Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Reactions: AppleKarma

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
@willmtaylor can I get a moron pass this one time? I tried searching "techarmor" as one word before posting, got nothing, and even edited my post to correct myself. Ugh. Sorry! Thank you!‍♀️
No need for the self-deprecation; it took me some time to figure out the ins and outs of the search function. It's additionally hidden on iOS devices as well.

Happy to help

paulwooan

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
I got my rhinoshield protector and it's nearly identical to the D&P protector. Only difference seems to the the price, 12.99 for the D&P vs $24 for the rhinoshield. At this point I have to say I don't see any point in paying more than maybe $12-$15 for a tempered glass. Maybe there really is an unseen difference in strength but is there really a difference worth twice the price?

I'll have to take people's word that the super expensive IMOS is worth it but I personally won't be buying one of those.

I bought two of them to see if I'll like them. Could you perhaps upload a photo of the edges? And is there adhesive around the sensors and home button? Also are there any adhesion problems or problem areas?
Thank you so much!

Reactions: willmtaylor

AaronE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2006
North Carolina
I just reviewed the Zagg Glass+ Luxe for the 7 Plus, and I'm quite impressed. It is super case compatible for an edge to edge and I think it looks really great on my phone.

Kristin

I have watched your video about five times, no lie. I had tried to convince my self I didn't need a $50 screen protector. Well, it showed up today. It looks great, but the right side doesn't seem to want to seal properly. I've heard of these issues improving over time, but I'm not sure.

Anyone with Zagg experience, should I return this with Amazon for a replacement (probably faster) or use my Zagg warranty?

IMG_9619.JPG

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I have watched your video about five times, no lie. I had tried to convince my self I didn't need a $50 screen protector. Well, it showed up today. It looks great, but the right side doesn't seem to want to seal properly. I've heard of these issues improving over time, but I'm not sure.

Anyone with Zagg experience, should I return this with Amazon for a replacement (probably faster) or use my Zagg warranty?

View attachment 686727

I received my Zagg Glass+ Luxe today and I couldn't be happier. I also ordered thru Amazon and have no problems with the glass edges not sticking. Installation went smoothly the first time around.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I received my Zagg Glass+ Luxe today and I couldn't be happier. I also ordered thru Amazon and have no problems with the glass edges not sticking. Installation went smoothly the first time around.
Glad to hear it :) It's a great screen protector in my opinion!
[doublepost=1486135418][/doublepost]

View attachment 686727
So sorry, Aaron!! Sadly, I doubt things are going to get any better with your adhesion. Not sure what the problem could be...it could be very slightly off center, or perhaps the protector itself is slightly defective. You might want to contact Zagg and send them pictures of the issue and see what they can do for you--perhaps they will waive the warranty replacement fee if they deem this to be defective. Amazon is also a good option...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

View attachment 686727
I had a very similar issue with my Orzly. I suddenly noticed 2-3 days later that it had settled down and adhered. Maybe give it a bit more time?

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleKarma

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
After chipping my first gen GDSmith (knight? packaging wasn't clear at the time) I decided to give their 2nd gen a try. Not very impressed.Super hard to get the bubbles out. I've installed A LOT of screen protectors and never had this hard a time. The oleophobic coating is just okay. Seems like my chipped s/p I just took off had a better coating.
I think this one is coming off and I'll try the D&P

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I'm loathe to spend $50 on a SP, but I am intrigued by what appears to be full cut outs for the sensor areas above the speaker. Can you confirm?

Glad to hear it :) It's a great screen protector in my opinion!
[doublepost=1486135418][/doublepost]
So sorry, Aaron!! Sadly, I doubt things are going to get any better with your adhesion. Not sure what the problem could be...it could be very slightly off center, or perhaps the protector itself is slightly defective. You might want to contact Zagg and send them pictures of the issue and see what they can do for you--perhaps they will waive the warranty replacement fee if they deem this to be defective. Amazon is also a good option...

awmstone

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2015
Redondo Beach, CA
I got my Tech Armor iPhone 7 3D Curved Edge screen protector from Amazon yesterday and I have to say I am VERY impressed! I know they are all very similar at this point. And I'm sure that's largely true. But if nothing else, the packaging/warranty/support that goes with Tech Armor is fairly impressive. And the installation on 2 iPhone 7s (one white, one black) was flawless - no bubbles, no issues and they fit great with my Apple leather case. I'm really happy with these for anyone looking for another opinion for what it's worth.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I foolishly decided to try the 2 e2e protectors I had and never should have taken off my D&P.

The rhino shield glass was overly large and had very obvious, pronounced overhangs on all 4 sides. Complete waste of money and I pulled it off immediately.

The ITG e2e was smaller and fit better but had huge air bubbles that wouldn't adhere. This is the 3 ITG SP I've tried that had this issue, it's like they can't figure out how to get good glue.

I have a zagg on the way, if it fails I'm going back to and staying with the D&P, I've now had 2 of them that gave me perfect installs with no issues.

awmstone

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2015
Redondo Beach, CA
I foolishly decided to try the 2 e2e protectors I had and never should have taken off my D&P.

The rhino shield glass was overly large and had very obvious, pronounced overhangs on all 4 sides. Complete waste of money and I pulled it off immediately.

The ITG e2e was smaller and fit better but had huge air bubbles that wouldn't adhere. This is the 3 ITG SP I've tried that had this issue, it's like they can't figure out how to get good glue.

I have a zagg on the way, if it fails I'm going back to and staying with the D&P, I've now had 2 of them that gave me perfect installs with no issues.

@kingston73 I'm a big D&P fan also! Crazy right?! I mean, other than the Tech Armor that I've just now given a shot (just to try something else), the D&P was the only other one worth having in my opinion! Sorry you're sort of in SP hell right now. :eek:

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Could anyone recommend a good e2e matte glass screen protector? And if anyone has tried it, does it affect clarity a lot like it use to with the plastic matte SP?

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Got my zagg and installed today. It's not bad, it installed very easy with no bubbles. I'm not crazy about the matte black parts, it's really obvious that they are plastic and there's a noticeable feeling when sliding your finger from glass to plastic. I'm keeping it on but for the money I still think the absolute best I've tried has been the d&p.

To summarize: rhino shield = bad, oversized and ill fitting
ITG = poor adhesive, bubbles and just no
Zagg = decently good but overpriced
D&P = great bargain and overall good feel and good product

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Got my zagg and installed today. It's not bad, it installed very easy with no bubbles. I'm not crazy about the matte black parts, it's really obvious that they are plastic and there's a noticeable feeling when sliding your finger from glass to plastic. I'm keeping it on but for the money I still think the absolute best I've tried has been the d&p.

To summarize: rhino shield = bad, oversized and ill fitting
ITG = poor adhesive, bubbles and just no
Zagg = decently good but overpriced
D&P = great bargain and overall good feel and good product

Do the edge of the D&P sit flush with the screen or is there a gap? Reason I ask is because I'm using a generic brand that looks exactly like it but when I inspect the phone from a side view, I can see the edges don't sit well on the screen and that collects dust over time.

awmstone

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2015
Redondo Beach, CA
Do the edge of the D&P sit flush with the screen or is there a gap? Reason I ask is because I'm using a generic brand that looks exactly like it but when I inspect the phone from a side view, I can see the edges don't sit well on the screen and that collects dust over time.
@borgsauce to me, the marginal gap (on the edge of the D&P) - like - tiny, infinitesimal gap, is as close to flush as you're going to get with any of these as far as I can tell. The Tech Armor is nearly the same. There is nothing that is truly "flush." Once you put a good case on, you don't notice the "gap" at all. Even without a case, with the D&P (and Tech Armor) I really haven't noticed it.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
How's the dust over the sensors? I get that with mine (Orzly), that's why I'm intrigued by the Zagg which seems to have cut outs.

@borgsauce to me, the marginal gap (on the edge of the D&P) - like - tiny, infinitesimal gap, is as close to flush as you're going to get with any of these as far as I can tell. The Tech Armor is nearly the same. There is nothing that is truly "flush." Once you put a good case on, you don't notice the "gap" at all. Even without a case, with the D&P (and Tech Armor) I really haven't noticed it.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I'm loathe to spend $50 on a SP, but I am intrigued by what appears to be full cut outs for the sensor areas above the speaker. Can you confirm?

The zagg definitely has cutouts. Not sure of that's better or worse than covering glass, only time will tell.

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016

I understand that but another issue with the gap is it makes it the biggest weak point. Even a slight force or contact with a hard object on the edges breaks it. I've had 2 already that had these "phantom" cracks. First one was cracked on the right edge out of nowhere and now my current one has a crack under the home button. There's no support under the edges so it gives easily. Other that I do agree with you that with a nice case it doesn't show. I use Apple leather case and it looks really good with it.

Tymen

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2016
Anyone try the new Peel brand full screen tempered glass ?
I do. It's fine but not great.
The cut out round the Touch ID is to sharp/edgy. Not smooth at all. Also i think the glass is to thick.
But it goes great with my Peel case.

Who can recommend a glass protector that is not sharp/edgy round the Touch ID?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.