Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have been watching sales on ebay. £850 is pushing it I think. Then there is the commission and rates involved and the hassle of bots and fake bidders, its not for me personally. In answer to your question, I only realised today that it was store credit, the guy in the store told me if I come in with my iPhone tomorrow he can refund me and then I can repurchase with the credit. He was really great.

Not sure how that works - as he is refunding you, but then the system see's it as a returned device, and he is then selling you a used item (even though its going back to the first owner)....didn't think they could do this.

Personally I'll be placing the iPhone X on Gumtree - it will be easy to get more then £550. £750 should be easily do-able and its a quick and easy cash upfront sale. Note that I also have another year of AppleCare+ so I was factoring that into the price too, which naturally increases resale value.
Nevertheless appreciate its not for everybody and some like the quicker option. Just £550 seems like a kick in the balls.

jsbhowell13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
London
The guy in the Apple store actually suggested I get my phone fixed else where and then sell it online with a third party screen. I didn’t feel comfortable doing that, I would hate for someone to think they were purchasing a mint iPhone, for apple to refuse service later down the line because of a third party screen repair.

Reactions: 5105973

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I feel sorry for you OP.

Firstly because you accidentally broke your phone less than a day before it would have been put of your hands.

Secondly because (as seems to happen a lot here) you have been treated appallingly for daring to express disappointment in Apple.

I'm glad you managed to sell your phone.

P.S. Welcome to MacRumours.

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
This story reminds me why I have phone insurance. I have a couple iPhone 7+ with Verizon Wireless Protect which covers through Asurion (~$8/month each). Now I’m upgrading and both have screen issues. Ones chipped badly on the edge of screen and another had a bright pressure spot. I had both screens replaced at the $29 deductible. The bright pressure spot persisted and Asurion overnighted a new Jet Black 7+. Now I can sell both phones at top dollar! I know the naysayers are going to say you spent $192 (total insurance) and $29 deductible per phone and the big companies always profit from us little guys,but you never know when you will damage or lose your phone and Asurion has great service and took care of things in 2 business days!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.