero dust, oil, etc. visible, even under 10x mag.

I suspect no manufacturer has figured out how to deal with the iPhone 7/7+ screen's curved edges with absolute precision, and as another poster said, phone to phone variation could be a factor as well. The tolerances are apparently really tight. Zeiss could surely pull it off if they got into the glass SP biz. I know - wishful thinking. Besides, theirs would cost about 150 bucks each!

First, yes I know it is strange to quote myself, but it makes sense in this situation. While cleaning my 7+, I just noticed that the small edge bubbles I had on the Tech Armor 3D Curved SP have vanished. Like I said, I did occassionaly try to press out the edges for a few days right after installing, and apparently, a few weeks later, it worked. This SP is now as good as it gets. Actually, now it is flawless. No issues of lifting either with Apple, Element, and Rokform cases I have tried. Two thumbs up.

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
Not sure if I can recommend GD smith. The screen protector was packaged awesome, in a case in a case etc, but the actual screen was completely shattered. It was so bad it had chunks missing from the corners. I contacted them and initiated a return so we will see what the response is.

I had the GD Smith for about 2 months or so. I dropped my phone the other week and the protector did its job protecting the screen, but it completely shattered, which was disappointing.

The fit isn't the best (talking about the frame) as it cuts of a few mm of the screen. But the feel of the protector is awesome, and you can't tell it's on the screen.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Denpech

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2016
Russia, Saint Petersburg
Zagg InvisibleShield Glass+ Luxe

Why do I see at the top of the three holes in the glass? Why third hole? All manufacturers of glasses made two cuts. What do you think?
InvisibleShield Glass+ Luxe.jpg

Last edited:

Russtopher

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2016
Pacific Northwest

There are very few companies (China) making these tempered glass screen protectors. But quite an assortment of companies marketing and selling them. Personally, myself and a few buddies of mine are having great success and satisfaction with the much cheaper ones from Amazon, E bay and the Dollar Store. Yes, the Dollar Store! And at that price, grab a few extras.

Last edited:

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I got my rhinoshield protector and it's nearly identical to the D&P protector. Only difference seems to the the price, 12.99 for the D&P vs $24 for the rhinoshield. At this point I have to say I don't see any point in paying more than maybe $12-$15 for a tempered glass. Maybe there really is an unseen difference in strength but is there really a difference worth twice the price?

I'll have to take people's word that the super expensive IMOS is worth it but I personally won't be buying one of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.