Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
While we are at it, let's go back to CD's

You might want to tell that yo the music industry. Although streaming services account for 85% of all music distributed, the CD industry is still worth hundreds of millions of pounds globally every year. It’s never gone away even if many of us haven’t bought a CD in years.

Reactions: robes1

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
No I don’t. I think the OP is delusional.

I was simply stating what I was seeing in Tapatalk and voicing my shock that he would have that many likes.

• Love
Reactions: Homme

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The first phone I had without the jack was the 8+. I removed all my iTunes music from it as my music listening moved to other devices and it saved me about 8GB in storage. I now occasionally stream through Amazon music and have a pair of Bluetooth headphones, however I mostly use the lightning earphones with my iPhone.

It’s all about workarounds rather than technology evolution for many of us.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I too wish the 3.5mm jack would return, but I realize it probably wont come back.

As someone who works with audio for a living, there's a noticeable drop in sound quality when using the lightning port to a 3.5mm audio connection, compared to the old 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

Even more so with bluetooth connections.
Maybe Apple should bring back the jack on the iphone pro models with a high end DAC, like maybe how they have done with the new macbook pros?

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Then you have an issue, refresh the page
Until know just 6 likes
I see 119 likes at the moment. One of them is mine, and for what it's worth: I clicked 'like' because the title was so freaking comical, I couldn't help myself. It's so absurd that I found it hilarious. But I have zero interest in actually bringing back the jack.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
ooh! That’s an awesome idea….Said no one EVER!

LOL, I don’t think so! Dumbest thing ever! When was the last time you wore wired headphones while working and they didn’t get in your way?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

LOL, I don’t think so! Dumbest thing ever! When was the last time you wore wired headphones while working and they didn’t get in your way?

After 200 posts and more than 100 likes to the op your reply sounds somewhat… shall we say random?

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

It depends what you value, sound quality or convenience? Not really as dumb as you suggest when so many people still use wired headphones. You may prefer Bluetooth, but this is a preference that divides opinion and probably always will.

Maybe Apple should bring back the jack on the iphone pro models with a high end DAC, like maybe how they have done with the new macbook pros?
I think that would be a little unfair to the vast majority of iPhone users who don’t buy iPhone Pro’s and would have little impact overall.

Reactions: snipr125

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Wired audio connections have better sound quality
While that is true, would majority of people even notice on iPhone?

If I want hi-fidelity music, I will listen to it on my component system not on my iPhone.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
While that is true, would majority of people even notice on iPhone?

If I want hi-fidelity music, I will listen to it on my component system not on my iPhone.

Since lossless is widely available in streaming now, yes, many would. And most do not have component Hi-Fi systems at home anymore, nor do they want to, so let the most common computer in everyone’s hands take care of that as much as possible. Better to have options than not.

Reactions: snipr125

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Since lossless is widely available in streaming now, yes, many would.

I am willing to bet a large sum of money that the vast majority of headphones users would not be able to hear the difference between lossless and a decently compressed version of the same track, especially considering the relatively cheap DAC in an iPhone.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Seriously just leave a lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter on your headphones.

If you're going to boycott iPhones until the 3.5mm jack comes back, you'd best switch to Android because it's not happening.

They last about 3 months. Then have to buy more silly adapters. Gets old.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I am willing to bet a large sum of money that the vast majority of headphones users would not be able to hear the difference between lossless and a decently compressed version of the same track, especially considering the relatively cheap DAC in an iPhone.

Totally possible but then those with better cans and an interest in the matter could. Options, better to have than to not have them, in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.