Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iPhone scratching?

• Total voters

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
7 Plus and only see the scratches when you turn it tilted to side in light. Ton of them though...doesn’t bother me since it looks new most of time. No case for me ever.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Well I agree with that however, I had some pretty deep scratches on my 8 that I never had on my 6s after two years of use with no screen protector. I know what normal sratches are and I know that glass with scratch but I don’t think it should have been scratched to the degree that I experienced. I found this on you tube of another person with the same issue.
[doublepost=1506375237][/doublepost]
They are deep scratches. Maybe I’m the only one with this issue but there’s no doubt that it was pretty scratched. Do you have an 8? How’s it holding up?
Post photos.

AppleiOSUser

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
This makes me very nervous to hear. I’ve had the 7 and have had no problems with the aluminum backing.

I’d also like to see photos of the scratching.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Phones are going to scratch. It's all based on how you handle them and treat your devices. And phones are meant to be somewhat used in abused on a daily basis, and it's just another piece of technology, but if someone is concerned the scratches, use a case.

Reactions: ACST

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Again this is not normal. Ignore apple apologists as they swarm like crows over any criticism. There should not be any abrasions unless coming in contact with hardness level 6 or plus materials.

Again this is normal. Ignore Apple detractors as they swarm like crowds every time there is a new Apple product. There could be abrasions depending on what is in contact with the glass.

I bought a screen protector and I use an Apple leather case, which helps protect my device.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Att does have the BOGO deal but you have to purchase Direct TV to get it. No thanks! :mad:

last year and earlier in the year they had BOGO with no Direct TV requirement. A lot of times they have better deals from the third party retailers than from Apple or AT&T corporate stores.

good chance they will have a BOGO deal with no Direct TV required

SomeGuy2112

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Why does the poll have a "Not really" but not a "No scratches at all" option as well?
Got mine on day 1 no cover, no screen protector, and while I don't abuse, I also don't baby my stuff. The phone is a tool and I use it.
Can't find a single scratch yet.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
My iPhone 8 is fine. I did have 1 iPhone a few years ago that had a million little scratches on it, almost from day one. From the research I did at the time, I think it is a random problem with the coating on the glass. Luckily I'm not that sensitive to the issue, so I just lived with it. But whenever I was out in the sun, the reflections of all the little scratches was pretty ugly. I was very happy to move on from that phone... Good luck convincing a genius that it's not your fault :)

SomeGuy2112

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
The glass on 4 and 4S weren't infused with ground up unicorn horn like the 8 is. One would expect more resiliency given the composite.

I honestly can't believe that this topic exists. iPhone 4 and 4S was just like this, why is iPhone 8 any exception?

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
This didn’t take long. Lol. I can’t image the scratches on the stainless steel band on the X

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
For me step 1, purchase phone. Step 2, have screen protector installed prior to leaving Verizon store. Step 3, place it in a nice clear case. Priceless. ;)
I find the gorilla glass is so good there is no need for a screen protector, everywhere else like the sides and back, yes.

Reactions: Crazyj414

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
The glass on 4 and 4S weren't infused with ground up unicorn horn like the 8 is. One would expect more resiliency given the composite.
You seriously think it's worse than the 4/4S? I think you're losing your mind, because my 4 was and my 4S is pretty scratch prone. Now on the 8, I imagine it will scratch more than the 4 because of the round design leaving it more exposed, but that doesn't mean the glass is any less durable than the 4.

IMG_4554.JPG

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
You seriously think it's worse than the 4/4S? I think you're losing your mind, because my 4 was and my 4S is pretty scratch prone. Now on the 8, I imagine it will scratch more than the 4 because of the round design leaving it more exposed, but that doesn't mean the glass is any less durable than the 4.

View attachment 721772
That looks pretty bad... did you drop or scratch your phone?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Nope, those are just micro scratches from normal use. The flash makes them more apparent. Keep in mind that it's been in use for 5 years.
Still, the scratching shouldn't have come from keys (unless maybe for iPhone 6 they have a higher hardness rating than what your phone has). Long term use shouldn't equate to becoming more scratch-prone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.