Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
FM radio is now streamed via apps. Radio Garden is brilliant! Check it out.

But wouldn't it be great if they included a thermocouple so the actual outside temperature could be measured! And if the camera was configured so it covers the infrared spectrum as well.
I'm talking FM radio not streaming.
My eyesight is bad. I don't drive or own a phone.
In a previous message, I have evacuated wild fires and once had NOTHING but real radio and electricity.
Radio Garden is cute but not brilliant. Just quicker to move around.
I do love Internet radio.
I live in CA. and listen to an FM station in TX. Also a daytime only AM station in WA.
They both stream.
My point, a 10 inch screen is as small as I can go, and I still zoom in about 10X.
I briefly owned an iPad mini. No go.

KurtMann

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2021
Would love to see an Iphone Touch. If they want more space just remove the camera. I hate the protruding bull going on in the back. Only time I rock wireless is in the gym. But obviously people don't care, and Apple will cry all the way to the bank when I buy a Paranoid Android.

"When I am king, You will be first against the wall, with your opinion, which is of no consequence at all
What's that? (I may be paranoid, but no android)"

Last edited by a moderator:

noleli

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
Low-latency monitoring is critical for a lot of pro audio applications.

As for me, I just ordered a replacement battery kit for my original SE (2016). The Last Good iPhone™.

Reactions: Slarti.BartFast

NO1EYENO

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
Thailand
Why only 3.5mm Be a Man and go with a Full RCA Jack and plug in Studio Headphones! And another advantage you can clean out the hole with a Q-Tip !!!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Also, another questionable article written by a person who has background in economics and journalism, and not science (especially on that subject).

Just to be clear. I’m not against your concerns, we all have them. An article written by someone without scientific background in the field cannot be trusted because some of the information can be misunderstood by the author themselves because of lack of knowledge and then passed on to readers.

But again, this is normal nowadays. It’s easier to quote some blogger than refer to scientific literature.

Also, putting something out there and asking to prove it’s not false is plain manipulation.
Yes, it has become "normal" nowadays because people are not being taught "readin' writin' and 'rithmetic" in schools any longer.

To everyone who is so desensitized by the algorithms to actually understand the technology by which bluetooth and wifi work, just get your own cheap EMF meter and test the results yourself.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
The "Ozone layer thingie"? Holy crap.

Between your "sunlight cures cancer", your "scholarly articles" about bluetooth radiation (because the bottom line is scientists can't agree upon the effects of EMF, any brief amount of attendance on google university will tell you that), not to mention the contradiction in terms as you rail against bluetooth radiation and relish in solar radiation, I have major difficulty figuring out how you made it this far.
I'm sorry you needed to go to personal attack instead of just buying yourself a cheap EMF meter and measuring your devices for yourself.

voraciousvegan

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
Reading some of your defenses of Apple is just absolutely astonishing. There are age-old things that JUST WORK and should NOT be changed or obliterated unless a better replacement arrives. The 3.5mm jack is still as ubiquitous today as it was in the past, still has many uses, and bluetooth audio is not a reliable replacement for it.

For one, it's not as if this small jack took up that much space inside the phones. As an Airpods owner, I still prefer using wired earphones, as I can't be bothered with constantly charging my Airpods. All this does is force us to: 1) Use unreliable bulky dongles; 2) If we get the reliable double lightning dongle, we need new lightning connector earphones, which MACS DON'T HAVE PORTS FOR!; 3) Compel us to keep buying new Airpods for better battery; 4) Compel us to buy Magsafe chargers so we can free up the port for wired audio & charge at the same time.

The old adage always rings true: Don't fix what ain't broke.

Reactions: KurtMann

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I was microphone jacked in the early ‘80’s. Pretty scary, and I didn’t stand up for myself. But Vanilla Ice was a tough kid back then, so…

voraciousvegan

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
Let's not act as though ingress protection was why Apple removed the port. All that takes is good sealing of the ports, and Samsung previously did that in their phones. Most lightning + 3.5mm port dongles are unreliable and tend to stop working after a period of time -- I've had that issue with Belkin's dongle. As I said, the only option is a double lightning dongle, which is irritating b/c it requires a separate earphone for the iPhone, or more adapters to also use interchangeably with other devices.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Let's not act as though ingress protection was why Apple removed the port.

Fine. It was removed for cost, space and complexity, because obviously next to nobody cares enough about it to buy a different phone.

I've had that issue with Belkin's dongle. As I said, the only option is a double lightning dongle, which is irritating b/c it requires a separate earphone for the iPhone, or more adapters to also use interchangeably with other devices.

The Apple dongle that came with my iPhone 7 still works fine.

If I need to charge and use headphones at the same time (which has literally never happened) I’ll just flop the phone on a Qi charger.

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
I'd rather have a USB C or a Thunderbolt 4 charging port. You can buy a Belkin adapter that has a 3.5mm headphone to lightning adapter as well as an adapter for charging and listening using a 3.5 mm headphone jack.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Sure go ahead and boycott Apple that is your right as a consumer. The possibility of Apple reversing course and adding it back in, not a chance. There is no reason that Apple wants to do this, they want to sell AirPods.

Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Why would I boycott Apple just for this reason alone? Sure, it’s always good to have a 3.5mm headphone jack available but just to avoid the phone altogether for not having that, and ignoring other aspects of the phone, is just out of this world.

noleli

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
Wouldn't a pro USB microphone have a practically zero-latency headphone jack?

Even my $60 Amazon Basics Desktop Mini Condenser Mic has a 3.5 mm analog jack.

If it doesn't, just plug them both into a hub?
Some do, but I have a Shure MV88. The MV88+ does, but it seems crazy that I should have to get a new mic because the new phones don’t have a headphone jack.

Also, I have an hour+ commute each way by public transit. Less of an issue now that I wfh most of the time, but when I was doing that commute regularly, not being able to charge and listen via wired headphones at the same time would have been a real problem.

Shlepping more kit around isn’t the solution when there used to be a built-in solution. Tomorrow’s MBP announcement will demonstrate that Apple recognizes that on the laptop side. They know it’s true on the phone side, too; they’re just prioritizing waterproofness over functionality these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.