Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
If you plan on upgrading every year, you should not be buying outright. Complete waste of money, and extreme hassle.

I'm upgrading my iPhone X to a Xs Max and thanks to AT&T NEXT, it is a painless process. Oh, and I only paid a whopping $564 spread out over 12 months for my $1100 iPhone X.

Really tired of seeing the "buy outright" crowd try and justify their decision. It is painful to watch.

That sounds fantastic. Currently in the UK on the carrier I use EE it is £98 a month for the iPhone xs max 256gb which over 12 months is £1,176 + £40 up front = £1,216, before price rises which effect contracts every April. For me, PERSONALLY, Reselling my previous handset at full value with Apple ( extremely hassle free) means the cost of the iPhone XS Max is £649.With a sim only deal at £20 for 12 months, the total cost for the year is £889. And I don't have to worry about keeping up with ridiculous amounts of cash coming out of my account every month- in case my circumstances change.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
These are my favorite threads on MR. So deliciously entertaining and the OP didn't even meant to be.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Jeez, stop piling on the guy. He had an accident. Happens and he's dealing with it.

Stop parsing every little word and twisting it in order to insult him.

1. He wasn't expecting to get a free screen replacement. He was hoping that they would offer one. He didn't ask directly. They didn't offer. End of story. (aside - there are lots of stories where Apple hooks a member up with a free repair or replacement, the OP was hoping this would be his turn at the lottery)

2. He didn't lie about anything, which lots of people would do in this situation. They'd walk right in and tell the genius that the screen just cracked. The OP didn't do that, so stop treating him like he's doing something sinister.

3. Stop criticizing folks financial situations. The OP was counting on the UK550 in order to be able to purchase the new Xs. That's all. If after a UK280 hit to replace the screen, he can no longer "afford" to get the Xs, that's OK. That's not saying that he can or can't afford it ... all it says is that he no longer finds a compelling case to upgrade to the Xs for UK730 (instead of UK450). Doesn't mean he's living paycheck to paycheck or above his means.

3a. And even if he's living above his means, it's none of your damned business.

4. He's asking for advice, not criticism.

Just wanted to vent. Sorry if I offend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
The OP has buried the lede, which is leading to discussions that aren’t on issue. If someone at the Apple store called you greedy and said rude things to you, then tell the manager. It might even get you a discount on a new screen.

All other discussions about his motives are irrelevant. Red herring.

Reactions: Ntombi

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Question - if you already ordered the Max I assume you have paid for it already?
So if you are trading in the iPhone X for 550 credit against the Max, how are you going to purchase it since its already on its way and paid for?
Or have I got this wrong?

Im doing the same as you but I would rather sell my iPhone X privately. £550 is too low. A good private sale should net you £800-850, with the average being around £750-800.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
OP, sounds like the guy was a jerk. That sucks.

Why would the Apple store freely repair your phone that you damaged? If you can't afford the new phone without relying on the proceeds from selling your "old" one, maybe upgrading this year isn't your best bet.
Meh, I sold each old phone to help pay for the new phone year after year until I moved to the AT&T Next program. It’s not uncommon, and it’s not a bad practice, unless you drop the old one!

Reactions: jsbhowell13

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
So you dropped the phone, and wanted them to fix it for free, so you can afford the next phone? I know it sucks that you cracked your phone, but you need to take personal responsibility over the act. You were "careful not to allude how it occurred" its clear you were trying to hide that you broke the phone. Of course they knew how it the screen cracked they're not idiots.

While its not kosher to call a customer greedy, I think the they easily saw through the fact that you were trying to game them so you could get the most money for your phone
YOU are a moderator. what site have I signed up for.

Reactions: davidjearly

Loadsled

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
Lol “I was hoping they freely fixed my phone since I was turning it in, in less than 24 hours”

No.

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
I mean technically you didn't ask for special treatment, but you were hoping for it. I think everyone is picking up on you being annoyed that you weren't specially treated. At some level, that indicates feelings of entitlement in some people's eyes.

"thinking that they may have mercy on me and offer to purchase it at the £550, or maybe replace the screen free of charge"
just wishful thinking. Apple have pretty stellar customer service. never expected :)
[doublepost=1537475212][/doublepost]
Question - if you already ordered the Max I assume you have paid for it already?
So if you are trading in the iPhone X for 550 credit against the Max, how are you going to purchase it since its already on its way and paid for?
Or have I got this wrong?

Im doing the same as you but I would rather sell my iPhone X privately. £550 is too low. A good private sale should net you £800-850, with the average being around £750-800.
I have been watching sales on ebay. £850 is pushing it I think. Then there is the commission and rates involved and the hassle of bots and fake bidders, its not for me personally. In answer to your question, I only realised today that it was store credit, the guy in the store told me if I come in with my iPhone tomorrow he can refund me and then I can repurchase with the credit. He was really great.

Reactions: Ifti

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
OP, sounds like the guy was a jerk. That sucks.

Meh, I sold each old phone to help pay for the new phone year after year until I moved to the AT&T Next program. It’s not uncommon, and it’s not a bad practice, unless you drop the old one!

I don't disagree with the premise of what you're saying. It's bad luck, which certainly sucks, and I'm sure we've all been in that position of accidentally damaging our Apple product. However, separate from the genius being a jerk or not, that doesn't entitle him to a free repair.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
He dropped his phone. It broke because it was dropped.

Correct, that part didn't escape me at all.
[doublepost=1537475381][/doublepost]
If you plan on upgrading every year, you should not be buying outright. Complete waste of money, and extreme hassle.

I'm upgrading my iPhone X to a Xs Max and thanks to AT&T NEXT, it is a painless process. Oh, and I only paid a whopping $564 spread out over 12 months for my $1100 iPhone X.

Really tired of seeing the "buy outright" crowd try and justify their decision. It is painful to watch.

It's a lot like leasing a car. for someone ho needs a reliable daily driver.

I have a unique use case as I have to retain my old devices as a business necessity. A lease program wouldn't work to that effect.

Also, some people don't have the credit for a lease, even a leased iPhone.

Last edited:

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Apparently so, but a guy can dream.

These people are being overly harsh. I’m sure everyone is aware of how generous Apple can be sometimes and I’d call them a liar if they told me they didn’t hope when they took an item into Apple for some reason that they would BE one of the lucky people to get a free repair or free item from Apple.

You just vocalized it...

Edit: I didn’t take your OP to sounding entitled...

cai4651

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
The OP really wanted the new Xs Max, he dropped the phone (All of us been there) and it's a really bad moment. Don't bully him , he only needed to post this to feel better.
I hope you could buy the new IPHONE soon!
Try to fix the screen and give it to a family member. It's better than Apple offer and you will feel better

rhaatou

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
I do wonder if the OP didn’t misinterpret the comments of the genius. Maybe he wasn’t being a douche and was just trying to give a subtle hint that the new models aren’t that different and having an X and not XS isn’t that big of a deal.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I do wonder if the OP didn’t misinterpret the comments of the genius. Maybe he wasn’t being a douche and was just trying to give a subtle hint that the new models aren’t that different and having an X and not XS isn’t that big of a deal.
That’s always a possibility. It’s better to give people a lot of benefit of a doubt when your nerves are raw from something very upsetting. Even something intended as a joke can sound like an attack.

Still, service at Apple Stores has been hit or miss for me. It really depends on who the employee is and can really be luck of the draw, even if you’re trying to do something by their book on their terms and you get someone who is just not in the mood to engage with customers right then.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Next time do not clean it just surrender it to Apple and they usually have someone doing the cleaning at their facilities anyways. I guess you have to charge it on a credit card if you want the new Xs Max. The iPhone X cost a lot to do any repairs on it. I hope you have some sort of insurance to cover this accident. Otherwise, I just cancel my order and live with you current damage iPhone. It will serve as a lesson next time to be more careful in doing stuff in general.

Write an email to Tim Cook and tell him your story. He made this year alone $120 million. He may just send a "free" one to you just to feel good. I kind of doubt it but still it a 1 in a 100K shot at getting a new iPhone.

Last edited:

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
Please explain how. If you bought a X last year at $1000 and IF you were lucky to sell it for $750(I would say this is on the high side), then there is 10% eBay fee and 3% PayPal fee. That brings you down to $652, far from 75%.
Please explain how. If you bought a X last year at $1000 and IF you were lucky to sell it for $750(I would say this is on the high side), then there is 10% eBay fee and 3% PayPal fee. That brings you down to $652, far from 75%.
Far from? You mean 65% in that scenario? Let’s take into account that’s just YOUR made up scenario, in which case it’s still only a difference of 10%. Most Apple products under a year old on eBay kept in perfect condition with original box etc. are about 20% off manufacture cost. Especially iPhones. Typically I end up selling my iPhone to someone’s who’s user name is for example “iPhoneBuyer” (or some variation) who then flips them for slightly more than what they paid.
You made a good point, eBay and PayPal get their share, I didn’t factor that in. Either way, IMO selling on eBay is a way better alternative than a trade in. There’s a reason trade-ins are considered the easier way to go, they make it simple but your cutting into you margin.

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I have been fortunate enough to purchase my new phone every year outright by using the funds from reselling my previous model, and this year I was planning on selling my iPhone X to help buy the iPhone XS Max.

I'm not really a fan of trying to sell my devices on eBay and so usually just take the offer from Apple's buyback scheme or Envirofone, it is hassle free and is really the only way I could afford to purchase a new phone.

Just yesterday I decided to get my iPhone ready for resell by giving it a clean and polish (I like to make sure it looks presentable). Well, I decided that after having the phone for 8 months and not dropping it once, that I would be safe without the tempered glass screen protector that has been on the device from day one. Well of course only three hours after cleaning and removing the screen protector I dropped it and chipped the bottom of the screen. I made an appointment and raced to my local apple store and spoke to a genius who told me the phone would now only be worth £125, instead of the £550 for a 'working device'

I explained to him that I had preordered the new iPhone and was really banking on reselling my iPhone X to cover a significant part of the cost, naively thinking that they may have mercy on me and offer to purchase it at the £550, or maybe replace the screen free of charge as I would be giving them the phone back in less than 24 hours.

I was careful not the allude to this however as I was aware that the issue was my own doing. In fact I told him that it would still make sense financially for me to get the screen repaired and sell it at 'working condition' £550- £280 (iPhone X screen repair) = £270. The guy in the store then proceeded to tell me that I 'shouldn't even bother upgrading' and I 'was just greedy', which I was really taken aback with. Anyway as I had only managed to get an appointment at 6.15pm they said my iPhone wouldn't be ready same day so I would have to come back.

I was genuinely really taken aback by the customer service in the store - very unlike any apple store experience I have ever had.

I'm not really sure what to do know, looks like I may have to return my iPhone Xs Max as soon as it arrives tomorrow. If anyone can think of a solution to my problem it would really help me out.

How bad is the chip? Does the phone still function? If it isn’t bad and is at the very bottom of device split the difference and sell it to an individual that may not be able to afford to buy one in great condition for £150 off. Lessens the blow for you and gets someone on an x that wouldn’t be able to otherwise.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
There will be XSMax's available in the future and if you can't afford it now, keep the X, fix the screen and then trade it in later when you can afford it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.