Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iPhone scratching?

• Total voters

SomeGuy2112

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Was just a joke... Unicorn horn...

At the end of the day, the glass has improved some over the years, but it is still glass and will certainly still be prone to scratches.

Personally I don't worry about it.. Its a phone, a tool, and is meant to be used not kept as a display piece.

You seriously think it's worse than the 4/4S? I think you're losing your mind, because my 4 was and my 4S is pretty scratch prone. Now on the 8, I imagine it will scratch more than the 4 because of the round design leaving it more exposed, but that doesn't mean the glass is any less durable than the 4.

View attachment 721772

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Was just a joke... Unicorn horn...

At the end of the day, the glass has improved some over the years, but it is still glass and will certainly still be prone to scratches.

Personally I don't worry about it.. Its a phone, a tool, and is meant to be used not kept as a display piece.
A display should be designed to maintain it's integrity! Scratches just refract light and mess up the display.

Blinddesign

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
I setup the iPhone 8 and 8plus the night before launch at work. Layer the iPhones onto the counter to purposely scratch the backs, so the security mounts could attach. Once I turned the phones over. I noticed the screens were scratched terribly, just from the counter. I believe any normal person get these new iPhones would put a tempered glass on right away. If not, y’all are gonna be setup to be pissed off at the company that you buy it from. Instead of being mad at Apple for their poor design. Please, just put at tempered glass on right away.. will post pix when I’m back at work for y’all.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A display should be designed to maintain it's integrity!

That would be dependent on how someone maintains their display. If somebody treat Its properly and or uses a screen protector case, then the user is responsible for how the display ends up.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I'm trying to understand where your "daily use" scratches come from...
Sitting on tables, sliding it, probably from the metal buttons on the side of blue jeans I imagine, I don't know. My phone's lives are pretty typical I would say. I also have the mindset of, it's a phone that's meant to take beating of people's lives. If they fail, oh well... that just means that the maker of the phone didn't do a good job of making it durable. Some may argue that I'm not going to use my $700 dollar phone without a case or screen protector. I just say that if you are worried, you shouldn't have purchased it. It's a phone, not a precious jewel, but if you plan on reselling it, then it’s understandable.

My 4S has gone through more than my 6S ever will, and that's for a good reason too. The 6S is NOWHERE near the durability of my 4S. The original backplate of my 4S is currently in a drawer shattered (stupid mistake, don't ask). This one is from another 4S that was in good shape, and it hasn't had to go through what the old plate did. My 6S dented just from a 1' drop, which really pissed me off and says a lot about the device in general.

Reactions: DaveOP

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
The S8 has been out since April and there are pages of complaints about scratches on the andoid forums
My understanding is the iPhone 8 and S8 share the exact same glass, so no surprises here.

mzengr

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
Well I agree with that however, I had some pretty deep scratches on my 8 that I never had on my 6s after two years of use with no screen protector. I know what normal sratches are and I know that glass with scratch but I don’t think it should have been scratched to the degree that I experienced. I found this on you tube of another person with the same issue.
[doublepost=1506375237][/doublepost]
They are deep scratches. Maybe I’m the only one with this issue but there’s no doubt that it was pretty scratched. Do you have an 8? How’s it holding up?

Was it scratched out of the box? If so, return it for a replacement. If not, then it’s something on your end. Mine doesn’t have any scratches but it also went right into a case. There’s an issue if people are opening their phones and immediately seeing scratches.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
My understanding is that GG is being developed more towards reduced impact damage, which would then likely yield a softer surface tension (ergo more scratches). This was the big issue that people were talking about with last year's Note 7 (off side of the explosions). I have been using my Note 4 for almost 4 years or so without any visible scratches because at that time they were being developed to be more scratch resistant.

Likely that the more flexible (less brittle) the glass, the softer the surface as a result. Kinda makes me sad as I prefer scratch resistance vs drop resistance.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
While I was in the AT&T store the first phone they got out I checked and it had scratches on the back. I ALWAYS check my devices before I leave the store that way they cannot say I did it. They ended up just swapping out with a different one and it was flawless. Slapped a Black Apple Silicone case on immediately after taking the plastic off as well as a tempered glass screen protector. Still contemplating going ceaseless though because the phone is gorgeous!

tomklyn

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2013
Ottumwa, Iowa
I ha e some scratches on mine after just the first day not change in where I put it never had any like this in my 7 plus
3f7a7f6cb3257f5a7f94c14f079d647f.jpg

Wippet87

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
Mine is scratching very easily. I’ve not had it a week and already there is a couple of light ones and one fairly deep scratch. I have only had it in my pocket with nothing else or on a bedside table.

Attachments

• 41291A35-3096-43D5-8353-B50629FB0572.jpeg
    41291A35-3096-43D5-8353-B50629FB0572.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 338

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Do you have claws for fingernails? How do you scratch it up that badly in a few hours

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
My understanding is that GG is being developed more towards reduced impact damage, which would then likely yield a softer surface tension (ergo more scratches). This was the big issue that people were talking about with last year's Note 7 (off side of the explosions). I have been using my Note 4 for almost 4 years or so without any visible scratches because at that time they were being developed to be more scratch resistant.

Likely that the more flexible (less brittle) the glass, the softer the surface as a result. Kinda makes me sad as I prefer scratch resistance vs drop resistance.

This here is the answer. Harder glass is more scratch-resistant but is more likely to shatter, and vice-versa. Unfortunately those who aren't careless and/or use cases kind of get screwed if Apple or Corning decide to prioritize shatter-resistance over scratch-resistance. I've owned an iPhone since the 3GS and have manage to not once break the glass on my phones. This includes carrying the 3GS and 4S without a case.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Reactions: Duncanator

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Scratches? Not at all.

https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Maton...1506780804&sr=1-4&keywords=iphone+8+plus+case

But I'm also a believer in cases... not only for drop protection but to protect the exterior of my $1000 device.

$40 Apple Silicone Case and a tempered glass screen protector definitely help keep my phone in mint condition. I went about 18 hours between getting my 256GB and putting a screen protector on. I cleaned the screen and put the protector on. Didn’t even check for scratches because I knew IF I found one it’d drive me crazy.

Reactions: TravisPNW

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
$40 Apple Silicone Case and a tempered glass screen protector definitely help keep my phone in mint condition. I went about 18 hours between getting my 256GB and putting a screen protector on. I cleaned the screen and put the protector on. Didn’t even check for scratches because I knew IF I found one it’d drive me crazy.

Yeah for the screen I went with a glass screen protector as well. If it gets scratched I swap it out for $5.

It amazes me how people spend $1000 on a device and then go cheese mode when it comes to protecting it.

"Oh, but cases are ugly. I prefer to go without a case."

Suit yourself... but when you drop it and crack your screen or remove the phone from your pocket and see it's got a scratch on it all you have to blame is the guy in the mirror.

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
Its just you. Why are you so rough on your phones?

Mine in my pocket rarely with keys and I don’t use cash so I never have change my iPhone 7 screen looks as if I took rough sandpaper to it

I’m sure Apple has the tech and materials to make a scratch resistant screen

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
No it's completely not normal. I noticed a similar issue with a new S8 using gorilla glass 5. I believe the 8 screen is based off gorilla glass 5 which might be defective compared to previous versions.
Gorilla glass 5 sacrifices scratchability for shatterability improvements. I believe.

rarebeauty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
I have the same issue. I’ve barely had it 48 hrs and there is already a noticible scratch on it. I’m one of “those” people. I like my items in pristine condition. So I’m thinking of just returning it and keeping my 7 Plus until the X comes out.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I have the same issue. I’ve barely had it 48 hrs and there is already a noticible scratch on it. I’m one of “those” people. I like my items in pristine condition. So I’m thinking of just returning it and keeping my 7 Plus until the X comes out.

You like your items in pristine condition but you are I'm guessing one of those people who don't believe in cases or screen protectors... ?

Reactions: ABC5S

rarebeauty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
You like your items in pristine condition but you are I'm guessing one of those people who don't believe in cases or screen protectors... ?
I never said I didn’t have it in a case. Stop ASSuming. It has in fact been in a case and has had a tempered glass protector on it as soon as the plastic was removed. A phone that has been gently handled should not have a noticeable scratch on it that easily. I’m not sure if the scratch was on there out of the box or not. But it bothers me either way. And since I paid full price for this item I deserve to be satisfied. No need to be snarky.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I never said I didn’t have it in a case. Stop ASSuming. It has in fact been in a case and has had a tempered glass protector on it as soon as the plastic was removed. A phone that has been gently handled should not have a noticeable scratch on it that easily. I’m not sure if the scratch was on there out of the box or not. But it bothers me either way. And since I paid full price for this item I deserve to be satisfied. No need to be snarky.

Not being snarky... just asking the obvious.

Millions of people "gently handle" their new phones, myself included... and don't end up with "noticeable scratches."

But it's the design of the phone that is to blame... no doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.