Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
Meh - I bought an iPod classic Gen 5.5 with a new battery in it off eBay for $75, if I really want to listen to music with my higher end 3.5mm headphones and that sweet, sweet Wolfson DAC

Otherwise I don’t want wires with my phone…

booker357

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
I just want to be able to use a wired headset for phone calls, why is this not allowed? or am I doing something wrong?

booker357

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
Perfectly possible with an adapter- or the lightning headphones.
Actually no, I have tried multiple lightning to 3.5 mm adapters, including official apple, and they do not work for phone calls. They work fine for music and youtube/web videos, but not phone calls. I have not tried the "official" apple lightning headphones yet, but I don't really feel that I should have too

booker357

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
Actually no, I have tried multiple lightning to 3.5 mm adapters, including official apple, and they do not work for phone calls. They work fine for music and youtube/web videos, but not phone calls. I have not tried the "official" apple lightning headphones yet, but I don't really feel that I should have too
Also, I can't find much on line about this, except for a long thread of people complaining about it on and apple support forum. If I'm missing anything, please feel free to let me know

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

My apologies I was under the impression that worked - what exactly appears to be the problem, does the microphone not work?

booker357

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
My apologies I was under the impression that worked - what exactly appears to be the problem, does the microphone not work?
the headphones are simply not an option when choosing an output, (far right button on the phone call) like the phone doesn't recognize the device during a phone call

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
Just get a 3.5mm to lightning adapter and plug the earbuds with the headphone jack into the adapter. Plug the adapter into the iPhone.

Apple and Anker make them and are available at Best Buy.

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Personally, I'm boycotting iPhones until Apple finally man's up and releases a phone with no holes in it. Cables are uncouth and unsightly.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
While options are great to have, I have not missed the 3,5 jack at all, I started using wireless headphones anyway around when Apple removed it. Sound quality over Bluetooth is significantly better. For lossless listening I’m stuck at my desk, but it’s always been like that.

There will be no boycott from doolar’s household! ?

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
I’m showing he has 72 likes.

You wish his post had that much likes

No it’s currently has 12 likes… 12 apparently who still along with the OP think 3.5mm should be brought back on iPhone

I mean it’s been 5 years since apple released an iPhone without the headphone jack and over 5 years since apple released the last iPhone with a headphone jack (SE). Why bother wanting this feature back it will never happen

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You wish his post had that much likes

No it’s currently has 12 likes… 12 apparently who still along with the OP think 3.5mm should be brought back on iPhone

I mean it’s been 5 years since apple released an iPhone without the headphone jack and over 5 years since apple released the last iPhone with a headphone jack (SE). Why bother wanting this feature back it will never happen
It is much like with the new MacBook Pro 14” and 16” where Apple added back ports that were previously removed. People complaining that they have no need for such ports. Damned if you, damned if you don’t.

Last edited by a moderator:

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
It is much like with the new MacBook Pro 14” and 16” where Apple added back ports that were previously removed. People complaining that they have no need for such ports. Damned if you, damned if you don’t.

Not really. Difference is with those MacBooks they aren’t waterproof or have any IP rating though with iPhones 7 and above they managed to give those phones IP67 and above in fact because there is no headphone jack as the headphone jack was in the way of iPhones from having that rating

Also both devices are totally different in portability and wireless headphones are improved very well since then till now

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Not really. Difference is with those MacBooks they aren’t waterproof or have any IP rating though with iPhones 7 and above they managed to give those phones IP67 and above in fact because there is no headphone jack as the headphone jack was in the way of iPhones from having that rating

Also both devices are totally different in portability and wireless headphones are improved very well since then till now
My point is Apple removes ports, people complain. Apple adds ports, people complain. It does not matter what the reason is.

Reactions: Homme

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

From what I read in the past multiple Samsung devices had a water resistant headphone jack. It’s not rocket science but a convenient excuse when selling wireless headphones as well.
I also wouldn’t give much on the water resistance claims of a manufacturer who at the same time claims that their water seals perish over time and that water damage isn’t covered by their warranty, as this forum has documented many times.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Look, apple will most likely never bring back the headphone jack but for those who think it was a great idea I will never understand that frame of mind. Each and every time apple removes anything it saves them money from that component even if it cost them 20 cents. Millions of iPhone sold @ 20 cent saving is a lot of money and its a lose lose for the consumer!

robes1

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
I too wish the 3.5mm jack would return, but I realize it probably wont come back.

As someone who works with audio for a living, there's a noticeable drop in sound quality when using the lightning port to a 3.5mm audio connection, compared to the old 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

Even more so with bluetooth connections.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
While we are at it, let's go back to CD's

Again let’s maybe concentrate on features that the device actually used to have rather than trying to ridicule the OP.

Macs still have the jack too, so courage only goes so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.