Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iPhone scratching?

• Total voters

rarebeauty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Not being snarky... just asking the obvious.

Millions of people "gently handle" their new phones, myself included... and don't end up with "noticeable scratches."

But it's the design of the phone that is to blame... no doubt.
You said, “I’m guessing you are one of those people who don’t (should be “doesn't”) believe in cases or screen protectors either...” Sound pretty snarky and presumptuous to me. Either way, I don’t have explain myself to a stranger on the internet. I said what I said and my feelings still remain the same. Good day.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Either way, I don’t have explain myself to a stranger on the internet. I said what I said and my feelings still remain the same. Good day.

So why bother posting "I have the same issue. I’ve barely had it 48 hrs and there is already a noticible scratch on it. I’m one of “those” people. I like my items in pristine condition. So I’m thinking of just returning it and keeping my 7 Plus until the X comes out."

What are you gonna do when you scratch the X? Gonna return that too?

LOL... probably.

If you like your items in pristine condition... take better care of them. I've had a dozen phones dating back to 1998 and have never scratched or damaged any of them.

Good day.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I have a couple on the back of the phone near the bottom edges that can be seen if you look hard. I had it in a case since day one so not sure where it came from. But doesn’t bother me

rarebeauty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
So why bother posting "I have the same issue. I’ve barely had it 48 hrs and there is already a noticible scratch on it. I’m one of “those” people. I like my items in pristine condition. So I’m thinking of just returning it and keeping my 7 Plus until the X comes out."

LOL... probably.

If you like your items in pristine condition... take better care of them. I've had a dozen phones dating back to 1998 and have never scratched or damaged any of them.

Good day.
If I still have a iPhone 7 Plus that I may go back to (had it since release day), and I like my items in pristine condition, what does that tell you? You are so “smart”, yet you are dense.

Last edited:

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I really don’t understand knowing a phone has a glass front and back, knowing that said phone will be in various sorts of environments, knowing the properties of glass, and then being surprised when scratches occur when not using a case and screen protector. I use both and expect over time, I may pick up one or two... because stuff like kind can happen and you won’t even know how it got there...

I’ve seen more than enough people using phones with cracked glass and beat up looking exteriors. As much as I’d like to run around naked all the time with this phone, it’s not for me.

Team Naked can do what they want, but the odds for avoiding scratches are not in your favor.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
I did the same as TrumpWon! Immediately after picking up my iPhone 8 Plus at the Sprint store I went straight to Best Buy and got an Invisible Shield and a clear Otter Box case.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Wow. Looks like a major issue. I have the 7 Plus, naked for a year and no scratches on front. Just scratches on back, light ones you can only see in a certain light and angle. Nothing like the scratches posted here. Not good, I’d be pissed. The X better have better quality glass.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Yeah for the screen I went with a glass screen protector as well. If it gets scratched I swap it out for $5.

It amazes me how people spend $1000 on a device and then go cheese mode when it comes to protecting it.

"Oh, but cases are ugly. I prefer to go without a case."

Suit yourself... but when you drop it and crack your screen or remove the phone from your pocket and see it's got a scratch on it all you have to blame is the guy in the mirror.

It amazes me that when you spend $1000 on a phone that you would need to protect it. At that price it should be almost bulletproof.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
If there's some type of coating, it can be a QC fix. If not, that's the way she tumbles folks.
The tiny few who enjoy a little character wear on their devices get the same smile once again.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
This here is the answer. Harder glass is more scratch-resistant but is more likely to shatter, and vice-versa. Unfortunately those who aren't careless and/or use cases kind of get screwed if Apple or Corning decide to prioritize shatter-resistance over scratch-resistance. I've owned an iPhone since the 3GS and have manage to not once break the glass on my phones. This includes carrying the 3GS and 4S without a case.

Yeah kinda ticks me off tbh, I would much rather scratch resistance than drop resistance, if one is so concerned with keeping their phone intact and they buy a GLASS phone, then use a case. I just after much debate, pulled the trigger on the Note 8 and yes... I did get a slim case for it. Need to order the film for the front now. I am not too impressed with the glass screen config for curved screens.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
It’s not a Teflon pan
The surface will abrade
[doublepost=1506894335][/doublepost]
It amazes me that when you spend $1000 on a phone that you would need to protect it. At that price it should be almost bulletproof.
Use to hear the same thing when first time shutterbugs brough their battered Nikons into the camera store, Oh boo hoo

Reactions: ABC5S

ccrollins

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
Is it just me or has anyone else had an unreasonable amount of sctatches on their iPhone 8 already?

I opened my phone and used it for only a few hours before I noticed a significant amount of scratches on it.

Has anyone else had an issue?

Yes, I had an iPhone 6 Plus for two years, no scratching (other than very minor micro scratches), carried in my purse, no issues. Got the iPhone 8 Plus -- received two (what I consider fairly deep) scratches and one longer very thin one after just a few days. Of course I have a screen protector on now, but was amazed at how quickly it scratched -- it almost looks like it got pressed down hard on a earring or an object. No idea what it could have been -- this screen is definitely not as scratch resistant as my iPhone 6 Plus. I've been hearing a lot issues about the screens and glass for the iPhone 8 series.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012

LOL... probably.

Good day.

Is there really a need for you to act like this? I’d insult the hell out of you, but I’ll refrain so I don’t get suspended. But come on. Grow up, man. You’re not the center of the universe. Not everyone’s experiences will mirror your own.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Didn't they say last year that the 7 was scratch-prone? If so, I haven't used a screen protector on my 7 Plus and have no scratches.

http://bgr.com/2017/01/12/best-iphone-7-screen-protector-amazon/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7706568?start=0&tstart=0

Posts like these are useless (not just yours, i mean in general). Everyones case is different just like those drop test videos are useless. I have had my iPhone 7 Plus since last November and there are at least 5 minor scratches on the screen without ever dropping it. I can only make them out in sun light which we do not have a lot of in Germany lol

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Posts like these are useless (not just yours, i mean in general). Everyones case is dofferent just like those drop tests are useless. I have had my iPhone 7 Plus since last November and there are at least 5 minor scratches on the screen without ever dropping it. I can only make them out in sun light which we do not have a lot of in Germany lol
It's called looking for a problem that isn't really a big deal... but in great numbers can be capitalized and made into news.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Posts like these are useless (not just yours, i mean in general). Everyones case is different just like those drop test videos are useless. I have had my iPhone 7 Plus since last November and there are at least 5 minor scratches on the screen without ever dropping it. I can only make them out in sun light which we do not have a lot of in Germany lol
It's called looking for a problem that isn't really a big deal... but in great numbers can be capitalized and made into news.

Not useless. My point was that the same problems get reported every single year: yellow or blotchy screens, scratches, popping or loose screens, etc. It's difficult to tell if one particular iPhone model is really worse than another as far as having these "defects."
[doublepost=1507014781][/doublepost]

Or, in your case, a new thread. :D

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Is there really a need for you to act like this? I’d insult the hell out of you, but I’ll refrain so I don’t get suspended. But come on. Grow up, man. You’re not the center of the universe. Not everyone’s experiences will mirror your own.

I'm plenty grown up... I'm 43 actually.

Still doesn't change the fact it's pure ignorance to scratch your phone and then claim it's Apple's fault.

Really? Show me in the iPhone specs where it says the phone and screen are scratch PROOF.

Go ahead... I'll wait.

That'd be like me getting a scratch on my car and blaming Dodge.

P.S.

If you want to mirror my experiences... invest $25 in a case and screen protector. Pretty cheap for a $1000 device. But no... people would rather return their device because of a scratch... which is nobody's fault but their own.

Thanks... and have a nice day. :)

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I don’t use screen protectors, never have. I don’t baby my phone but I don’t put it in a pocket with keys or coins. No marks on my 8 plus whatsoever or any of my previous phones.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017

Because it's an iPhone not Caterpillar

This is Caterpillar

cat-s41-0.jpg

cat-s41-1.jpg

Last edited:

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I actually dropped my phone on concrete at the gas station. With a very thin case on it. It landed so the screen hit the floor. I was sure it had some micro abrasions on it.

Not a damn thing. Apparently, the screen is one level more scratch resistant than the 7/7 Plus on the Mohs hardness scale. I watched 3 different reputable youtubers get the Mohs kit and do a scratch test and both showed it one notch up from the previous gen.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Because it's an iPhone not Caterpillar

This is Caterpillar

cat-s41-0.jpg

cat-s41-1.jpg
That makes absolutely no sense. If you buy a $5 hammer, if it breaks with normal use, you get what you pay for. If you buy a $50 hammer, you dont expect it to break with normal use. I expect a cheap $300 phone to scratch with normal use, not a $1000+ phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.