Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
If that’s the case then I’m really impressed that they created thousands of new mixes for all the 5.1 movies on iTunes. But I’m not complaining. They are great, and every movie I have tried in my library has impressed me.

But upon reflection I don’t believe that Apple or the studios created new mixes just for spatial audio Since remastering thousands of movies just for this feature wouldn’t make sense when a simple algorithm can take a 5.1 channel track and adjust the sound on the fly in real time.

Last edited:

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
The studios create the mixes. They make one for home theater, and they make another for TV. Compare the same movie on HBO Max or Apple TV with spatial audio to the same movie on Netflix with an Atmos fold down to stereo. I bet they will sound the same.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I'm betting those are two completely different mixes and the mixes are responsible for the difference, not spatial audio.
Currently it is not possible for spatial audio does to "toggle a different track". It is purely a switch for turning the DSP for the feature itself on or off.

There is definitely a difference with spatial audio turned on (provided you are listening to compatible material). Maybe you just don't like the effect? That's certainly your right. But your strong feelings of minimal or no difference leads me to believe something is not quite right with your gear (firmware version? fake AirPods?) and spatial audio is just not working properly for you to actually hear it.

Reactions: marvin_h

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I'm using AirPods Max. All functional. Spatial Audio turned on. Head tracking works. I've found that David Attenborough documentaries have the best sound on blu-ray in my 5.1 speaker system- immersive and lots of rear channel information. So I compared a recent Attenborough doc The Year Earth Changed on AppleTV in Spatial Audio Atmos to the Attenborough doc Our Planet on Netflix in regular Atmos folded down to normal stereo. The only difference in sound quality between the two was the head tracking. There was absolutely no front/back depth, no sound coming from the rear, no difference in the volume of the voice over, no difference in the placement of sounds left to right. It wasn't spatial, it was regular headphone stereo.

Netflix presents the best stereo sound it can, folded down from the Atmos track. Apple might be deliberately hobbling the non spatial track if it detects you can play spatial audio, but I don't know how to toggle spatial audio on or off on my iPhone. In the AppleTV app, it selects the audio track for you. You can't choose. The same for HBO Max I think.

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
I don't know how to toggle spatial audio on or off on my iPhone. In the AppleTV app, it selects the audio track for you. You can't choose. The same for HBO Max I think.

You cannot choose spatial audio in the apps. You have to choose it in the OS itself. When you choose it to be "on," then all 5.1 tracks in compatible apps (eg, iTunes movies) are converted on the fly to spatial audio. They don't have a separate track that you can choose.

How To Geek has a good tutorial:

How to Quickly Toggle Spatial Audio On and Off​

To quickly turn Spatial Audio on and off, you can also use the Control Center. Open it by swiping down from the top right corner of your iPhone or iPad’s display.

Long-press the volume control that has a small picture of your AirPods to access their options.

Accessing AirPods options in the IPhone Control Center.

At the bottom of the screen, tap the “Spatial Audio” option to turn it on and off.

You can also adjust their transparency mode from here, controlling how the noise cancellation works on your AirPods

AirPods Spatial Audio and Noise Control toggles.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Thanks for the info marvin_h, that helped me figure it out a lot better. It appears that the Spatial Audio is taking the soundtrack and adding a slight phase reverb giving it the sound of a small room with concrete floor. Then it boosts the bass and adds a bit of phase shift to that, and raises the volume a bit. With Spacial Audio switched off it has the exact same placement of the sounds across the stereo spread, just no phase effect and a slightly lower volume. It's the exact same mix.

I don't think this is using the multichannel sound from the streaming service at all. I think this is a DSP on top of regular stereo. There's no reason that this kind of DSP couldn't be applied across the board to Netflix and YouTube and Spotify. I don't think the streaming source has anything to do with it. I think the standard stereo signal is being processed by the phone. No Atmos at all. I bet Apple is looking to license streaming services. If they pay a fee, Apple allows them to include a flag that enables the DSP in the phone.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Guys, spatial audio works on Mac without Dolby atmos. I don’t get how it knows where my monitor is but it works!

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Does it work with any audio that comes through the computer, like youtube or iTunes?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Does it work with any audio that comes through the computer, like youtube or iTunes?
Yes. In control center it shows what kind of audio it is streaming, stereo or surround, with spatial audio.

when it’s stereo, it’s as if the audio is coming from the display

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
I'm using AirPods Max. All functional. Spatial Audio turned on. Head tracking works. I've found that David Attenborough documentaries have the best sound on blu-ray in my 5.1 speaker system- immersive and lots of rear channel information. So I compared a recent Attenborough doc The Year Earth Changed on AppleTV in Spatial Audio Atmos to the Attenborough doc Our Planet on Netflix in regular Atmos folded down to normal stereo. The only difference in sound quality between the two was the head tracking. There was absolutely no front/back depth, no sound coming from the rear, no difference in the volume of the voice over, no difference in the placement of sounds left to right. It wasn't spatial, it was regular headphone stereo.
Seriously? There was a profound difference in the narration soundstage when I watched. With SA on, it sounded like Sir David was in a theater somewhere to the rear of my position. Moving my head, he stayed in the same virtual space. There was also noticeable background sounds emanating from all over the place.

I did notice his "Earth changed" special wasn't loaded with lots of back/side channel, at least not as much as any of his BBC productions. But then, most of those aren't in Atmos.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
The two programs I compared were both in Atmos. Absolutely no sense that any sound was coming from behind or at a distance in front. Everything was a straight line through my ears, just like all headphones. If I turn my head, the sound pans left and right. It doesn't move in front of me.

I don't think you can do Atmos with true surround on the APMs.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Yes. In control center it shows what kind of audio it is streaming, stereo or surround, with spatial audio.
when it’s stereo, it’s as if the audio is coming from the display
I wonder how you got that toggled on? Are you using a beta OS?

Spainask27

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
To get the best spatial audio experience, should I turn on or off Follow iPhone in Accessibility? Thanks

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
It doesn't sound any better with Dolby Atmos on Apple Music. What a disappointment.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
It might sound better to you. It depends on how you feel about phase/reverb and EQ processing. It isn't multichannel.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
If you toggle Spatial Audio in and out on your phone, you can hear exactly what it does. There's some added reverb and a bass boost.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Dolby Atmos working for me on AirPod Pro’s, sounds phenomenal. MASSIVE upgrade to audio. MAKE SURE the music is Dolby, search Dolby Atmos in Apple Music for a list of playlists made by Apple, make sure the toggle in CC says Dolby Atmos and Spartial.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I find the volume of the music much lower with spatial/dolby activated, is there a way to fix?

JSteele

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2021
Does VLC still not work with Dolby tracks? Does FE File Explorer Pro work with MKV files that are E-AC3?

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I think Handbrake will convert any audio format in an MKV to any other compatible format. And I think Plex can play anything in an MKV. Might be wrong about that though.

JSteele

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2021
Sure, but I’d rather not have to process all my video files that exist if possible. If VLC or FE File Explorer Pro worked with Dolby Atmos audio tracks in MKV too that would be awesome. Id be happy to check but not sure how to tell haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.