Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Apple serious about privacy?

• Total voters

moons_mooniverse

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022
I wouldn't use wikipedia. Anyone could add anything.
Bro, IDFA is created by Apple. It‘s part of the iPhone. It‘s a feature. You can turn it on or off in the settings. I used to be on by default. Since iOS 15.4 it‘s turn off by default and instead user can turn it on by clicking „Ask app to track“

Reactions: dk001

moons_mooniverse

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022
It's worth noting that this 25 year "fan boy" waited to join the largest Apple news, rumor, gossip forum a week ago and immediately started to sow Apple FUD...

I'm sure you've got your reasons...
Hey Analog Kid, I‘m a regular Macrumors reader since many many years. I don’t know. At least 10 years. Probably longer. I started reading posts one year ago. I signed up last week to join the discussion. Being a fan not necessarily means you need to sign up for a forum and join discussions. I also don’t think that it‘s sowing Apple FUD. I was just very surprised and also sad when I noticed that Apple indeed uses trackers on it‘s website that Safari doesn’t show. They were advertising this feature (Safari spotting and preventing website trackers) in many keynotes/Apple events and they are secretly using it by themself and hiding it in their own browser.
Ok, but if this doesn’t bother you… that’s fine.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022

moons_mooniverse

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022

platinumaqua

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2021
Reactions: moons_mooniverse

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
As i have understand it; Apple collects data from the user. Hos much compared to Google or other tech-companies i do not know.
But Apple, unlike Google, don’t sell our data to company that sees us, the people, as the products.
That is only a theory i have.
Maybe i am wrong about this?

• Love
Reactions: ndouglas

chama98

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2014
London
As i have understand it; Apple collects data from the user. Hos much compared to Google or other tech-companies i do not know.
But Apple, unlike Google, don’t sell our data to company that sees us, the people, as the products.
But that is with user consent though right?

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
It’s a business strategy only.

I’m an Apple fan boy (>25 years) like most of you guys. I love my iPhone, iPad and Macs & buy every year new ones.
But one thing really bothers me.
Their constant emphasis on how important privacy is to them even they are not serious about it.

A big claim. I know. But hear me out.

1. Hidden tracker on Apple.com

Visit Apple.com using Safari. No trackers are shown.
Then visit Apple.com using DuckDuckGo. Apple is using it’s own tracker on it’s website.

2. Apple Notes collects the content of your notes and links it to your identity.

3. Apple Music collects your content, location, indentifiers, search history, usage data & more and links it to your identity

I mean with this information alone (notes content, location and music I’m listening to) they know everything about me.

Well I mean I don’t know it you are using Apple Notes or Apple Music as much as I do. But I know that I can not turn these data collecting practices off. (Sure stop using these products, but come on… it’s a way different practice than what they pretend to do)

4. It was Apple who created IDFA for advertisers and enabled it by default.

Yes, Apple enabled “Ask app to track” by default for you. For years!!!

It was Apple who shared your data.

They are not serious about privacy. They created it.

Disabling it by default (after years and years) was a business decision only.

Now that many companies were depending on it, they are turning it of your default.

Why?

To hurt these other companies.

Why?

Because these companies are becoming serious competition in the near future.

Oculus is a very advanced VR device.

I have no doubt that Apples VR headset will be amazing.

But they will be competitors like never before.

(Although I personally would prefer using a headset from Apple, I think it’s not ok to use the power in such a way to hurt other companies and the users.)
While you are correct on many points, it's not as black and white as many want to paint the whole thing:

Obviously, a company that really wants to give users the most control of data collection and privacy should allow you to disable all of it despite rendering the product/service virtually useless as a consequence.

However, I think it's important to remember what the collected data is used for. The data isn't sold to third parties as consumer reports nor is it turned into leads for advertisers to target you and your particular consumer demographic.

Everything Apple does is for profit so obviously there's no intrinsic, altruistic reasoning behind the whole "iPhone = privacy" strategy.

But just because the motivation is money doesn't mean that Apple's efforts on privacy are not serious and offer nothing worthwhile for its customers.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Could be. One of the challenges is that Apple is mum about what it does with the data. Now we are seeing Apple delivered ads expanding. When it comes to data use and claims, there is Apple and there is Apple Advertising.

Reactions: Gk200062YVR

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
Could be. One of the challenges is that Apple is mum about what it does with the data. Now we are seeing Apple delivered ads expanding. When it comes to data use and claims, there is Apple and there is Apple Advertising.
You may be right.
If Apple collects data from us, they have to use it somehow. I dont think that Apple just ”sits” on the data collected from the users and store it somewhere.
They probably, like you said, use it for example for ads and targeted ads, more and more like Google.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
While I'm not a fan of adverts, I'm okay with Apple serving me up ads, based on my data and the advertiser doesn't have access to my demographic information. If this is the way of the world so be it. At least Apple should do this in a privacy protecting way.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]

Obviously, a company that really wants to give users the most control of data collection and privacy should allow you to disable all of it despite rendering the product/service virtually useless as a consequence.

[...]
That, to me, would go against Apple principles. If one wanted that type of thing...that is to render the product/service useless, buy an android.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
While I'm not a fan of adverts, I'm okay with Apple serving me up ads, based on my data and the advertiser doesn't have access to my demographic information. If this is the way of the world so be it. At least Apple should do this in a privacy protecting way.

I'm not against some ads in general, I would like to know though just what Apple is doing with the data and how this ties in to ads.

Reactions: moons_mooniverse

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm not against some ads in general, I would like to know though just what Apple is doing with the data and how this ties in to ads.
I don't care what Apple is doing with my data provided it doesn't leave the walled garden, but that's me. Just like the 50 or so companies I do business with, I can't worry about the data policies of 50 companies, unless they are so egregious some action is warranted.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸

Attachments

• B646945E-44AF-4A31-9A4D-321A53146A84.jpeg
    B646945E-44AF-4A31-9A4D-321A53146A84.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 80

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
Bro, IDFA is created by Apple. It‘s part of the iPhone. It‘s a feature. You can turn it on or off in the settings. I used to be on by default. Since iOS 15.4 it‘s turn off by default and instead user can turn it on by clicking „Ask app to track“
"The IDFA is used for tracking and identifying a user (without revealing personal information)." https://www.adjust.com/glossary/idfa/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.