Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
The first mistake was dropping your phone. Unfortunate, but bad luck happens.

The second mistake was getting something out of the misfortune. Double whammy.

The third mistake was to get advice for something that was clearly your fault as you state. Triple whammy.

Bad luck happens dude. Soak it up. Maybe the drop is trying to tell you something and the money could be saved to use for an emergency or something. Just giving my two cents.

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
I have been fortunate enough to purchase my new phone every year outright by using the funds from reselling my previous model, and this year I was planning on selling my iPhone X to help buy the iPhone XS Max.

I'm not really a fan of trying to sell my devices on eBay and so usually just take the offer from Apple's buyback scheme or Envirofone, it is hassle free and is really the only way I could afford to purchase a new phone.

Just yesterday I decided to get my iPhone ready for resell by giving it a clean and polish (I like to make sure it looks presentable). Well, I decided that after having the phone for 8 months and not dropping it once, that I would be safe without the tempered glass screen protector that has been on the device from day one. Well of course only three hours after cleaning and removing the screen protector I dropped it and chipped the bottom of the screen. I made an appointment and raced to my local apple store and spoke to a genius who told me the phone would now only be worth £125, instead of the £550 for a 'working device'

I explained to him that I had preordered the new iPhone and was really banking on reselling my iPhone X to cover a significant part of the cost, naively thinking that they may have mercy on me and offer to purchase it at the £550, or maybe replace the screen free of charge as I would be giving them the phone back in less than 24 hours.

I was careful not the allude to this however as I was aware that the issue was my own doing. In fact I told him that it would still make financially sense for me to get the screen repaired and sell it at 'working condition' £550- £280 (iPhone X screen repair) = £270. The guy in the store then proceeded to tell me that I 'shouldn't even bother upgrading' and I 'was just greedy', which I was really taken aback with. Anyway as I had only managed to get an appointment at 6.15pm they said my iPhone wouldn't be ready same day so I would have to come back.

I was genuinely really taken aback by the customer service in the store - very unlike any apple store experience I have ever had.

I'm not really sure what to do know, looks like I may have to return my iPhone Xs Max as soon as it arrives tomorrow. If anyone can think of a solution to my problem it would really help me out.
I feel sorry for your phone. But I can't understand why people are selling the phones that they love?
I sold one phone in my life, the Nokia 6630 because it was piece of crap.
I would never sell my 6S Plus.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I feel sorry for your phone. But I can't understand why people are selling the phones that they love?
I sold one phone in my life, the Nokia 6630 because it was piece of crap.
I would never sell my 6S Plus.
So when you upgrade that 6s+, what will you do with it? Stick it in a drawer?

The OP wants to upgrade to a new phone and has no need for his current one. Why not sell it to defray the costs of the new Xs.

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
So when you upgrade that 6s+, what will you do with it? Stick it in a drawer?

The OP wants to upgrade to a new phone and has no need for his current one. Why not sell it to defray the costs of the new Xs.
I need secondary phone. If I wouldn't need one (I don't know how this dual sim will work), I can give it to mom or dad.
I will stick old LG with not-properly-working screen in the drawer instead.:p (it wasn't my phone, got it for free, would never pay for that crap)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If selling your used phone is the only way you can afford the latest iPhone, you are living beyond your means, in my opinion.

It is tough break, to have an accident right before you complete a sale. Maybe if you had been upfront and honest with the person at Apple, some mercy might have been shown to you. Now, you will never know. I think you handled it poorly.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Yeah it’s a pretty sucky thing to happen, especially as it devalues the X so dramatically. The person in the shop shouldn’t have called you greedy either, what’s that all about. Also £289 to repair the screen is frankly obscene.

But then again some of the usual apologists would probably defend Apple even if it had just murdered their entire family lol

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
There is always two sides of the story.
yes, there is, and yet you have chosen to call me entitled, when you have failed to understand my side of the story. I know that I was an idiot and I know dropping my phone was my own fault (which I thought I had made clear in the OP). Therefore when entering the store (feeling like an idiot) and explaining to the genius that even with getting the screen fixed at £280 I would still be in better shape than if I had sold it 'damaged' and I had made an appointment to have the screen fixed I was ever so slightly confused by the guys response 'I think that's crazy', and 'why do you need an upgrade? you are just greedy' -seemed like a strange response.

Reactions: 5105973

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Yeah it’s a pretty sucky thing to happen, especially as it devalues the X so dramatically. The person in the shop shouldn’t have called you greedy either, what’s that all about. Also £289 to repair the screen is frankly obscene.

But then again some of the usual apologists would probably defend Apple even if it had just murdered their entire family lol
Expecting something for free, when one is not due such, is not being greedy?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
yes, there is, and yet you have chosen to call me entitled, when you have failed to understand my side of the story. I know that I was an idiot and I know dropping my phone was my own fault (which I thought I had made clear in the OP). Therefore when entering the store (feeling like an idiot) and explaining to the genius that even with getting the screen fixed at £280 I would still be in better shape than if I had sold it 'damaged' and I had made an appointment to have the screen fixed I was ever so slightly confused by the guys response 'I think that's crazy', and 'why do you need an upgrade? you are just greedy' -seemed like a strange response.

It is a forum. Sorry if I offended you but this is what happens when you post something like this. I understood your original post all too well.

It is not just my opinion (which is allowed here) many others feel the same. Best to move on and not let this upset you.

Reactions: brand and Dormammu

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
Hi. I am an Apple Genius. I had some punk come in today with a destroyed phone, and he expected us to replace it at no cost to him. He gave me a sob story about him not being able to afford a new phone without reselling this one. I told him to be grateful for what he has and to stop being so dang greedy.

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
None of us were there to be able to hear the comments from the guy in the store. It's possible in your frantic state you misinterpreted his remarks as being something more than they were. Just a theory, sometimes my missus takes the words people in shops use VERY differently than I do and gets all irate about it. But again, I wasn't there so I can't really comment.

It's also possible you're focusing more on the fact they won't buy the phone off you at the original price and this has skewed your perception of the experience.

But all that is speculation. At the end of the day I sympathise with you I really do. My current X is financing part of my new XS Max purchase, and if I dropped mine now I'd be beside myself.

It really boils down to this, the current phone is damaged and worth only a fraction of what it was, you have 3 choices as I see it:

1. Fix the X, sell it for the full price and chalk it up to one of lifes ironic situations.
2. Keep it, fix it and immediately return the new one and chalk it up to one of lifes ironic situations.
3. Sell it for the lower price, keep the new one and.......(you know what I'm gonna say lol)

I really do feel for you, but I think you already know what your options are, and they are limited unfortunately. Best of luck dude.
I never truly expected them too, it was wishful thinking. I was well aware of the cost of the repair and I had factor that into deciding if selling the phone broken would have made sense, or if fixing it and reselling it in working condition would be a better option. You sometimes hear of these exceptional cases with Apple were they bend the rules- I feel like all I did was imagine the best ( as well as the worse) case scenario.

It is a really rubbish situation (self inflicted), and I bit the bullet an got it fixed today, ready for the xs max tomorrow morning. It was just one of those things. The OP was meant to be a 'funny' story of my stupidity and maybe for someone could have given me a little advice or an idea that I hadn't thought off.

The guy was partially 'douche' however went to another store today and they were great, sympathetic and didn't make me feel worse than I already did.
[doublepost=1537470779][/doublepost]
I would be irritated too if someone came in asking for something free and complaining about how he couldn’t get what he wanted because of his own actions.

It sounds like you’re trying to enlist the Apple employee to help you solve your own bad situation. That’s not his job to help you figure out your financial situation to pay for a new phone.

So if he acted unprofessional it’s because you’re asking him to be unprofessional.
I think you need to reread the OP. You seem confused.
[doublepost=1537470833][/doublepost]
Hi. I am an Apple Genius. I had some punk come in today with a destroyed phone, and he expected us to replace it at no cost to him. He gave me a sob story about him not being able to afford a new phone without reselling this one. I told him to be grateful for what he has and to stop being so dang greedy.
Really, that guys sounds like a Wally. hope you told him where to go.
[doublepost=1537470905][/doublepost]
It is a forum. Sorry if I offended you but this is what happens when you post something like this. I understood your original post all too well.

It is not just my opinion (which is allowed here) many others feel the same. Best to move on and not let this upset you.
Don't really let iPhones and guys on forums upset me. I'm far too entitled for that.
[doublepost=1537471187][/doublepost]
If selling your used phone is the only way you can afford the latest iPhone, you are living beyond your means, in my opinion.

It is tough break, to have an accident right before you complete a sale. Maybe if you had been upfront and honest with the person at Apple, some mercy might have been shown to you. Now, you will never know. I think you handled it poorly.
Seriously have I done such a bad job of explaining the events of the day?

1. guy is cleaning iPhone for resell and drops it over the sink. Screen has a minor chip.
2. guy looks on apple and sees original resell value of £550. GONE! £125 now
3. guy checks cost of new screen £280. figures out replacing screen and reselling is more lucrative that damaged.
4. guy makes appointment. Is completely upfront and admits his stupidly to apple genius.
5. guy would NEVER, and did NOT ask the genius to bend the rules, or expect him too.
6. Apple Genius is douche who calls him greedy for wanting a new phone.
7. Troll on macrumors has an opinion on guy's means.

There we go.

[doublepost=1537471232][/doublepost]
Expecting something for free, when one is not due such, is not being greedy?
sorry when did I once say I EXPECTED anything. Please quote me?

Last edited:

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
1. guy is cleaning iPhone for resell and drops it over the sink. Screen has a minor chip.
3. guy checks cost of new screen £280. figures out replacing screen and reselling is more lucrative that damaged.
4. guy makes appointment. Is completely upfront and admits his stupidly to apple genius.
5. guy would NEVER, and did NOT ask the genius to bend the rules, or expect him too.

8. guy is so upset by thread backfire that he begins posting in third person.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I never truly expected them too, it was wishful thinking. I was well aware of the cost of the repair and I had factor that into deciding if selling the phone broken would have made sense, or if fixing it and reselling it in working condition would be a better option. You sometimes hear of these exceptional cases with Apple were they bend the rules- I feel like all I did was imagine the best ( as well as the worse) case scenario.

It is a really rubbish situation (self inflicted), and I bit the bullet an got it fixed today, ready for the xs max tomorrow morning. It was just one of those things. The OP was meant to be a 'funny' story of my stupidity and maybe for someone could have given me a little advice or an idea that I hadn't thought off.

The guy was partially 'douche' however went to another store today and they were great, sympathetic and didn't make me feel worse than I already did.
[doublepost=1537470779][/doublepost]
I think you need to reread the OP. You seem confused.
[doublepost=1537470833][/doublepost]
Really, that guys sounds like a Wally. hope you told him where to go.
[doublepost=1537470905][/doublepost]
Don't really let iPhones and guys on forums upset me. I'm far too entitled for that.
[doublepost=1537471187][/doublepost]
Seriously have I done such a bad job of explaining the events of the day?

There we go.

[doublepost=1537471232][/doublepost]
sorry when did I once say I EXPECTED anything. Please quote me?
Your own words show your thinking and intent, even if you did not utter verbatim you expected thus and thus.

"I explained to him that I had preordered the new iPhone and was really banking on reselling my iPhone X to cover a significant part of the cost, naively thinking that they may have mercy on me and offer to purchase it at the £550, or maybe replace the screen free of charge as I would be giving them the phone back in less than 24 hours.

I was careful not the allude to this..."

If you want to get defensive, go ahead. I stand by what I said. I don''t see the need to debate the matter, as you have gotten the phone repaired already.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Some of the judgement in this thread is quite astonishing. Apple have been known to make generous gestures in the past so it is not beyond reason for the OP to see what they would offer. I read quite clearly from his post that his expectations were low, so there's no sense of entitlement. Seriously - if you came into the thread to either judge the OP, questions his finances or just be nasty, perhaps take a step back. I didn't realise this community was the place to receive life lessons.

OP - I feel your pain and what happened was really bad luck. If I were you, I'd try to maximise it's value by selling on eBay.

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
Also having “good debt” like a carloan, mortgage or student loans and paying it every month responsively is really great for your credit score. People are here saying “I’m debt free” as if that’s a good thing. I mean, it is a good thing, but it doesn’t necessarily help you either.

People defending OP are missing the point. I think everyone here giving their opinions took him wanting to get his phone fixed for free the wrong way. I know I did. Also the fact that he was banking on selling his phone for the full trade-in value to be able to afford the XS Max screams he’s living above his means. If he didn’t want us to give him our opinion on the matter then maybe he shouldn’t have posted anything to begin with.

Don't worry buddy. OP is doing just fine, but thanks for the concern. Also I think you have managed to take the whole situation 'the wrong way'.
[doublepost=1537471618][/doublepost]
Some of the judgement in this thread is quite astonishing. Apple have been known to make generous gestures in the past so it is not beyond reason for the OP to see what they would offer. I read quite clearly from his post that his expectations were low, so there's no sense of entitlement. Seriously - if you came into the thread to either judge the OP, questions his finances or just be nasty, perhaps take a step back. I didn't realise this community was the place to receive life lessons.

OP - I feel your pain and what happened was really bad luck. If I were you, I'd try to maximise it's value by selling on eBay.
Thank you. You understand me.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
OP, fix that phone up, sell it on Swappa (I can't stand eBay), enjoy your XS Max. Take the loss and move on. I'm sure you learned your lesson the hard way, but keep that screen protector on even after you sell your next phone. Let the buyer choose to either keep it or replace it himself / herself.

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
Your own words show your thinking and intent, even if you did not utter verbatim you expected thus and thus.

"I explained to him that I had preordered the new iPhone and was really banking on reselling my iPhone X to cover a significant part of the cost, naively thinking that they may have mercy on me and offer to purchase it at the £550, or maybe replace the screen free of charge as I would be giving them the phone back in less than 24 hours.

I was careful not the allude to this..."

If you want to get defensive, go ahead. I stand by what I said. I don''t see the need to debate the matter, as you have gotten the phone repaired already.
you seem far to confused.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Just think, somewhere in this world millions of people are worried about where their next meal will come from, or where they will sleep tonight.

But here on Macrumors we have deep, philosophical conversations about whether or not it is "rude" when a for-profit business doesn't fix a broken phone for free?

Nope. That was never in question. Try harder. The OP thought, quite correctly that the words the Apple employee used were rude.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
I have been fortunate enough to purchase my new phone every year outright by using the funds from reselling my previous model, and this year I was planning on selling my iPhone X to help buy the iPhone XS Max.

I'm not really a fan of trying to sell my devices on eBay and so usually just take the offer from Apple's buyback scheme or Envirofone, it is hassle free and is really the only way I could afford to purchase a new phone.

Just yesterday I decided to get my iPhone ready for resell by giving it a clean and polish (I like to make sure it looks presentable). Well, I decided that after having the phone for 8 months and not dropping it once, that I would be safe without the tempered glass screen protector that has been on the device from day one. Well of course only three hours after cleaning and removing the screen protector I dropped it and chipped the bottom of the screen. I made an appointment and raced to my local apple store and spoke to a genius who told me the phone would now only be worth £125, instead of the £550 for a 'working device'

I explained to him that I had preordered the new iPhone and was really banking on reselling my iPhone X to cover a significant part of the cost, naively thinking that they may have mercy on me and offer to purchase it at the £550, or maybe replace the screen free of charge as I would be giving them the phone back in less than 24 hours.

I was careful not the allude to this however as I was aware that the issue was my own doing. In fact I told him that it would still make financially sense for me to get the screen repaired and sell it at 'working condition' £550- £280 (iPhone X screen repair) = £270. The guy in the store then proceeded to tell me that I 'shouldn't even bother upgrading' and I 'was just greedy', which I was really taken aback with. Anyway as I had only managed to get an appointment at 6.15pm they said my iPhone wouldn't be ready same day so I would have to come back.

I was genuinely really taken aback by the customer service in the store - very unlike any apple store experience I have ever had.

I'm not really sure what to do know, looks like I may have to return my iPhone Xs Max as soon as it arrives tomorrow. If anyone can think of a solution to my problem it would really help me out.
Sell on eBay!! I do it EVERY time I upgrade. I’ve really gotten used to it, and it’s easily the best return on value. I get upwards of 75% of my purchase price.
It’s not hard at all, highly recommend for anyone who updates their phone annually to get used to eBaying.

Reactions: kryten3000

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

Claim on Applecare Plus.

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
UPDATE: went to a nice apple store today with very sympathetic staff who joked with me about my stupidity. After the cost of getting the screen fixed, I will have £270 to take off the cost of my XS Max. Still better than nothing though. And it will be a good chunk of next year's iPhone, unless of course I manage to smash this one as well.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
If you plan on upgrading every year, you should not be buying outright. Complete waste of money, and extreme hassle.

I'm upgrading my iPhone X to a Xs Max and thanks to AT&T NEXT, it is a painless process. Oh, and I only paid a whopping $564 spread out over 12 months for my $1100 iPhone X.

Really tired of seeing the "buy outright" crowd try and justify their decision. It is painful to watch.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Sell on eBay!! I do it EVERY time I upgrade. I’ve really gotten used to it, and it’s easily the best return on value. I get upwards of 75% of my purchase price.
It’s not hard at all, highly recommend for anyone who updates their phone annually to get used to eBaying.
Please explain how. If you bought a X last year at $1000 and IF you were lucky to sell it for $750(I would say this is on the high side), then there is 10% eBay fee and 3% PayPal fee. That brings you down to $652, far from 75%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.