Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iPhone scratching?

• Total voters

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
You are that kind of person who expects things to be handed on a silver platter... It's a freaking device to be used lightly with care not a bulletproof thing god.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t use screen protectors, never have. I don’t baby my phone but I don’t put it in a pocket with keys or coins. No marks on my 8 plus whatsoever or any of my previous phones.

I don't prefer screen protectors. I understand their purpose, but they just look tacky and take away from the tactile feel with the display. But that strictly just my preference and I have never had any issues with my displays without the use of a screen protector.

Reactions: Toocoolracing

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
I agree with the above guy. Screen protector doesnt do much for me even with a case on
Because the case provides lip protection for the screen abit and the glass protector is a flat surface which means an uneven seamless feel between the actual screen n the protector doesmt make sense

Also i think maybe im a guy so i have the phone in my pocket hence no need for the protector.

Ladies i would understand since they put their phones in their handbags often since ladies pockets r quite small edpecially if you consider the iPhone Plus models with lcd screen r quite huge

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Is it just me or has anyone else had an unreasonable amount of sctatches on their iPhone 8 already?

I opened my phone and used it for only a few hours before I noticed a significant amount of scratches on it.

Has anyone else had an issue?

No I don’t have that issue, no scratches because of my use but there was a tiny one on back when i opened the box.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
That makes absolutely no sense. If you buy a $5 hammer, if it breaks with normal use, you get what you pay for. If you buy a $50 hammer, you dont expect it to break with normal use. I expect a cheap $300 phone to scratch with normal use, not a $1000+ phone.

your analogy is irrational

Reactions: Newtons Apple

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I have had every iPhone model since the 3G, and all but one of them have had very scratch-resistant glass. Yes - you could scratch them if you abused them, but if you babied it, the screen would be pristine.

Then there was the 1 iPhone I had that had the same problem people here are complaining about. Something just wasn't right - even though I babied it like all the others, the screen accumulated nasty scratches at an alarming rate.

I am convinced it is some sort of problem with a coating on the glass not curing properly during the manufacturing process. Most phones are fine, but if you lose the lottery and get a bad one, and then complain about it, people will say you are abusing your phone. As somebody who has been there, I know it's a real thing. If you've never had a phone like this, then consider yourself lucky.

But please stop telling the unlucky people who have them that they are idiots... It is possible they have an iPhone that scratches wayyyy more easily than normal. I know because I had one.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I have had every iPhone model since the 3G, and all but one of them have had very scratch-resistant glass. Yes - you could scratch them if you abused them, but if you babied it, the screen would be pristine.

Then there was the 1 iPhone I had that had the same problem people here are complaining about. Something just wasn't right - even though I babied it like all the others, the screen accumulated nasty scratches at an alarming rate.

I am convinced it is some sort of problem with a coating on the glass not curing properly during the manufacturing process. Most phones are fine, but if you lose the lottery and get a bad one, and then complain about it, people will say you are abusing your phone. As somebody who has been there, I know it's a real thing. If you've never had a phone like this, then consider yourself lucky.

But please stop telling the unlucky people who have them that they are idiots... It is possible they have an iPhone that scratches wayyyy more easily than normal. I know because I had one.

I would agree with this, as I've had the same experience. Have owned every iPhone except for the 7 series, and my 6s is the only one that got scratches on the screen.

Reactions: Toocoolracing

Toocoolracing

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
Yes!! (to the OP). My daughters iPhone 8 screen is scratched to hell. It looks like the old iPods 15 years ago. And it’s not her.

She’s 13. This is her 3rd iPhone. And I’ve had them since the beginning. Her previous ones (6 & 7) she had a for a year or two without a mark on them. She turned in her 7 clean as a whistle...only 2 months and her 8 screen looks like crap with random scratches and even gouges all over it.

I took it to Apple and received no satisfaction.

I thoroughly believe there is some sort of manufacturing defect because nothing else makes any sense. She handled her 7 in the exact same manner, same places, same way, same case and it was fine.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I would agree with this, as I've had the same experience. Have owned every iPhone except for the 7 series, and my 6s is the only one that got scratches on the screen.
I on the other hand have a 6S+ that spent the last two years in my front pocket with no scratches.

bdobsonca

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Is it just me or has anyone else had an unreasonable amount of sctatches on their iPhone 8 already?

I opened my phone and used it for only a few hours before I noticed a significant amount of scratches on it.

Please, please stop it with the Gate stuff. Sorry I didn't read anything else you wrote.
[doublepost=1511044821][/doublepost]
No surprise here at all.
Apple does not want your iPhone to be 'as new' scratch free, in 12 months, as it should btw at these price levels.
Why?
Just like annual iOS slowdowns it will ensure a steady revenue flow due to customers who 'have to' Upgrade.
Who wants a tatty slow smartphone, when there is a shinny new latest model out in September 2018.

This is nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense.

Last edited:

Zdeno

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019

[doublepost=1549958728][/doublepost]Yeah same man i now use iphone 8 for 1 month and i have so many scratches even deep scratches and i dont kniw where are they comming from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.