Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Apple serious about privacy?

• Total voters

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
Apple Notes collects the content of your notes and links it to your identity.

Before you use any personal note taking app you should do your research on them. There are e2e encrypted options out there (which, feature wise, should be a deal breaking necessity).

However, with Apple notes if you set a password for your notes then the notes are E2E encrypted, so they cannot collect any content this way.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec1782bcab1/web

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
I do not have anything to hide except my financials. All of these companies, to some extent, use your information to their advantage. I quit all social media and found it liberating. The amount of my time wasted on this was stupid. The world kept spinning and I don’t regret it!

Forums. like this, are as close to social media as it comes for me.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
First: Welcome to MR!

Second: While you argument around privacy, tracking, business based choices other companies, "own your data" etc. and Apple…

Oculus is a very advanced VR device.

you wrote that. 😂🤣

Sorry, that’s where you clearly moved into boffola country.

No need to reply. Can’t see it. Blocked.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/technology/google-surveillance-toddler-photo.html

For all those people that can't wait for a major privacy intrusion caled CSAM, this story is a great example of what people like me are warning about and how the deep scanning of our lifes won't change anything regarding the actual crime. This is exactly the case which we discussed here and some people still said that it can't happen because Apple is comparing the hashes, etc.. Well, it's true that Google is using different approach but this story can tell you how every piece of technology can be and is faulty. And imagine how it could destroy your life if some major company will call you a criminal. Even though is isn't true the label will stay with you possibly forever.
Your point on a broader scale is if a tech company wants or gas to surveil you it’s possible. Anything is possible, pick your scenario and then go from there. However it’s basically a straw man, since csam hash scanning is at least known to some extent.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
It’s a business strategy only.

I’m an Apple fan boy (>25 years) like most of you guys. I love my iPhone, iPad and Macs & buy every year new ones.
But one thing really bothers me.
Their constant emphasis on how important privacy is to them even they are not serious about it.

A big claim. I know. But hear me out.

1. Hidden tracker on Apple.com

Visit Apple.com using Safari. No trackers are shown.
Then visit Apple.com using DuckDuckGo. Apple is using it’s own tracker on it’s website.

2. Apple Notes collects the content of your notes and links it to your identity.

3. Apple Music collects your content, location, indentifiers, search history, usage data & more and links it to your identity

I mean with this information alone (notes content, location and music I’m listening to) they know everything about me.

Well I mean I don’t know it you are using Apple Notes or Apple Music as much as I do. But I know that I can not turn these data collecting practices off. (Sure stop using these products, but come on… it’s a way different practice than what they pretend to do)

4. It was Apple who created IDFA for advertisers and enabled it by default.

Yes, Apple enabled “Ask app to track” by default for you. For years!!!

It was Apple who shared your data.

They are not serious about privacy. They created it.

Disabling it by default (after years and years) was a business decision only.

Now that many companies were depending on it, they are turning it of your default.

Why?

To hurt these other companies.

Why?

Because these companies are becoming serious competition in the near future.

I have no doubt that Apples VR headset will be amazing.

But they will be competitors like never before.

(Although I personally would prefer using a headset from Apple, I think it’s not ok to use the power in such a way to hurt other companies and the users.)
Which is why I never use iCloud.

moons_mooniverse

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022
Before you use any personal note taking app you should do your research on them. There are e2e encrypted options out there (which, feature wise, should be a deal breaking necessity).

However, with Apple notes if you set a password for your notes then the notes are E2E encrypted, so they cannot collect any content this way.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec1782bcab1/web
Thanks for sharing! Not the best workflow to set a password for every single note, but still an option. Thank you!

moons_mooniverse

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022
Doesn’t this simply mean that notes can be stored in the cloud without end-to-end encryption? You will find the same disclaimer for any Apple app that uses iCloud.
I would love to know what this exactly means.
For now when I read that user content is collected and linked to my identity I understand that it’s exactly this.
So if anyone has more information about this I would love to hear that!

moons_mooniverse

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022
First: Welcome to MR!

Second: While you argument around privacy, tracking, business based choices other companies, "own your data" etc. and Apple…

you wrote that. 😂🤣

Sorry, that’s where you clearly moved into boffola country.

No need to reply. Can’t see it. Blocked.
I definitely believe that Apple collects less data than Facebook. That doesn’t mean that the oculus is not a great VR headset. I was really impressed when I tried it.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Apple is definitely more focused on privacy on a relative basis compared to Google, Twitter, etc. Apple also is more security focused on a relative basis compared to Microsoft and other computer manufacturers. So, for me, it's and obvious yes vote.

Have to define “privacy”. As for Apple keeping your info close held and not sharing … yes. However Apple won’t say what happens to that data or what Apple uses it for or what it shares.

Bigger thing I think is doing what you can to control your data and not keeping all your eggs under one banner.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for sharing! Not the best workflow to set a password for every single note, but still an option. Thank you!
No it’s not ideal, for personal notes I would choose something either foss self hosted, or something like Standard Notes. But the option is there in the 1st party app, which is a great app - and that’s a boon for privacy right there.

Reactions: moons_mooniverse

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
Have to define “privacy”. As for Apple keeping your info close held and not sharing … yes. However Apple won’t say what happens to that data or what Apple uses it for or what it shares.

Bigger thing I think is doing what you can to control your data and not keeping all your eggs under one banner.
I agree 100%. And that’s what I do. And anyone that knows this stuff does too.

But most don’t. And everyone in this camp is either iOS or a mainstream android flavour. Most don’t even know or sadly care what happens to their data, and for them, the choice should clearly be Apple.

This is Apple at what they do best, it just works; it’s privacy for the masses out of the box. Apple have your data, but there it seems to stay for the most part. Android takes a lot of work or a specific distro to be a better product than vanilla iOS, privacy wise. The target audience don’t know how or even know that they should.

You have to trust Apple, which obviously negates it all, but as I and you have said, those that know do things to mitigate this or to remove the need for trust.

Reactions: dk001

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I would love to know what this exactly means.
For now when I read that user content is collected and linked to my identity I understand that it’s exactly this.
So if anyone has more information about this I would love to hear that!

I checked a handful of Apple apps that can store data in iCloud and this disclaimer is present in all of them. It seems to me that this simply refers to the cloud storage. ICloud is not ent to end encrypted and Apple in theory can read the documents you store on the cloud.

Reactions: moons_mooniverse

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
Hang on a minute, so this notes thing…..if I wrote a note on apple notes saying I’m going for a dump at 0800 hours, Tim Cook could just decide to read that note and officially know I’m going for said dump at 0800 hours ?

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

Sergiu.

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2022
Really interesting conversation. I had my own questions somehow related to this, but it seems that topic did not received much attention.

The thing is... none of the stock Apple apps are going through the Privacy section of the iOS / iPadOS. Accessing Contacts, Microphone, Camera, Photos Library, Music Library, etc, everything is free on the table for stock apps, without any possibility to cut access to say... Messages app at Photos Library (just for example).

chama98

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2014
London
It’s a business strategy only.

I’m an Apple fan boy (>25 years) like most of you guys. I love my iPhone, iPad and Macs & buy every year new ones.
But one thing really bothers me.
Their constant emphasis on how important privacy is to them even they are not serious about it.

A big claim. I know. But hear me out.

1. Hidden tracker on Apple.com

Visit Apple.com using Safari. No trackers are shown.
Then visit Apple.com using DuckDuckGo. Apple is using it’s own tracker on it’s website.

2. Apple Notes collects the content of your notes and links it to your identity.

3. Apple Music collects your content, location, indentifiers, search history, usage data & more and links it to your identity

I mean with this information alone (notes content, location and music I’m listening to) they know everything about me.

Well I mean I don’t know it you are using Apple Notes or Apple Music as much as I do. But I know that I can not turn these data collecting practices off. (Sure stop using these products, but come on… it’s a way different practice than what they pretend to do)

4. It was Apple who created IDFA for advertisers and enabled it by default.

Yes, Apple enabled “Ask app to track” by default for you. For years!!!

It was Apple who shared your data.

They are not serious about privacy. They created it.

Disabling it by default (after years and years) was a business decision only.

Now that many companies were depending on it, they are turning it of your default.

Why?

To hurt these other companies.

Why?

Because these companies are becoming serious competition in the near future.

I have no doubt that Apples VR headset will be amazing.

But they will be competitors like never before.

(Although I personally would prefer using a headset from Apple, I think it’s not ok to use the power in such a way to hurt other companies and the users.)
Where is the documentary proof. These are quite broad claims you are making.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.